Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rude Canadian immigration

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2011, 1:07 pm

Programs: AC Elite, AA Advantage, BA
Nexus Eye Scan

I can NEVER make the eye scan arriving in YVR work for me. And YYZ isn't much better. On the other hand, going to the US it usually works. I think they are different machines. But, yes, thank God for Nexus. At least if the eye thing doesn't work you can cut through the lines. So that's at least a benefit.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E35 and decreasing
Originally Posted by Vasco
While I agree with you 100%, I have to point out one thing (it is something of a pet-peeve.)

You're actually referring to Customs Officers from CBSA, not Immigration Officers from CIC. CBSA staff man the booths and question you. As a Canadian citizen, you'd never deal with a proper CIC Immigration Officer. Immigration staff are located in the secondary screening area.

It may seem a minor distinction, but it actually needs to be understood. It bothers me because if you're going to complain about someone, make sure you're complaining about the right person. Canadian citizens do not interact with CIC Immigration Officers at the airport. We interact entirely with CBSA staff.

Now, again, I agree with you 100% in that those CBSA officers are by far the rudest, and most unnecessarily confrontational border officials in any country I have travelled to.
I had no idea about that. I'm not Canadian born, so I have dealt a lot with the real immigration people in that past; and true, they have always been very nice.

Thanks for the info!
Old Feb 5, 2011, 1:38 pm

Programs: LH SEN, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by PokerHammy
Went through YVR a few times, and the Canadian agents were polite and efficient.

As a U.S. citizen I hate to say it but my worst experiences were with the U.S. Customs agents at YVR - they were rude, mean, and power tripped.
I'm not a US citizen but I second your comment. The worst experience I had at US immigration was in Vancouver. I asked the guy something and he laced into me like nobody's business. When he was finished I just said "A yes or no would have been enough"....
Old Feb 5, 2011, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E35 and decreasing
Originally Posted by Mauricio23
You really need a dose of real world education if you manage to get riled up over questions of where did you go and how did you meet your traveling partners. As a citizen of a third country, I have found CBSA officers to be professional and efficient. .
Of course we don't have to agree, but you seem to be accusing me of needing "a dose of real work education".

Regarding the citizenship thing, I'm a citizen of a third world country too, and I have done customs and immigration in Canada as a visitor, as a permanent resident, and as a citizen (more than 30 times in all). Very rarely are they polite, usually they are just distant; from time to time, like today, they are rude.

Regarding the "dose of real world education", I lived in the 3rd world for 30+ years before coming to Canada. Besides Canada, I have crossed the border into Argentina, Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria, China, Croatia, Denmark, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, India, Ireland, Italy, Macedonia, Malaysia, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Switzerland, Thailand, UK, Uruguay, USA, Venezuela. I think that's a big enough pool for comparison.

I still mantain that Canadian officers are particularly rude. And that I have enough "real world education".
Old Feb 5, 2011, 2:00 pm

Programs: 50K
Originally Posted by tinchote
Of course we don't have to agree, but you seem to be accusing me of needing "a dose of real work education".

Regarding the citizenship thing, I'm a citizen of a third world country too, and I have done customs and immigration in Canada as a visitor, as a permanent resident, and as a citizen (more than 30 times in all). Very rarely are they polite, usually they are just distant; from time to time, like today, they are rude.

Regarding the "dose of real world education", I lived in the 3rd world for 30+ years before coming to Canada. Besides Canada, I have crossed the border into Argentina, Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria, China, Croatia, Denmark, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, India, Ireland, Italy, Macedonia, Malaysia, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Switzerland, Thailand, UK, Uruguay, USA, Venezuela. I think that's a big enough pool for comparison.

I still mantain that Canadian officers are particularly rude. And that I have enough "real world education".
touché
Old Feb 5, 2011, 2:08 pm

Programs: AC/AP-Elite, *G, HH-G
I'm not as versed a traveler as some people here, but still I have visited 40 different countries; and in none of them are immigration officials as unfriendly as in Canada.

Does anyone else have the same experience (or different, for that matter?)
I find Canadian officers to be rather bland. Neither friendly nor unfriendly in general.

