Canada Will Require Negative COVID-19 Test 72 Hours Before Arrival

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada Will Require Negative COVID-19 Test 72 Hours Before Arrival

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2021, 10:19 pm

L

You're beyond awesome for this advise and help. Do you know if at this time entry into the USA is only for business matters, or can family visit?

I'm hoping by August things will change.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by Farid Jarrous
L

You're beyond awesome for this advise and help. Do you know if at this time entry into the USA is only for business matters, or can family visit?

I'm hoping by August things will change.
At this time (and since covid started) anyone can fly to USA for any reason. Land crossings into USA are only for essential or US citizens/residents.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by under2100
You can get the NAAT test at Walgreens (it's called ID NOW) accepted for Canada entry - although Walgreens say 24 hours, on this forum and my experience is that results come back in an hour. It's free, thanks Donald/Joe/UStaxpayer. Just tick on the form that you don't have insurance. Once you get the notification of result, download the LabPDF attachment: this contains your name, DOB, type of test (eg: IDNOW COVID-19 rapid diagnostic test (nucleic acid amplification test NAAT), date and time of test (in UTC), Lab name and address, and result as required to enter Canada

Q: when you say notification of result, what form is that, an email, a text message, or some alert from their walgreens mobile app?
Old Jun 16, 2021, 7:40 pm

I read of the NAAT tests done via drive thru centers, is that the only method, by residing inside a vehicle? no walk ins?
If i need the naat test for travel, and if the rapid test is the antigen test, which is unacceptable for entrance to canada but is the only test administered via a noncar visit that is quite limiting.

I read in the CVS site the following:

I don't drive. Can I walk in?

For drive-thru lab testing, a motor vehicle is required. Patients must remain in the vehicle at all times.
For rapid testing, a vehicle is not required. Wait in one of the designated parking spaces, either in a vehicle or on foot, and wait for the provider to call you for your test.
We also offer walk-up testing at a limited number of community testing sites for patients who don't drive. Check the list to find one open near you. Appointments are also required for these sites.

Last edited by abc5; Jun 16, 2021 at 7:54 pm
Old Jun 16, 2021, 8:16 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by abc5
Q: when you say notification of result, what form is that, an email, a text message, or some alert from their walgreens mobile app?
I got mine via email.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 8:17 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I read of the NAAT tests done via drive thru centers, is that the only method, by residing inside a vehicle? no walk ins?
If i need the naat test for travel, and if the rapid test is the antigen test, which is unacceptable for entrance to canada but is the only test administered via a noncar visit that is quite limiting.

I read in the CVS site the following:

I don't drive. Can I walk in?

For drive-thru lab testing, a motor vehicle is required. Patients must remain in the vehicle at all times.
For rapid testing, a vehicle is not required. Wait in one of the designated parking spaces, either in a vehicle or on foot, and wait for the provider to call you for your test.
We also offer walk-up testing at a limited number of community testing sites for patients who don't drive. Check the list to find one open near you. Appointments are also required for these sites.
Walgreens is the same. For the non-rapid tests, you must drive through, you can’t walk up. It is limiting but an Uber or taxi works.
abc5 and kalderlake like this.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 8:59 pm

You could just go through by taxi/uber. How did you propose to get to the drugstore in the first place? Or you could pay and get a test at the Seattle airport https://xprescheck.com/locations or nearby the airport (Doubletree Southcenter) https://discoveryhealthmd.com/. When I looked last week their NAAT is about $200.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 9:09 pm

It may depend on the particular lab your local drugstore uses. I got an email notification from Walgreens, which contained a link (browser) to a message from PWNHealth. Within the PWN message was a further link to a pdf they labelled 'LabPDF' which was what you want - it was terse and contained all the relevant infos for the border person. The PWN message also had another pdf link called 'EasyRead PDF' which did not contain all the infos but was written more in plain English.
abc5 likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 10:12 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by under2100
How did you propose to get to the drugstore in the first place?
Some of us have not owned a car in years. A little hot this time of year so my walking is somewhat limited, but bicycle is great and even public transport here and there. And not having a data plan for my mobile, Uber is bit of a challenge Not to mention that at least in Texas, there seems to be a Walgreens or CVS within walking distance in any major city.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 10:30 am
gei

You first make the appointment online, at which time you give your info including email address. Once the results are in you will be emailed a link with the results, which then gives you the option to download the "Lab PDF" which you can print and show to the border officer.

Technically it must be done at the drive-thru window. That way you are fully separated and they just slide the test out to you in a little drawer, you take it yourself, and slide it back to them.

I actually took an Uber from BUF to the Walgreens and then walked inside the Walgreens and asked if I could do the test inside. They said it had to be done via the drive-thru window, but they said it was fine if I just walked up to the drive-thru window outside - which I did. Realistically I could easily have just taken the Uber through the drive-thru as well - just let them know in advance and offer them a few bucks extra tip - the whole process only takes 2-3 minutes.
abc5 likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 5:03 pm

Programs: DL PM
I have a question - I am coming from US trying to go to Europe with a 2hr layover in YYZ on WestJet as the first leg of itinerary. My destination will not require a COVID PCR test. But will I still need one to board WestJet? I have been searching and I am not getting a clear answer, and it’s taking decades to get through the phone customer service.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 5:27 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by wooootles
I have a question - I am coming from US trying to go to Europe with a 2hr layover in YYZ on WestJet as the first leg of itinerary. My destination will not require a COVID PCR test. But will I still need one to board WestJet? I have been searching and I am not getting a clear answer, and it’s taking decades to get through the phone customer service.
From US one would think

Try Int'l connections at YYZ thread.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 5:35 pm

Westjet at T3 does not have the fancy sterile international connections like Air Canada in T1. Accordingly, you need to be admitted into Canada. If there are IROPS you could have problems. And you need a USA covid test within 72 hours of your flight (no exemption) and you probably need to take another covid test at YYZ (in transit probably exempt).

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Jun 18, 2021 at 5:52 pm
Old Jun 18, 2021, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL PM
Yikes. I booked a Delta Skymiles trip and these potential issues were not made clear to me. Thanks for the quick responses.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 5:53 pm

Yikes. I booked a Delta Skymiles trip and these potential issues were not made clear to me. Thanks for the quick responses.
Stick with USA>Europe. You are looking at a lot of unnecessary hassle transiting in Canada due to covid.
LETTERBOY and wooootles like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.