Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

any difference between 5 year and 10 year passport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2013, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum

Is there any difference between the new Canadian ePassport with a 5 year validity and a 10 year validity?

The only difference I could find is that the 10 year passport is slightly more expensive, but are there any other differences?

Also, it seems that all passport now only have 36 pages and the 48 page passport is no longer available.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Is there any difference between the new Canadian ePassport with a 5 year validity and a 10 year validity?

The only difference I could find is that the 10 year passport is slightly more expensive, but are there any other differences?

Also, it seems that all passport now only have 36 pages and the 48 page passport is no longer available.
No difference other than validity.
They look, and are, the same in every other way.
For the reason above I got my most recent (and possibly last) Canadian passport on 25 May.
(then again, I might not like ESTA either due to fingerprinting and the fact that the Americans count time spent in Canada as if you were still in the US.)
(This could be proof that this is really a new passport tax, but that's another story.)
Old Jul 13, 2013, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
No difference other than validity.
They look, and are, the same in every other way.
Thanks for the info. In that case I fail to see why one would choose the 5 year passport unless one knows for sure that all the pages will be filled with stamps within that period of time.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Thanks for the info. In that case I fail to see why one would choose the 5 year passport unless one knows for sure that all the pages will be filled with stamps within that period of time.
There are only 30 usable pages. Keep that in mind.
(One Indian national that I know always goes for the 48 page passport as the majority of the pages need to be used for visas.)
Old Jul 18, 2013, 3:57 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
not exactly a price increase

Jasper2009, this issue has already been discussed extensively:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canad...passports.html
I disagree with your assertion that the new passports are more expensive. Mine (10-year) cost me $160 per year. That's $16 per year, or less per year than the old one!
Old Jul 18, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Jasper2009, this issue has already been discussed extensively:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canad...passports.html
I disagree with your assertion that the new passports are more expensive. Mine (10-year) cost me $160 per year. That's $16 per year, or less per year than the old one!
Thanks for the link. I didnŽt say the new passports are more expensive than the old ones.

My question was whether thereŽs a difference between the new 10 year passport and the new 5 year passport except for the higher(overall) price. And yes, of course the cost per year is lower with the 10 year passport, but thatŽs of course assuming the passport will last that long.

IŽm ok with the cost, itŽs the 36 page limitation that somewhat bugs me.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 9:48 pm

So if you run out of pages, do you have to renew from scratch? I know that there is no option to add pages, but also that one is not usually allowed to have more than 1 active passport or renew early, so what happens when a 10-year passport is filled after 5 years? I am just about to renew and while my passport isn't full, 3 or 4 more full-page visa countries would do it!

Thanks

Dr. PITUK
Old Jul 18, 2013, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by painintheuk
So if you run out of pages, do you have to renew from scratch? I know that there is no option to add pages, but also that one is not usually allowed to have more than 1 active passport or renew early, so what happens when a 10-year passport is filled after 5 years? I am just about to renew and while my passport isn't full, 3 or 4 more full-page visa countries would do it!

Thanks

Dr. PITUK
Yes, you will need to complete the simplified renewal form along with an explanation of why you're renewing 5 years early if you're mailing in your application. The letter is not needed if you're applying at Passport Canada offices. Then you'll go two weeks without a passport while you wait for your new one to arrive.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the link. I didnŽt say the new passports are more expensive than the old ones.

My question was whether thereŽs a difference between the new 10 year passport and the new 5 year passport except for the higher(overall) price. And yes, of course the cost per year is lower with the 10 year passport, but thatŽs of course assuming the passport will last that long.

IŽm ok with the cost, itŽs the 36 page limitation that somewhat bugs me.
Which is, in reality, 30 pages.
That is possible to go through in 18 months, much less 10 years.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 8:58 pm

I fail to understand having the same # of pages (36, but 30 in reality) for the 10-year passport... it should have DOUBLE the # of pages, no? geez

I have to renew in 2016 and I hope by then Passport Canada realizes their "mistake" and put in more pages
Old Jul 19, 2013, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
I fail to understand having the same # of pages (36, but 30 in reality) for the 10-year passport... it should have DOUBLE the # of pages, no? geez
I just checked my soon to be ex-passport - 24 pages, 19 'useful' pages {Canada page, photo/details page, Signature/endorsements/limitations page, loss or theft page, Observations page - what is the extra non-page in the new 10-year passports?}.

It may not be double (which is what I would choose) but it is still 50% more.

Dr. PITUK
Old Jul 19, 2013, 9:30 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Which is, in reality, 30 pages.
That is possible to go through in 18 months, much less 10 years.
Keep in mind an average citizen does not travel as frequently as we do .
Old Jul 20, 2013, 2:03 am

I just checked my soon to be ex-passport - 24 pages, 19 'useful' pages {Canada page, photo/details page, Signature/endorsements/limitations page, loss or theft page, Observations page - what is the extra non-page in the new 10-year passports?}.

Dr. PITUK
Thanks for counting

It's great NEW 5-year is 50% more pages than OLD 5-year passport
but still, NEW 10-year should be at least 50% more than NEW 5-year also (e.g. say 48 pages), to make more sense

It's not like those pages are made of gold and costs $$$ :P
Old Jul 20, 2013, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Dr. PITUK
Well, IŽd have to disagree with you to some extent: While the "standard" old passport indeed only had 24 pages, one could get a 48 page passport for ~$5 more - which was a no-brainer IMO for any semi-regular flier.

So from my point of view the new passport has 25% fewer pages and is supposed to last twice as long. While I never needed to worry about running out of pages with the old passport, it will be a major concern with the new one.

Last edited by Jasper2009; Jul 20, 2013 at 7:12 pm
Old Jul 20, 2013, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jerryhung
Thanks for counting

It's great NEW 5-year is 50% more pages than OLD 5-year passport
but still, NEW 10-year should be at least 50% more than NEW 5-year also (e.g. say 48 pages), to make more sense

It's not like those pages are made of gold and costs $$$ :P
Even India has a 60 page passport for 10 years (if I didn't mention that already, though they might actually need it with the acceptance level of that passport without visa.)
After removal of unusable pages, this is still good enough for 3-4 years of travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.