Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Can I buy duty-free alcohol and bring it on to my regional connection?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2015, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska Airlines

I recall one time buying a bottle on an international flight into YVR but when I went to my connection (YVR-YYJ) I was told I wasn't allowed to bring the bottle with me. That was some years ago; has this policy changed at all?
Old May 28, 2015, 3:31 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
If you have to go through security, between flights, definitely not, since it's over 100 mL.
Old May 28, 2015, 3:55 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Platinum, Nexus/GE
Yes you can provided your duty free purchases are in a sealed security bag. Works well if you are coming from Europe or the US.

http://www.catsa.gc.ca/duty-free-purchases

Option #2 is to stash the duty free in your checked bag before your clear customs and drop your bag at the connection desk.
Old May 28, 2015, 3:57 pm

Programs: ACSE, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
It is definitely possible - I've done it on several flights from Asia into YYZ and then onwards onto YOW after clearing customs.

The flight attendant or DFS need to seal the bottle in a special tamper-proof bag made for duty free alcohol purchases.

When you get to the CATSA security screening, give them the bottle and they will do some swabs and some other fancy tests, and then they'll return the bottle to you re-sealed.

It's possible that other airports might not have the same testing equipment that YYZ has - so you might want to check in advance (although I'd be surprised if YVR wouldn't have the same equipment).

Worst case is you can stuff it into any checked baggage after you've passed through customs but before checking your baggage onto your connecting flight.
Old May 28, 2015, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
I have transited YVR with sealed duty-free in tow many times; it will not be a problem. Since I often connect out of YVR on a small plane with no overhead bins sometimes I will just put the duty-free into my checked luggage before re-checking it (as you must at your Canadian point of entry).
Old May 28, 2015, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Biggest takeaway. KEEP YOUR RECEIPT!! The fella behind me trying to leave YYZ using the NEXUS line got nailed. He had his liquor in that special bag but didn't have a receipt. He argued and made a scene, but the NEXUS agent refused. He had to check it.
Old May 28, 2015, 7:00 pm

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Plat
Receipt needs to be inside the sealed bag. They look for that. Sometimes DFS forgets to do that.
Old May 28, 2015, 7:59 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Interesting, I didn't realise they had changed the rules on this in 2014, I've still seen a number of people get theirs confiscated since then. Maybe they didn't have their receipts or had opened the bags or something. I learned something new today!
Old Dec 1, 2015, 4:01 am

Is there any more clarity on this? I arrived in YYZ yesterday with duty free from DXB. Connecting on a separate ticket to the US today. According to the CATSA website, I should be ok. The person selling me the duty free did not put the receipt IN the bag, although I do have the receipt. The website is ambiguous on whether that's ok or not. Further, how does adding liquid to a checked bag work for preclearance? I clear with hand luggage, am told no liquids, and then exit the US preclearance area to get my bag tagged and come back to drop it off?

Also, where is the list of approved countries available? Is there no documentation?
Old Dec 15, 2015, 3:16 pm

I would argue that you can't buy alcohol in the DFS when exiting an international flight. You need to shop your boarding pass and the one that is valid for your Canadian airport is for an inland flight, so not accepted at DFS.

... but I could be wrong.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 6:05 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by mabramovich
Is there any more clarity on this? I arrived in YYZ yesterday with duty free from DXB. Connecting on a separate ticket to the US today. According to the CATSA website
Well, the flight is behind you now, so hopefully you will post how it went.

I'd say that CATSA is irrelevent, as you are officially entering US at YYZ, so US rules apply. I've read that this special packaging is allowed in US, but never tried it myself.

But the biggie to me is that you are traveling the next day.

Let us know how it went.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Well, the flight is behind you now, so hopefully you will post how it went.

I'd say that CATSA is irrelevent, as you are officially entering US at YYZ, so US rules apply. I've read that this special packaging is allowed in US, but never tried it myself.

But the biggie to me is that you are traveling the next day.

Let us know how it went.
No problems for me, personally, having taken many USA flights over the last year, occasionally with duty free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.