FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada-462/)
-   -   Rude Canadian immigration (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada/1180641-rude-canadian-immigration.html)

tinchote Feb 5, 2011 4:54 am

Rude Canadian immigration

Just arrived in YYZ half an hour ago. I usually complain that immigration at Canadian airports is less pleasant than anywhere else; today, it was way beyond that, the official was plainly rude.

As a Canadian citizen, I find it very annoying that the border where I'm questioned the most is that of my own country. I'm not as versed a traveler as some people here, but still I have visited 40 different countries; and in none of them are immigration officials as unfriendly as in Canada.

Does anyone else have the same experience (or different, for that matter?)

ylwae Feb 5, 2011 5:03 am

Originally Posted by tinchote (Post 15807079)

On average I get asked more questions here than in other countries. I guess here they want to make sure I'm not trying to weasel my way in to collect welfare--or whatever it is they're so concerned about--even though I have a Canadian passport. They're not usually rude, though they're not usually friendly either.

Don't forget that they want to wring every last cent they can in taxes and duty out of you, too. Need to ask hard questions if they have any hope of finding that overage.

The best experience I had recently was in YVR, where I had my passport and customs form scanned at one of those automated kiosks. An agent at the head of the line looked at the documents for a couple of seconds, then waved me past the booths. No questions at all.

c_9 Feb 5, 2011 5:16 am

Since this is not AC-specific, I've asked a moderator to shift the thread over to the Canada forum. Good topic, just a better place for discussion of it. :)

tinchote Feb 5, 2011 5:19 am

Originally Posted by c_9 (Post 15807130)
Since this is not AC-specific, I've asked a moderator to shift the thread over to the Canada forum. Good topic, just a better place for discussion of it. :)

Thanks, and sorry about that.

c_9 Feb 5, 2011 5:21 am

Originally Posted by tinchote (Post 15807137)
Thanks, and sorry about that.

It's OK - very common to find threads in relevant-but-not-perfect spots! That's one of the things our moderators can help us with! :)

PokerHammy Feb 5, 2011 5:40 am

Originally Posted by tinchote (Post 15807079)

Went through YVR a few times, and the Canadian agents were polite and efficient.

As a U.S. citizen I hate to say it but my worst experiences were with the U.S. Customs agents at YVR - they were rude, mean, and power tripped. :mad:

Q Shoe Guy Feb 5, 2011 5:45 am

Originally Posted by c_9 (Post 15807145)
It's OK - very common to find threads in relevant-but-not-perfect spots! That's one of the things our moderators can help us with! :)

So you are a long time FT'er with a new account :confused:?

tinchote Feb 5, 2011 5:50 am

Originally Posted by PokerHammy (Post 15807188)
As a U.S. citizen I hate to say it but my worst experiences were with the U.S. Customs agents at YVR - they were rude, mean, and power tripped. :mad:

Well, as a comment on that, US agents are #2 in my list :D

c_9 Feb 5, 2011 5:56 am

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy (Post 15807202)
So you are a long time FT'er with a new account :confused:?

Yes - previous account had my last name in the username, so I've retired that one. :)

c_9 Feb 5, 2011 5:57 am

Originally Posted by tinchote (Post 15807210)
Well, as a comment on that, US agents are #2 in my list :D

I was *shocked* recently when traveling to the US on business - I was not asked any questions by the US agent: literally, no questions at all. It was a bit weird. But a nice change.

tinchote Feb 5, 2011 6:00 am

Originally Posted by c_9 (Post 15807235)
I was *shocked* recently when traveling to the US on business - I was not asked any questions by the US agent: literally, no questions at all. It was a bit weird. But a nice change.

You bet! That never every happened to me! It it the case in most countries, though.

One of my biggest surprises regarding immigration was in China, where the desk had a button that one could use to express where you were please with the agents behaviour.

sfo Feb 5, 2011 6:20 am

Thank god for Nexus.

Transpacifclyjaded Feb 5, 2011 6:38 am

Coming home from visiting family in PSP the customs officer in YEG asks me "How did you meet your grandmother?" I wish I was kidding.

2MM_Guy Feb 5, 2011 6:51 am

Originally Posted by sfo (Post 15807288)
Thank god for Nexus.

+1

global happy traveller Feb 5, 2011 7:02 am

Originally Posted by sfo (Post 15807288)
Thank god for Nexus.

NEXUS was very rude to me too! It kept on refusing to recognize my eye scan!

Just remember customs and immigration staff are law enforcement officials, their objective is to question and see whether you are hiding things/secrets you should not be allowed to bring into Canada (ie. food, duty free over the value, money, illegal immigration/fraud etc)

Whenever investigation takes place (be it an vehicular accident, police stop, employee misconduct, suspicious product return at a store or customs/immigrations) their objective is to question and find out the truth. Far too often being friendly makes it hard to achieve that goal, makes it easier for a suspect to lie their way through and find it hard to enforce the rules.

Like dealing with anyone, keep it short, succinct, honest and factual.

In asian countries you have two departments, immigration (that stamps your passport) and customs that randomly inspects bags. In those places (behind the scenes) they have sniffer dogs, staff trained to review suspicious behavior and a mandatory second re-Xray scan upon arrival. Once you are selected to see customs in those countries, the law enforcement attitude/presentation is similar.