Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2022, 7:53 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by diburning
Assuming that the post-April-1st policy is in effect when I travel in June, is the random test *just* to track variants? Or would I have to sit and wait for a result as well? I have a 2-stop Air Canada ticket with a Canada domestic flight in the middle, so I'd be entering Canada only to leave again.
You can take your connecting flights and don't have to isolate. If the test is positive then yes in theory you should isolate 10 days (even if in most provinces it is 5 days).
Old Mar 17, 2022, 1:28 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I prefer to count my chickens after the eggs have hatched. Because sometimes people say things very shortly before announcements that end up not, you know, being announced:

Or was I imagining that I have had to keep taking pre-departure tests on all my <72-hour trips since February 28th?

April 1 is also not the same as March 31, which is what we were told just a few days ago.

It's very easy to score a goal with every shot when you move the posts to where you've shot the puck, and ignore all the shots that miss the net.
Why are you splitting hairs on this ? Haven't you been on FT long enough to know that no one is an authority on anything or everyone is on everything ? Speculation is 90% of what FTers do...
Glad to have people contributing and it's apparent who is in the know and who isn't.... FT "evangelist" is an apt term.

Anyway from my perspective, I thank YYZ1313 for whatever contribution s/he can make and don't take his/her word or anyone's word on an internet forum for that matter as the absolute truth.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 4:41 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
It has been officially announced that no pre entry test is required. So it is Official.
LETTERBOY and casey89 like this.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 5:47 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I prefer to count my chickens after the eggs have hatched. Because sometimes people say things very shortly before announcements that end up not, you know, being announced:
I MUCH prefer to have an advance "heads up" from a proven-to-be knowledgable source so I can plan accordingly, knowing that nothing is guaranteed until it becomes official. For example, last year, we were given a heads up that hotel quarantine was ending in early July. I was due to come home in June. I cancelled and booked for July 7. Once it was officially announced, it was either impossible or prohibitively expensive to get tickets those first few days. The advance info saved me a lot of money and had it not come to pass, I could have easily changed flights again. But at least I had them in place before the masses tried to book.

Or was I imagining that I have had to keep taking pre-departure tests on all my <72-hour trips since February 28th?
Unless I am misunderstanding what you are saying, if you mean you haven't had to test for less than 72 hour trips since Feb 28, then you must have some special magic. They removed the <72 hour trip exemption a long time ago.

Starting February 28: proof of a professionally administered or observed negative antigen test taken outside of Canada no more than 1 day before your scheduled flight or entry to Canada by land or water

End of short trip exemption: the pre-entry testing exemption for trips 72 hours or less ended on December 21, 2021.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...ng-into-canada

April 1 is also not the same as March 31, which is what we were told just a few days ago.
Oh, please. So he was off by one day. Hang him!
It's very easy to score a goal with every shot when you move the posts to where you've shot the puck, and ignore all the shots that miss the net.
He doesn't miss that often and when he does, at least he hits the post.
jimba and frankycrankie like this.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 5:57 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Finkface
Oh, please. So he was off by one day. Hang him!
Assuming it takes effect at 12.00.01am he was actually off by 2 seconds.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 6:19 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
Good point, my mistake!
OSSYULYYZ and jimba like this.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 7:54 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by xray
Anyway from my perspective, I thank YYZ1313 for whatever contribution s/he can make and don't take his/her word or anyone's word on an internet forum for that matter as the absolute truth.
That's what I've been saying - it's not the absolute truth, and someone thinking of booking travel based on it should take that in to account. As I said, "I very much hope the information is correct (I have plans for several foreign trips in April), but I would not make any travel plans based on it."

Not everyone reads every post in the thread and realizes what is speculation (even if very well-informed speculation) and what is fact.

Unless I am misunderstanding what you are saying, if you mean you haven't had to test for less than 72 hour trips since Feb 28, then you must have some special magic.
You're definitely misunderstanding. I merely pointed out that YYZ1313 told us, on February 13th (<48 hours before the official announcement came), that the 72-hour trip exemption would be back as of February 28th. Which was wrong. If someone planned a March trip thinking they would benefit from that exemption, they might have been disappointed and/or out of pocket extra funds to cover the cost of unanticipated COVID tests.
JeffersonCampervan likes this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Mar 17, 2022 at 7:59 pm
Old Mar 17, 2022, 8:58 pm

just let it go man.

Thanks to yyz1313, absolute legend during these covid times
Old Mar 17, 2022, 11:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
Good point, my mistake!
If you want to be absolute, all changes with respect to Covid-19 have come into effect at midnight Eastern Time where the Capital of Canada, Ottawa, is located. At the stroke of midnight, it is still 9:00 pm Pacific Time, 10:00 pm Mountain & 11:00 pm Central Time, all of which are still March 31st.

Therefore, both March 31st & April 1st apply. Sure we are splitting hairs, but an announcement of March 31st wasn't qualified with a starting time. Was it start of day or end of day?. We can argue that it commenced at 9:00 pm Pacific Time which was April 1st in the Eastern Time Zone & The Maritime Provinces & Newfoundland & Labrador were already 60 & 90 minutes into the new day respectively.

Similarly, when the United States opened up the land borders on November 8th for leisure travelers, those eager to head South lined up hours ahead for the midnight opening while in British Columbia, the borders opened at 9:00 pm on November 7th.

James
OSSYULYYZ likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 7:52 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
It would be utterly stupid if anyone buys a ticket based on what someone on a forum says until it becomes official government policy. I do not think anyone here is stupid enough to do that just because YYZ1313 posted on a forum. I do not think YYZ1313 would also buy it until it becomes official.
That said it gives all of us (at least a lot us) a heads up in what may happen in the near future and plan accordingly. I certainly planned from that moment and bought my ticket yesterday as soon as it was official and it was easy for me because once that information from YYZ1313 was posted I was getting ready to buy as soon as it became official.
So I would like to thank YYZ1313 and all others who contribute positively here.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 1:49 pm

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by Davvidd
It would be utterly stupid if anyone buys a ticket based on what someone on a forum says until it becomes official government policy. I do not think anyone here is stupid enough to do that just because YYZ1313 posted on a forum. I do not think YYZ1313 would also buy it until it becomes official.
That said it gives all of us (at least a lot us) a heads up in what may happen in the near future and plan accordingly. I certainly planned from that moment and bought my ticket yesterday as soon as it was official and it was easy for me because once that information from YYZ1313 was posted I was getting ready to buy as soon as it became official.
So I would like to thank YYZ1313 and all others who contribute positively here.
It doesn't even have to be related to making a reservation. A conversation with one's employer to tentatively block a few days in April and get approval in principle then makes it much easier to pull the trigger on a good deal that comes up right after the official government announcement.

Keep them coming YYZ1313 !
mciampa and Davvidd like this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 6:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
My biggest obstacle traveling by air from Canada was the prospect of being stranded in a foreign country for 10 days should I test positive. I flew out of Buffalo instead because there is no testing requirement to board a domestic flight in the U.S. and if I make it to a border crossing I can't be denied entry to Canada even with a positive test. I'm looking forward to flying out of Pearson again (never thought I would ever say that.)
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 8:16 am

Programs: OW Emerald / BAEC Gold
The random post-arrival tests are still ongoing or this was vanished as well?
Old Mar 19, 2022, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by casey89
Still ongoing for the foreseeable future. But you don't need to self isolate while waiting test results, if selected for an arrival test.
casey89 and Davvidd like this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 9:50 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by casey89
"Random" means mandatory as we have seen from Dec 2021 onwards. Though I do wonder if those with a positive PCR test from the last 6 months will continue to be exempt from arrival testing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.