Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Terminal 1 US Customs Pre-clearance time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2014, 7:45 am

Thanks so much for the info tentseller. We arrive to yyz on flight AC 85.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
http://www.torontopearson.com/Connecting.aspx#

Get off plane, head to US CBP, follow the well signed and marked route.

You will have to line up for CBP immigration as well as CATSA security check.

Time is a valuable commodity so if possible use facilities on plane.

I think there is a later LAX fight as a back up if you missed the 1835 YYZ LAX. But they might not have 5 seats on that day.

See if you can be put onto the later flight just to make sure.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:13 pm

we can't ask to be on the later flight in advance, we have a cheap ticket - any changes are like $400.

thanks a lot for all the tips!!!
Old Aug 9, 2014, 4:02 pm

just FYI. it went just fine. no issues making it in 1.5 hours, but I would not recommend less.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sapiro
just FYI. it went just fine. no issues making it in 1.5 hours, but I would not recommend less.
Glad it worked out for you.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA,AA,DL
Will I make Dublin-BOS connection in 1 3/4 hours?

United changed my award ticket from 4 hour connection at JFK to 1 3/4 hours (but getting into Boston much earlier at 6 pm) using Air Canada via Toronto. This will be 2:30 this Wednesday.

But today I read horrible reviews of US Border Pre-Clearance wait times which make me wonder if I'll make it. What do you think?

Is there any strategy for getting through quicker? In a video online about this Customs says I can prefile using ESTA or join one of two programs to expedite it. Are any of these practical for a one-shot connection? What do you recommend? Thanks!
Old Aug 10, 2014, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you are ETSA then all bets are off.

This transit is gear toward American and Canadian where entry to Canada is bypassed and arrival passengers with onward to US connections are diverted right to the US CBP pre-clear area. American and Canadian passport holders can use the speedy kiosk (or Global entry/Nexus) for a very fast clearing procedure.

ETSA passenger will need to line up for a full CBP agent processing.

1.75hr: it depends on the time of day and date of week whether it is doable. Definitely not Monday morning rush hour.

Wed 2:30pm should be doable,
Old Aug 11, 2014, 10:40 am

The lines for transit passengers shouldn't be that long; certainly they aren't for Canada->transborder at Terminal 1.

Watch this video to see the process in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS3pA8RGyC8

1:45 is a legal connection for that connection on Air Canada (they show the minimum is 1:25) so you should have plenty of time as long as your inbound flight isn't delayed.

However, regardless, if you're not a Canadian citizen or US citizen or permanent resident, you have to do ESTA online in advance; there are some computers set up that allow you to do it at Pearson in the holding area while you're waiting for your baggage to show up on the screen in Step 2, but I'd really suggest doing it before you leave Dublin to avoid any potential trouble with a tight connection.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The bottleneck is not the transit passenger line. It is US CBP pre-clear area where the transit to US passengers merge with US departing passengers. Monday morning, Thursday evening and Friday afternoon can be deadly for YYZ to US due to business commuters.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 12:10 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
First time transiting YYZ question

I'm arriving on an Air Canada flight from LHR, 1110 hrs on a Wednesday.

Departing on Air Canada to LAX. 1 hour 25 minute connect time. I have Global Entry. I'm in J on both flights.

I see there is GE in YYZ. Can you let me know where in the hall I would go to access that line?

Is the time element problematic?

Many thanks for your insights!

Last edited by 747FC; Oct 2, 2014 at 12:17 am Reason: I found some information out on my own!
Old Oct 2, 2014, 12:47 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by 747FC
I see there is GE in YYZ. Can you let me know where in the hall I would go to access that line?
The Terminal 3 GE kiosks are on the left side of the hall. There is very good signage directing passengers to the area where they are located.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:50 am

Programs: UA MM
Does AC handle baggage clearance relatively fast on INTL to USA connections in YYZ and do J passengers' bags generally get priority?
Old Nov 19, 2014, 6:17 pm

Theoretically both...
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:27 pm

Programs: I travel for fun these days.
How did I know OP was asking about YYZ without it being in the thread title... Centre of the world.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 11:41 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by industry_killer
Theoretically both...
I sure hope theory translates to practice! We're on AC 857 from LHR and it seems to be arriving late most days. Am I right to assume it shouldn't take more than a few minutes from deplaning to get to USCBP? We both have Global Entry and is that pretty much wait-free at YYZ T1?

Connection to CLE is scheduled for 16:45.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.