Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Terminal 1 US Customs Pre-clearance time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2011, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC

Flying YYZ to LAX on AC to connect to another flight.

Flight departs in July on a Friday from Terminal 1.

Question is, how long does it take to preclear US customs? I have only cleared before in Edmonton, where 1.5 hours was more than enough. How busy is the US Customs hall in the morning on a weekday?

Thanks for any advice.
Old May 16, 2011, 8:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
It really depends. I do this quite a lot and I have been through in 10 minutes and other times it has taken 30 minutes. Now that there is no paperwork, it seems to go a little quicker. The longest I think it has ever taken is 45 minutes on a Monday morning at 7am. I think you are fine with 30 mins at your time.
Old May 16, 2011, 12:00 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Possibility for delay depends on the time of day that you're traveling. Early morning or late afternoon through dinner are the worst ... give yourself 45 minutes at least (esp. for 789, the early morning flight). Mid-day ..... 30 minutes should usually be fine.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by josh_saunders
Flying YYZ to LAX on AC to connect to another flight.

Flight departs in July on a Friday from Terminal 1.

Question is, how long does it take to preclear US customs? I have only cleared before in Edmonton, where 1.5 hours was more than enough. How busy is the US Customs hall in the morning on a weekday?

Thanks for any advice.
I've never done Friday AM before, Monday is normally the worst and can get pretty bad. I personally give myself 2hrs, but I also have use of the Air Canada lounge. Also depends on a few things, have you checked online, are you checking a bag? Do you have status with your airline.

If you have to check in at the counter, check a bag, and don't have status (ie can't use the priority lines etc), give yourself 2 hours, because there may be a line up at check in, plus customs plus security.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 11:26 am

Programs: AC Aeroplan - Elite Status. DL Skymiles - Regular Status
If you give yourself 1 and 1/2 hours, its plenty enough time. CBP processes travelers fairly quickly (they've cleaned their act up from 3-4 years ago lol).
Old Jun 7, 2011, 1:28 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Titanium and LTT
The problem is getting worse

There's no question that the pre-clearance problem at YYZ is getting worse. The waiting area is often packed with lines extending well beyond the official pre-clearance area.

The most frustrating aspect of waiting is staring at the unmanned US Customs desks. The US Government is choosing to make this problem worse for tourists and business travellers.

A Toronto radio host recently did a segment on this problem. Here is the podcast link: http://media.newstalk1010.com/Podcas...dcast_-_A5.mp3
Old Feb 8, 2012, 1:32 am

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
How do you pre clear US customs at Toronto?

Hi, I am from Australia so this pre clearance thing is quite hard to work out. Can someone please give me a quick step by step on how to do it, do you check in first, where do you go etc? Many thanks
Old Feb 8, 2012, 3:19 am

Programs: VA Plat, TK E, HH Dia, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by wtcmor
Hi, I am from Australia so this pre clearance thing is quite hard to work out. Can someone please give me a quick step by step on how to do it, do you check in first, where do you go etc? Many thanks
I'm also from Australia and did it once last year. Not too complicated but i will skip over the details here...

Basically you check in as you would any other flight but instead of simply going through security and then into the terminal you go through security and border (Customs/ immigration etc) for the US in the Canadian terminal. Assuming you are cleared to enter the US you then go into a secure terminal area that allows you to fly anywhere in the US as a domestic passenger.

Essentially the idea is that allows Toronto passengers to board flights to domestic terminals across the USA because the customs/ immigration is done on departure. Based on the one time i did it, it took 20mins or so and then i had an hour and a bit to wait in the terminal before boarding to MSP.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 3:31 am

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
thanks for the reply, very much appreciated. we are on a 9.10am flight so are planning to leave downtown toronto at 5am - hopefully that will be enough time. Does anyone have any thoughts on that?
Old Feb 8, 2012, 4:42 am

