Reload this Page >

Americans transiting through Canada this summer

Old Apr 26, 21, 12:00 pm
exp
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS

I have a P fare from last year that I have to use on AC flights, booked through Priceline, from SFO returning to SFO. It was TATL and if I want to use it this summer, it likely will have to be another TATL. That's based on the interview given by the EC president yesterday about vaccinated Americans being able to visit the EU countries.

I was looking at flights on Google Flights and many of them have AC metal for the TATL segment at least outbound or return or both. Unless AC metal is both ways, the AC link won't be available. But PL link is broken either way, tries to load a one-way instead of multi city.

I also checked AC's site to see what kind of flights were available. Again, a lot of the flights on aircanada.com do not show up on PL. Instead of 18-19 hour return routings, PL only shows routings which go over 30 hours!

While looking through the AC site, I saw a disclaimer that Americans transiting through Canadian airports may be subject to quarantines. These were for dates in July, August. So US and EU may come to some agreement about TATL travel for the summer. Presumably the EU wouldn't be making announcements unless they had a good idea that the US govt. was open to it.

But Canada is well behind the US in vaccinations and could be behind the EU by the summer as well

So if I manage to book a TATL flight though Canada both ways, is it like that I would have problems transiting by July or August or beyond?
Old Apr 26, 21, 1:02 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
As far as I know the following still applies:

If you are connecting through Canada to an international destination, you are exempt from the mandatory pre-departure and on arrival COVID-19 testing and the 3-night stay at a government-authorized accommodation, as long as you remain in the secure terminal area.

You also do not have to submit your travel and contact information, quarantine information, and COVID-19 self-assessment through ArriveCAN.
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...#/more-details
Old Apr 26, 21, 1:05 pm
exp
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Thanks, I guess I will try rebooking but make sure I can change it again.
Old Apr 26, 21, 2:12 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
Since this question is about transiting Canada in general, rather than AC in particular, I'm moving this thread to the Canada forum.

Adam Smith
AC Forum Co-Moderator
Old May 5, 21, 6:15 pm
Used to be highman123

To second that question - is travel permitted in both directions? It seems travel from the US via Canada is a no brainer. But what about INTL-Canada-US (on one ticket)?

From what I read an overnight is NOT allowed (even in the terminal area). However does INTL-US prescreen require going through a non-sterile transit - for instance in Vancouver?
Old May 5, 21, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA MP
Air Canada's quarantine warning for US-Athens booking incorrect?

I am trying to book SFO-ATH-SFO round trip for this September.

Air Canada's booking site pops up the following warning during booking:

"Connecting in Canada upon your return? Your connecting flight may be impacted by Canada entry requirements – call us to rebook

Customers arriving in Canada will be required to quarantine for up to three days in a government-authorized accommodation at their first point of entry. Once you’ve booked your flight, contact us to rebook your connecting flight to accommodate the quarantine requirement. Learn more"

This does not seem consistent with guidance from the travel.gr.ca website:

"During your connection at the Canadian airport

You must remain in the secure transit area to complete your connection. This means that you will not be allowed to collect your baggage, or check-in for your next flight anywhere but at your scheduled gate of departure.

You are exempt from the arrival and Day-8 testing requirements and the mandatory hotel stopover, as long as you remain in the secure transit area to complete your connection within 24 hours."

Should I be worried about Air Canada's quarantine warning? Or can I disregard?
Old May 5, 21, 6:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Elite/Ambassador. NEXUS, National
The warning says "may", and it may be.

If your inbound is delayed and you have to overnight, and (voluntarily or not) leave the airport, Canadian quarantine restrictions "may" apply.

You "may" rebook, and you "may" want to.

Or not travel at all during a global pandemic you "may" have heard about.
Old May 5, 21, 6:39 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
If you're transiting internationally, you don't have to quarantine. If you click the "Learn more" link, it takes you to a page with details on the entry requirements. On there, you would see "Connecting in Canada", which would give you the following text:

If you are connecting through Canada to an international destination, you are exempt from the mandatory pre-departure and on arrival COVID-19 testing and the 3-night stay at a government-authorized accommodation, as long as you remain in the secure terminal area.

You also do not have to submit your travel and contact information, quarantine information, and COVID-19 self-assessment through ArriveCAN.

Since this is fundamentally a question about Canadian quarantine requirements rather than AC, I'm going to send this over to the Canada forum.

Adam Smith
AC Forum Co-Moderator
MightyTravels likes this.
Old May 5, 21, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Make sure you have a backup plan.
AC flights that far out are far from certain.
They sell a full schedule but in reality those flights probably wont operate.
Old May 6, 21, 11:28 am

Programs: UA MP
Thanks all for your feedback to my question.

Given the uncertainty, I have decided to book SFO-ATH where the connection points are in the USA. I got a headache trying to parse what all the requirements and potential issues are when transiting through a third country (e.g., Canada when flying Air Canada, Germany when flying Lufthansa, etc.), and felt it safer to involve just two countries (USA and Greece) in my trip.
MSPeconomist and rankourabu like this.
Old May 6, 21, 6:59 pm
Used to be highman123

Folks - generally only the transit TO an International connection is covered here. Any recent experiences passing through Canada to the US?
Old May 22, 21, 12:56 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Fairmont Circle, SPG Platinum, Hilton/Hyatt Diamond, Avis President's Club
USA to Europe via YYZ quarantine?

Not sure if this has been asked before, but I tried calling AC and the girl didn't know.

If I am traveling from Newark to Athens via Toronto (3 hour layover), would I have to quarantine in Toronto?

I am a Canadian passport holding living in Canada.
Obviously If I am staying in Toronto I believe I do, but if it is just a layover for a connecting flight would I avoid quarantine?
Old May 22, 21, 1:00 pm
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Aker View Post
Not sure if this has been asked before, but I tried calling AC and the girl didn't know.

If I am traveling from Newark to Athens via Toronto (3 hour layover), would I have to quarantine in Toronto?

Obviously If I am staying in Toronto I believe I do, but if it is just a layover for a connecting flight would I avoid quarantine?
f it's a same-day connection with no need to leave the airside area (e.g. when flying AC-AC), you are not subject to the quarantine measures.
Old May 22, 21, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Aker View Post

There is no way Air Canada will be flying the flight to Athens if the quarantine rules are still in place.

You need to have a backup plan.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: