Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Staying in 'Toronto'

Staying in 'Toronto'

Old May 4, 11, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, others including Amtrak Guest Rewards
Staying in 'Toronto'

Hi all, I am looking to make a weekend reservation in Toronto and noticed that hotel values seem to be a bit better in Yorkville vs. downtown Toronto? I am basically looking for convenience to shopping/metro, preferring to not have to drive much...

Having never been there, I am not sure which area(s) offer access to the well-known sights, would appreciate some guidance.

As always, thanks in advance
Old May 4, 11, 8:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Yorkville is in the downtown core, in fact, the nicer part of downtown and a great location! In that area, you will have high end shops like Armani, LV, Cartier, and local high end shops like Holt Renfrew and Harry Rosen. (Many other shops are in that area also.)

Yorkville is near all three lines of the subway system (well one line is actually two adjoined lines that run parallel to each other).

If you are at hotels like Park Hyatt or the Intercontinental, you will be across the street from the Royal Ontario Museum with its iconic Crystal structure that faces Bloor St. The other two museums within 5 minutes are the Gairdner Ceramics and the Bata Shoe museum.

Now, just check to make sure you are not in YorkDALE, as this is in the Northern part of the city accessible by subway, but more or a car-area. (Toronto, formerly named York is a city of many York boroughs - East York, North York York and York neighbourhoods - Yorkville, Yorkdale).

Last edited by neuron; May 4, 11 at 9:11 am Reason: added info
Old May 4, 11, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, others including Amtrak Guest Rewards
Great information, I really appreciate it! Will try not to get confused with all the Yorks
Old May 4, 11, 9:01 pm
B1

Originally Posted by SharonLPK View Post
Hi all, I am looking to make a weekend reservation in Toronto and noticed that hotel values seem to be a bit better in Yorkville vs. downtown Toronto? I am basically looking for convenience to shopping/metro, preferring to not have to drive much...

Having never been there, I am not sure which area(s) offer access to the well-known sights, would appreciate some guidance.

As always, thanks in advance
As noted, Yorkville is the most expensive part of downtown so there is something wrong. My guess is that you are looking at "York Region", which is too far from where you want to be. Try Priceline and bid 3.5* in Downtown (North and South) in the $80-100 range and get the Delta Chelsea.
Old May 5, 11, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by B1 View Post
As noted, Yorkville is the most expensive part of downtown so there is something wrong. My guess is that you are looking at "York Region", which is too far from where you want to be. Try Priceline and bid 3.5* in Downtown (North and South) in the $80-100 range and get the Delta Chelsea.
Depends on the weekend - if there is something big in the financial downtown (like the Toronto Marathon in October) I would expect Yorkville to perhaps be a better bet that weekend for example. But yes, OP, do check a map!

I would prefer Yorkville for shopping, eating out, people watching etc. Downtown Yonge / Front area is great for things like Hockey Hall of Fame, CN Tower, Rogers Centre. Toronto Islands, etc.

Ultimately tho, all those things are a short cab or a few subway stops from either Yorkville or closer to the lake.
Old May 5, 11, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for the suggestions, etc -- I usually don't have a car when staying in major cities so am a little surprised at parking rates, etc. of most hotels in the area...
Old May 11, 11, 10:09 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K.
I see the OP is HHonors Gold. If you want to stay true to Hilton, we have a Hilton Garden Inn in the downtown area:

http://hiltongardeninn.hilton.com/en...DTGI&WT.srch=1

And of course, there's the main Hilton downtown:

http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hote...1&pSearch=true

Both of these Hilton properties are fine. The Garden Inn is a small property that's just a block away from the cool, hip area of Queen Street. The Hilton is a large tower with a big ballroom complex for meetings / conventions etc. The Hilton is located on University Avenue which is a main thoroughfare in YYZ. It's also just a block away from the Eaton Centre which is the main shopping mall downtown.

As mentioned previously, Yorkville is the high-end section of town so if you can find a nice hotel here, I'd recommend staying in Yorkville.
Old May 11, 11, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RCyyz View Post
And of course, there's the main Hilton downtown:

http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hote...1&pSearch=true

As mentioned previously, Yorkville is the high-end section of town so if you can find a nice hotel here, I'd recommend staying in Yorkville.
Hi, thanks for your help, and actually at www.wagjag.com they are offering a great package at the Hilton for $169, includes breakfast, $25 for shopping, room upgrade... However, I think we will probably stay at the Holiday Inn on Bloor in Yorkville -- will be cheaper overall, including the daily parking charge. I don't anticipate much time in the room but that Hilton package sure is attractive

Last edited by SharonLPK; May 11, 11 at 12:48 pm Reason: typo in url
Old May 11, 11, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Hi, thanks for your help, and actually at www.wagjag.com they are offering a great package at the Hilton for $169, includes breakfast, $25 for shopping, room upgrade... However, I think we will probably stay at the Holiday Inn on Bloor in Yorkville -- will be cheaper overall, including the daily parking charge. I don't anticipate much time in the room but that Hilton package sure is attractive
You will be closest to the St George subway stop, which is on the Danforth-Bloor/East-West line and on the University-Spadina portion of the North-South Line, so for mass transit you are well situated. If you are just going to be in the Downtown area, a subway or streetcar or probably not even necessary.

I know people who have stayed at the HI, its a perfectly functional hotel, not luxury, but will serve the purpose of a night's rest.
Old May 11, 11, 4:06 pm
B1

The Holiday Inn on Bloor has a nice location but - it is very disappointing to the guests I've known who stayed there (I haven't been inside so I can't say from experience). We gave up on it after people refused to visit if they had to stay there. Instead, we use the 3.5* bid on Priceline and get a much better hotel for less. Honest.
Old May 11, 11, 8:21 pm

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
The Holiday Inn on Bloor has a nice location but - it is very disappointing to the guests I've known who stayed there (I haven't been inside so I can't say from experience). We gave up on it after people refused to visit if they had to stay there. Instead, we use the 3.5* bid on Priceline and get a much better hotel for less. Honest.
Fully agree. If the only purpose is to save on parking.
HI on Bloor is not exactly in "Yorkville" proper but at the University. It is quite near where there is a high percentage of student housings.

If the Hilton includes reasonable parking - take it instead.

Last edited by tentseller; May 11, 11 at 9:10 pm
Old May 12, 11, 7:19 am
Original Poster

I appreciate all feedback! I did call the Hilton -- had a nice conversation with the person booking those discounted rooms -- the vouchers to book won't be available until next Tuesday and we need a room starting next Thursday. Since there would be no guarantee (first call first served) and literally thousands have bought the vouchers, we decided it would be best for me to not purchase since this is probably my only trip to Toronto and no refund for the voucher if I can't use it...

Will probably stay at the HI just due to needing a bit more to renew platinum, have been using points or points&cash on all reservations this year so not earning points...!...

I realize I may have a bit of regret... Maybe Priceline next time when I don't need points lol HI is scheduled to also have a $75 rebate for a 2 night stay sooo all in all we're likely to spend our savings via shopping and eating
Old May 12, 11, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K.
The HI on Bloor is OK but that's about all one can say. To say it's in Yorkville is stretching the definition quite a bit though. As pointed out, there are lots of students in the area as that part of town more or less defines the northern limit of the downtown campus of University of Toronto.

You will be close to Yorkville proper so no worries there. If you walk West on Bloor St (cross Spadina) you'll come across some interesting and cheap eateries.

If you have a car and if you have time, you may want to check out Pacific Mall as it's a bit of an experience and a good place to get bootleg DVDs if you're into that. Otherwise you'll find things to see & do in the immediate area of the hotel.

Have fun visiting YYZ!
Old May 24, 11, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Just wanted to report that our stay at the HI was fine Our room was clean/well taken care of and had a great west view... didn't really use the hotel for much of anything except to shower/sleep so can't comment on much else. Location can't be beat in my opinion. Especially access to the subway, as others wrote... 50 steps away if that -- and I thought the transit system was functional and easy! Didn't move my car from the time we arrived until the time we left. Seeing as how parking can be a premium in the city, I guess $22/day wasn't too much lol
Old May 24, 11, 1:18 pm

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
If you were just there over the Victoria day weekend then nobody is in town (first warm long-weekend) and school was out.

Search this Thread