Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

USA Now Requires a Negative Covid Test For Air Entry From Canada Starting Jan 26

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA Now Requires a Negative Covid Test For Air Entry From Canada Starting Jan 26

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2021, 4:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Heads up for anyone visiting Canada from the USA and going back home on Labor Day - many of the Shoppers Drug Mart locations are already full for weekend appointments and some are not doing the tests at all on the weekend due to to staff shortages. If you haven't already booked an appointment, you should have that done by today.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 10:58 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by bocastephen
That's not my question - can the form be finished at home and taken to the airport, or do we need to stand there and fill it in standing there?
Yes, I filled in mine online, printed it out and just handed it in last week. Saves a lot of time.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 11:01 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

It seems a reminder is required that this thread is meant solely for the discussion of air passengers flying into the U.S. from Canada requiring a negative COVID test so after a few post deletions let's please return the discourse to that topic.

Regards,

tcook052
Canada forum moderator
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by OSSYULYYZ
Shoppers Drug Mart in Ontario and Alberta are the only ones doing the Antigen Test.

https://covid-19.shoppersdrugmart.ca...igen-screening
This is the $40 test at Shoppers, correct. And this is good for entry back to the US? just trying to triple-check, as shoppers seems to refer to this as a screening (but then later, as a screening test in the FAQs). Also, seems no way to book these online, right? I just called in - seems only the PCR tests can be booked online?

also, seems the CDC attestation form can be completed at home, and gets submitted at the airport - presumably per TB security? Any additional forms that are needed as part of the departure process at the airport?
Old Sep 6, 2021, 11:14 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by emcampbe
This is the $40 test at Shoppers, correct. And this is good for entry back to the US? just trying to triple-check, as shoppers seems to refer to this as a screening (but then later, as a screening test in the FAQs).
Screening for Canadians (presumably getting more reliable PCR test if testing positive), but 100% OK for flying to US.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Screening for Canadians (presumably getting more reliable PCR test if testing positive), but 100% OK for flying to US.
Thanks for confirming.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 3:00 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by emcampbe
This is the $40 test at Shoppers, correct. And this is good for entry back to the US? just trying to triple-check, as shoppers seems to refer to this as a screening (but then later, as a screening test in the FAQs). Also, seems no way to book these online, right? I just called in - seems only the PCR tests can be booked online?

also, seems the CDC attestation form can be completed at home, and gets submitted at the airport - presumably per TB security? Any additional forms that are needed as part of the departure process at the airport?
we did the shoppers $40 antigen test and had no problems traveling home. Check my post in the pre clearance wait time thread for more details
kalderlake likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 3:05 pm

Costco?

I think that the Costco pharmacy is now offering the rapid antigen test as well....
Any experience?
Old Sep 26, 2021, 3:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by bocastephen
we did the shoppers $40 antigen test and had no problems traveling home. Check my post in the “pre clearance wait time” thread for more details

We are going to USA in 13 days (YVR to SFO).
But we live in Ottawa- so we will likely due rapid Ag covid test at Shopper's.
(we will fly to YVR on a Thurs evening; and fly from YVR to SFO on a Saturday morning).

What is the turn around time? Ideally, can I get the result in ?15 min - ie before leaving the premises?
So could I get the test done on Thurs morning in Ottawa - before boarding the plane from YOW to YVR just before 5 pm?
Old Sep 26, 2021, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII

What is the turn around time? Ideally, can I get the result in ?15 min - ie before leaving the premises?
it should be about 20-30 minutes
Old Oct 5, 2021, 7:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
In Montreal and heading to the US tomorrow, and used Go Test Rapide for my pre departure test. All very easy, smooth service, and quick results email within an hour. Cost wasn't as bad as I expected for Quebec with the Air Canada discount code at CAD 63.

Last edited by barneyb; Oct 5, 2021 at 7:47 pm
Old Oct 5, 2021, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
(we will fly to YVR on a Thurs evening; and fly from YVR to SFO on a Saturday morning).

So could I get the test done on Thurs morning in Ottawa - before boarding the plane from YOW to YVR just before 5 pm?
When you speak to the pharmacist and before taking the test, they actually already print the test result out indicating that you are negative. The whole process shouldn't take more than 20-25 minutes, including 15 minutes waiting for the results. I guess they only give you the test result if you test negative.

I would also call the Shoppers you plan to go to make sure that they a) do the test and b) hours during the day they do the test. Some only want to do antigen testing during the morning, others only during the afternoon, etc
Old Oct 8, 2021, 8:48 pm

Programs: MH Gold, AC Super Elite, UA Platinum, Accor All Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite
Ok, so I'm in Edmonton and I want a rapid PCR test done as I want to be able to travel with it to the U.S.and back within 72 hours. I need the result back in 1-2 hours . In Europe this is easily available,but in Canada it seems to be non-existent. Can anyone recommend a place who offers it?
Old Oct 10, 2021, 6:08 am

Programs: AC E75K
Well this was weird. Flying YYZ - LGA on AC today. Despite a failed online test verification, I was able to OLCI and receive a mobile boarding pass. Went through security and customs (new facial recognition from Global Entry was cool) with no issues. At the gate, I asked the gate agent if she needed to verify my test. She said just hold onto it. Im onboard now and nobody ever took a look.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by capedreamer
Well this was weird. Flying YYZ - LGA on AC today. Despite a failed online test verification, I was able to OLCI and receive a mobile boarding pass. Went through security and customs (new facial recognition from Global Entry was cool) with no issues. At the gate, I asked the gate agent if she needed to verify my test. She said just hold onto it. Im onboard now and nobody ever took a look.
My last several flights to USA from YYZ no one has asked to see my negative test or affidavit. Earlier in the summer we had to lineup pre-security to submit these.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.