Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

USA Now Requires a Negative Covid Test For Air Entry From Canada Starting Jan 26

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA Now Requires a Negative Covid Test For Air Entry From Canada Starting Jan 26

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2022, 5:02 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
If someone has had covid within 3 months of entry to USA- one does not need to do a rapid antigen test- sufficient is proof of a positive covid test PLUS letter from a doctor saying that one has recovered from covid.

QUESTION- at least in Ontario - very few people can get an official positive covid test result of their covid infection.(whether pcr or even rapid antigen test at a testing assessment centre). One can confirm if by doing a rapid antigen test at home. So how does in this scenario does one get an official proof that one had covid- for the purposes of waiving doing the rapid antigen test within 1 day of entry into USA.
As far as I know, the only real option is to go to a private clinic after you’re no longer infectious and hope that you still show positive on a PCR test.
Old May 26, 2022, 2:02 pm

Anyone travel recently? What's the process to get tested and then upload results? Ideally we would do an at-home test, but then do you need to book a video? Flying out of YVR

Last edited by erics2356; May 26, 2022 at 2:07 pm
Old May 26, 2022, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by erics2356
Anyone travel recently? What's the process to get tested and then upload results? Ideally we would do an at-home test, but then do you need to book a video? Flying out of YVR
The easiest way is usually to go to a drug store or Walmart and get it done. It just needs to be a quick antigen test. A video-based home test can be effective too. You’ll upload results through your airline during your check-in procedure.
Old May 27, 2022, 9:07 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by erics2356
I did this last week. I had a rapid antigen kit from Switch Health, did the test from my home with a nurse on the other end of a video call and received the results promptly. Uploaded them to AC via the app and they were instantly approved. No problems whatsoever.
Old May 30, 2022, 9:18 am

Does anyone have advice for isolation hotels in Calgary? The process to get cleared to return to the US should my return test come up positive? I know I would have to wait 5-10 days (depending on airline).
I want to have all my ducks in a row should I test positive trying to come back to the US. I figure if I have all the info ready I wont need it, but if I don't have it ready I will, lol.
Old May 30, 2022, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SunkissedMommy
Does anyone have advice for isolation hotels in Calgary? The process to get cleared to return to the US should my return test come up positive? I know I would have to wait 5-10 days (depending on airline).
I want to have all my ducks in a row should I test positive trying to come back to the US. I figure if I have all the info ready I wont need it, but if I don't have it ready I will, lol.
If it were me and I tested positive in Canada I would just rent a car and drive to USA. Once you are in USA you can fly wherever you want.
lcohen999, LETTERBOY and gei like this.
Old May 30, 2022, 9:29 am

Programs: hahaha
Courtyard Calgary South and its sister property Residence Inn have always been a great value for me thanks to its proximity to amenities like groceries (use Instacart), decent takeout, and low cost for the newly-constructed rooms. Choose the latter property if you want a kitchenette for your isolation.

But yeah, I'd also drive home to the US or even isolate at a hotel south of the border...
SunkissedMommy likes this.
Old May 30, 2022, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
If it were me and I tested positive in Canada I would just rent a car and drive to USA. Once you are in USA you can fly wherever you want.
Are one way rental easy to come by? That was my first plan but figured Ca to US car rentals are probably not easy to get. My very quick search showed no options for the dates I might need them.
EmailKid likes this.

Last edited by SunkissedMommy; May 30, 2022 at 11:04 am
Old May 30, 2022, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Are one way rental easy to come by? That was my first plan but figured Ca to US car rentals are probably not easy to get. My very quick search showed no options for the dates I might need them.
My backup option would be to rent a uhaul. Another hack I have used is one way rentals sometimes require a one week minimum. So I rent for the week on paper but return it to USA in 24 hours and only get charged for the one day plus drop fee.
asovse1 likes this.
Old May 30, 2022, 4:29 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
If someone has had covid within 3 months of entry to USA- one does not need to do a rapid antigen test- sufficient is proof of a positive covid test PLUS letter from a doctor saying that one has recovered from covid.

QUESTION- at least in Ontario - very few people can get an official positive covid test result of their covid infection.(whether pcr or even rapid antigen test at a testing assessment centre). One can confirm if by doing a rapid antigen test at home. So how does in this scenario does one get an official proof that one had covid- for the purposes of waiving doing the rapid antigen test within 1 day of entry into USA.
I flew to HNL from YOW via YYZ and YVR under the above scenario. I experienced the covid infection over a month earlier. No issues with the covid result- as a physician (ie health care worker), the hospital will automatically give pcr tests to anyone with symptoms possibly reflective of an active covid infection.

The issue was the letter. My family doctor composed the letter - both he and I though would fit the acceptable format of the letter.

But AC at YOW stated that their interpretation of the letter was that it did not fit the acceptable format. So I was not allowed to board, until at the airport - I got the GP to amend the letter and sign it and send it by email which was printed out (in my case, by the concierge- as I am a SE)

The required phraseology which AC wanted was that "I was fit to travel".

When I arrived at YVR and went to US preclearance-- I was not asked to show the letter.

My letter was not loaded onto my pnr, no attached to the US attestation form (filled online).

I later found out from AC that US CBP randomly may check for the letter- if the letter is not acceptable, then the passenger would of be denied entry but also the airline would be fined.

So the airline on behalf of US CBP has to screen the letter (and of course see the results of the positive covid test are there).
Old Jun 6, 2022, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
My backup option would be to rent a uhaul. Another hack I have used is one way rentals sometimes require a one week minimum. So I rent for the week on paper but return it to USA in 24 hours and only get charged for the one day plus drop fee.
Greyhound, MegaBus, etc…. There are lots of cheap options depending on where you are and where you need to go.

In Calgary you can fly domestic to Vancouver and then bus to Seattle. Or Amtrak.
Once in Seattle you can fly anywhere in the States. A bit of a 2 step process, but whatever.

I am waiting to hear the story of someone who lives in San Diego, flys something like YYC-MEX-TIJ and then walks home…. 😁
Old Jun 10, 2022, 9:00 am

The inbound testing requirement ends Sunday. "The Biden administration will drop pre-departure COVID-19 international air testing requirements effective Sunday at 12:01 a.m. after heavy lobbying from airlines and the travel industry." (source)
SanDiego1K, LETTERBOY and Aired like this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 9:44 am

Come on, Canada, drop your silly rules.
LETTERBOY and TheCanuckian like this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 12:55 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
The inbound testing requirement ends Sunday. "The Biden administration will drop pre-departure COVID-19 international air testing requirements effective Sunday at 12:01 a.m. after heavy lobbying from airlines and the travel industry." (source)
One day too late for me 🥲

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.