I find they are certainly more friendly then many of the places I have had to travel to; I have never had a CBSA officer ask me for a personal payment to expedite my customs/immigration process, or other shady practices common with other immigrations officials around the world.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cleared I&C @ YVR yesterday. While didn't give us a hard time, the lady checking our passports was far from friendly. No smile, let alone a "welcome back" gesture. At least no nit pick questions were asked.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by PokerHammy

As a U.S. citizen I hate to say it but my worst experiences were with the U.S. Customs agents at YVR - they were rude, mean, and power tripped.
I am a u.s. citizen and my experience at YVR US preclereance is the complete opposite. Always very pleasant every time. I go through YVR at least 6 times a year.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 2:25 pm

i dont want to open a large debate, but just because a customs officer is impersonal (cold/bland whatever you call it), doesnt mean he/she is rude. Did he/she said something to provoke you or make suggestions?

And when i mean they make suggestion, not assumed suggestions, but actual suggestions.... Far too often people take word out of context in the word of assumption and make an issue out of it
Old Feb 5, 2011, 2:29 pm

Programs: 50K
Originally Posted by g46r
I am a u.s. citizen and my experience at YVR US preclereance is the complete opposite. Always very pleasant every time. I go through YVR at least 6 times a year.
I've experienced both good and bad situations. Two times ago I was sent to secondary screening after a rather hostile questioning of how often I went to the US on business and for what purpose for which I answered in my usual yes sir no sir way. The last time was very pleasant. It does seem sometimes that there is a good cop/bad cop approach at US immigration whereas on the Canadian side it's mainly just bland cop.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

but just because a customs officer is impersonal (cold/bland whatever you call it), doesnt mean he/she is rude.
No they are not rude, but at the same time like our case yesterday they were far from friendly as well. Hence my comment. But no we will not label that as "rude" so we refrained from using that word.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 3:04 pm

Rude Canadian official

I also just had a very unpleasant welcome home after a simple week in the sun.No need at all for such rudeness by Canadians to Canadians.What can we do?
Old Feb 5, 2011, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by ylwae
Don't forget that they want to wring every last cent they can in taxes and duty out of you, too. Need to ask hard questions if they have any hope of finding that overage.
Not true, there are more taxes on a ticket to the United States and back that are levied by the US authorities. Check out the "Immigration Fee' and "Agricultural inspection" fee
Old Feb 5, 2011, 4:22 pm
Suspended

Just arrived in YYZ half an hour ago. I usually complain that immigration at Canadian airports is less pleasant than anywhere else; today, it was way beyond that, the official was plainly rude.

As a Canadian citizen, I find it very annoying that the border where I'm questioned the most is that of my own country. I'm not as versed a traveler as some people here, but still I have visited 40 different countries; and in none of them are immigration officials as unfriendly as in Canada.

Does anyone else have the same experience (or different, for that matter?)
Last year I passed immigration in:

London: 1 question asked (are you planning on working here? No? Ok, enjoy your stay)

Prague: 0 questions, stamp and enter.

Istanbul: 0 questions, stamp and enter.

Dubai: 1 question, how long are you staying?

Kiev: 1 question, wait, where are you from? (I was arriving on a flight from Istanbul and it was me and everyone else was Turkish or Ukranian)

Beijing: 0 questions.

Tokyo: 0 questions.

Bangkok: 0 questions.

Sydney: asked a crapload of questions, then taken aside while some special immigration officer was brought out to ask the same questions over again, then proceed to the luggage scanner where they went through all my stuff, held up a transparent bag that contained Tylenol and earplugs and asked, "Is this food?" After staring for a couple of seconds, and saying no, that's not food, I was let into the country in a state of amazement.

Canada: asked the routine stuff. Half the time the guards seem bored, half the time they seem hostile. I realize above I wrote "guard"... when I mean "customs agent." I guess they feel like guards with the attitude and the body armor. The government tells us that the airports are secure and airplanes are safe to fly... so why do these guys get body armor? Am I going to lunge at them and attempt to stab them with my laptop?
Old Feb 5, 2011, 4:46 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by stretton
I also just had a very unpleasant welcome home after a simple week in the sun.No need at all for such rudeness by Canadians to Canadians.What can we do?
Can you provide some details? What is your definition of rude?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.