Wiki Posts
Search

Vancouver/ Victoria

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2014, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, American
Vancouver/ Victoria

My wife and I plan to be in Vancouver (city) next May and we'd like to take a trip to Victoria.

I am familiar with the huge car/ bus ferries that take 2 hours+ to make the trip each way. Are there smaller and faster ferries that can get us there in less time?

I'm aware of the seaplanes, but that is out of the question, budget-sise.

thanks,

John

Chicago
Old Jul 27, 2014, 8:57 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by johnmcq
I am familiar with the huge car/ bus ferries that take 2 hours+ to make the trip each way. Are there smaller and faster ferries that can get us there in less time?
Dock-to-dock the BC Ferries crossing takes 1:35. The crossing is firmly in the category of 'getting there is half the fun' - The views are spectacular.

If you don't want to take BC Ferries the only other option is the "Prince of Whales" but that costs almost as much as (and in some cases more than) flying -

http://www.princeofwhales.com/victoria-departures/#/na
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:29 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by gglave
The crossing is firmly in the category of 'getting there is half the fun' - The views are spectacular.
+1

Moreover, other than flying (including helicopters with scheduled flights), there really isn't any other way to get to the island.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 11:02 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Former E
As others mentioned, choices are currently either ferry, float, or heli. If you are very fit and adventurous, kayak

In summer, the views are very pretty especially the first trips.

What are Victoria siteseeing plans? Public transit isn't bad, but it isn't that great either outside of a few core areas.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 11:27 am
B1

Originally Posted by johnmcq
My wife and I plan to be in Vancouver (city) next May and we'd like to take a trip to Victoria.

I'm aware of the seaplanes, but that is out of the question, budget-sise.

thanks,

John

Chicago
The float planes from downtown Vancouver to downtown Victoria are the alternative. I think Victoria itself is less interesting than the ferry ride. The last time I was there, there was a pod of orcas alongside the ship.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.