Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

any difference between 5 year and 10 year passport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

any difference between 5 year and 10 year passport?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2016, 6:29 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by jerryhung
It's not like those pages are made of gold and costs $$$ :P
Not quite made of gold, but they do cost $$$. Each visa page is unique, with it's own original artwork, hidden UV images, carefully integrated security features, etc. According to Passport Canada, there is insufficient demand for jumbo passports to make it economical to produce a 48 page variant. Because Passport Canada operates on a cost recovery basis, the price would be off-the-scale.

I travel 2-3 times per year to countries requiring visas. The visa foil plus the entry-exit stamps usually take up two full pages. My last 48 page passport lasted me four years. My most recent 5-yr passport lasted 21 months before it was full. Personally I find it a major inconvenience to apply so frequently for a passport, but at least with the new streamlined renewal process I do not need a friend to sign the photos and application form.
--
13F
Old Apr 12, 2016, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by HermesPan
I am mighty annoyed that the new passports have so few pages. I filled up my last one in three years. So, why is the Canadian government making them so few pages? Clearly, this is in order to control international movements of individuals. But what is the best solution? I say, 'vote with your feet'. Problem is there are no libertarian (small L) jurisdictions on the planet, and those that are somewhat tend to be be conservative, which you might not be. I am not, except fiscally.

We have to deal with bureaucracies of the State everywhere. There is no market place of travel documents. You can't escape Big Brother. Passports are just one aspect.

I am never at ease with just one passport. I encourage all free men to have at least two - both legally obtained. Problem is they are all expensive. I am talking hundreds of thousands of dollars. Just like offshore banking in tax havens, the rich have had these for decades. I am a poor but 'rootless cosmopolitan' with allegiance to no nation. But this coercive concept of nationality follows me as a yoke. It is very frustrating, as if your landlord follows you around the world.

Of course there are legitimate security concerns. A simpler way to drastically reduce people coming into the country to blow up innocents would be to profile. There are not many 75 year-old female Buddhist suicide bombers.
Bruh.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
Not quite made of gold, but they do cost $$$. Each visa page is unique, with it's own original artwork, hidden UV images, carefully integrated security features, etc. According to Passport Canada, there is insufficient demand for jumbo passports to make it economical to produce a 48 page variant. Because Passport Canada operates on a cost recovery basis, the price would be off-the-scale.

I travel 2-3 times per year to countries requiring visas. The visa foil plus the entry-exit stamps usually take up two full pages. My last 48 page passport lasted me four years. My most recent 5-yr passport lasted 21 months before it was full. Personally I find it a major inconvenience to apply so frequently for a passport, but at least with the new streamlined renewal process I do not need a friend to sign the photos and application form.
--
13F
I renewed into a 10 yrs passport for special reasons of obtaining 10yrs visas in 2014. These 10 yrs visa is only issued into 10yrs passports.
I have since renew my passport due to it being "full". So I paid the $120 for a five years which will be full long before its expiry and carry the older one as a visa holder.

Even the old 48 pages version did not last me 5 yrs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.