Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2022, 6:55 am

Programs: OW Emerald / BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by InfrequentFlyer2018
Happened to my GF on Saturday 3/5/22. It was easy, you register for a website, get the test and off you go. it took about 10 minutes. (we flew AA from DCA-YYZ)
oh. I am already registered on the toronto’s covid test provider (cant remember the name right now).
so the procedure is, that the CBP officer select you for a arrival (PCR?) test and you go to the testing site, get the swab and until the result you need to quarantine? Or is it antigen and you are good to go basically right away?
Old Mar 10, 2022, 6:56 am

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott T- Elite
Originally Posted by Sohigs
Thank you for sharing this information.
what are my options If I still have symptoms on the 11th day? Would Air Canada let me board? Or I should enter Canada Via land?
Old Mar 10, 2022, 7:06 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Bogwoppit
Keep antigen testing, tests are generally free at pharmacies (paid by US insurance companies etc). Maybe you will get a negative one, and you can use it to return home.
The cheaper/faster antigen tests still need to be signed off by a lab to be considered valid.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 7:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Hi Folks,
I flew in from YYZ to Newark on Tuesday and I tested positive in USA and I am vaccinated, Included the booster. Currently quarantining in the hotel.
What are my option going back to Canada? I was scheduled to fly AC tomorrow afternoon. That's not happening. How long I have to stay in the USA?
Was this a PCR test or an antigen test? Antigen tests are less accurate, so it could be a false positive. Take a PCR test ASAP.
psusaver likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Was this a PCR test or an antigen test? Antigen tests are less accurate, so it could be a false positive. Take a PCR test ASAP.
I did the Antigen test with (Switch Health) and tested positive. Then I did the PCR test yesterday at Walgreens. Waiting for results for PCR test,.
psusaver likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 7:30 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Hi Folks,
I flew in from YYZ to Newark on Tuesday and I tested positive in USA and I am vaccinated, Included the booster. Currently quarantining in the hotel.
What are my option going back to Canada? I was scheduled to fly AC tomorrow afternoon. That's not happening. How long I have to stay in the USA?
Sorry to hear, I'm batting covid myself now and it sucks. Was lucky to catch it in Canada and not stateside.

As mentioned, your best bet is daily antigen testing until you test negative and then get home.

A positive PCR has a few advantages as you won't need to test for a while after but then you are committing yourself for 10 days

...or you can drive, which may be the best way to get home, then do a PCR in Canada. Isolation is only 5 days and you can go from there

edit: I know people say Amtrack but you have to decide if you want to board a train with other people, tested positive
Old Mar 10, 2022, 7:34 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Pre-entry testing won't be required for fully vaccinated travellers starting March 31.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 7:35 am

Programs: OW Emerald / BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by YYZ1313
Pre-entry testing won't be required for fully vaccinated travellers starting March 31.
No way?? So it is going to be just like in the old times? You just sit on the plane and thats it? Of course ETA remains.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 8:14 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by casey89
No way?? So it is going to be just like in the old times? You just sit on the plane and thats it? Of course ETA remains.
Announcement will be coming soon, possibly today. Travellers may be randomly selected for testing upon arrival but they won't have to quarantine. The government will also give free rapid tests to every arriving travellers which they may decide to do or not at home. It's just for their peace of mind.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by lcohen999
Sorry to hear, I'm batting covid myself now and it sucks. Was lucky to catch it in Canada and not stateside.

As mentioned, your best bet is daily antigen testing until you test negative and then get home.

A positive PCR has a few advantages as you won't need to test for a while after but then you are committing yourself for 10 days

...or you can drive, which may be the best way to get home, then do a PCR in Canada. Isolation is only 5 days and you can go from there

edit: I know people say Amtrack but you have to decide if you want to board a train with other people, tested positive

I dont think I have this option available until 10 days? that what I heard. There is no clear answer available online using the land border.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 8:35 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
I dont think I have this option available until 10 days? that what I heard. There is no clear answer available online using the land border.
anecdotally, I know people who have crossed a land border with a positive test (basically everyone who went to Florida in December). As long as you have a quarantine plan you should be OK. Of course, YMMV
Old Mar 10, 2022, 9:01 am

You just made my day! I've been checking this thread daily for insider info. Can't wait to finally do a shopping trip on the first weekend of April.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 9:39 am

Announcement will be coming soon, possibly today. Travellers may be randomly selected for testing upon arrival but they won't have to quarantine. The government will also give free rapid tests to every arriving travellers which they may decide to do or not at home. It's just for their peace of mind.
that sounds amazing!!!!
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 11:07 am

Programs: AC MM E50, AF Flying Blue
That'd be great. Am about to book a flight around that date. Is it reliable info?

Thanks
Old Mar 10, 2022, 11:08 am

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
This makes no sense at all. If we have learned anything about the vaccines and new variants, it's that being vaccinated and even boosted (especially a few weeks after the booster) does hardly anything in terms of preventing contracting and spreading the virus.

Edit: what happened to the boosted Canuck in the other thread from today is illustrative. Starting March 31 (s)he would be able to unwittingly infect other fully vaxxed passengers. Genius! Wishing a speedy recovery of course, and no judgement/negative feelings whatsoever.

Having had the infection, which is a large portion of the unvaccinated children, provides just as good, or better immunity.

I don't know if it's incompetence, bureaucratic inertia or rank politics, but whoever is making these decisions... I just can't!
JNelson113 and strickerj like this.

Last edited by bambinomartino; Mar 10, 2022 at 11:33 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.