Programs: AC, AA, UA, BA, Hilton
We were on an 8:10 AM flight last week (Tuesday) from Terminal 1, got to the airport just after 5 AM expecting the large lineups usually there for the early banks of flights. The airport was crowded as I'd expected, but I used the kiosks to reprint our boarding passes, dropped off our luggage at the luggage drop counter and went to the U.S. Customs and Immigration area where there was one large lineup snaking across the room to reach the eight or so manned desks. Took us about 20 minutes to reach the front of the line and get to a customs officer. Then off to security for the usual shoes off, belts off, etc., through the magnetometer and on our way to the Maple Leaf Lounge to relax by about 6:15 AM. Stopped off at the duty free shop on the way to our gate, which was very close by, so no long walk from there.

Worked out well for us. So your getting to the airport shortly after 5 AM shouldn't be a problem for a 9:10 departure. Depends of course on what day of the week you're traveling, as many packaged tours leave on Thursdays and Sundays, adding volume to the terminals, and businessmen often travel on Mondays and Fridays. Also factor in possible very long walks to the farther gates, but you should be fine in any case.

Saves time if you've checked in via the internet to get your boarding passes (if not, use the kiosks), and you should pick up and fill in the U.S. customs declaration (available at any checkin desk) in advance of the U.S border formalities. Also you'll have to show your passport and boarding pass at the baggage dropoff counter to have them tag your luggage. Check the terminal maps in advance if you have access to a computer, to see where your gate is located, and be aware of the new signage in T-1, whereas what used to be gate 163, for example, is now gate F63, the F being for the U.S. departures.

Have a good trip.

bj-21.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:58 am

hi,

I know this thread is old, but I wonder if anyone can share any recent experience. My wife and I and our 3 little kids are flying back to the US through YYZ, landing there on a friday in june at 6:30PM, and the flight to LAX departs at 8:15PM, so we have 1 hour and 45 minutes to go through pre-clearance.

Would that be enough time? we are always slow because of the kids and the car seats we take on the plane.

TIA!

BTW - both inbound and outbound flights are operated by Air Canada, so I don't think we have to change terminal in YYZ.

Last edited by sapiro; Mar 11, 2014 at 8:00 am Reason: added BTW
Old Mar 11, 2014, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by sapiro
hi,

I know this thread is old, but I wonder if anyone can share any recent experience. My wife and I and our 3 little kids are flying back to the US through YYZ, landing there on a friday in june at 6:30PM, and the flight to LAX departs at 8:15PM, so we have 1 hour and 45 minutes to go through pre-clearance.

Would that be enough time? we are always slow because of the kids and the car seats we take on the plane.

TIA!

BTW - both inbound and outbound flights are operated by Air Canada, so I don't think we have to change terminal in YYZ.
Friday night should not be too bad with your timing unless it is June 27, last Friday before the national holidays, then all bets are off
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat SPG Gold
Just wondering, did the US immigration ever installed the automated cross border machines in YYZ? Those things make life so much easier and faster.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:01 am

it is June 27. How long do you think worst case to go through customs and immigration pre-clearence?
Old Mar 12, 2014, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by flyerhog
Just wondering, did the US immigration ever installed the automated cross border machines in YYZ? Those things make life so much easier and faster.
Yes the passport scanning kiosk has been install at US CBP Pre-clear at both Toronto terminals. They scan US and Canadian passports.

However depending on the day going through the longer line with filled out forms might be faster.

Originally Posted by sapiro
it is June 27. How long do you think worst case to go through customs and immigration pre-clearence?
It is the last working day before the summer holidays. July 1 is Canada day and July 4 is Independence day. That is the second busiest week for holidays behind the school winter break. You get one week off for 4 vacation days plus a holiday or if you are lucky working for a US company both days are holidays.

These would help:
Take the blue US custom form with you and have it filled out before leaving for Toronto.
Train the kids to hop out of car seats and follow Mom off the plane while Dad unbuckle/unload the car seats.
Let us know where are you arriving from for YYZ LAX exact AC flight numbers so we can give you the heads up on where to head towards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.