Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Early departure from YYZ

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2011, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Early departure from YYZ

Having never departed from Yyz in the am I am wondering what the latest reasonable time is to show up at the airport for a 6:45am to EWR? I have Nexus and have only carry-on. Departure is this Thursday. Thanks!
Old Jan 10, 2011, 8:04 am
SYM

Programs: AC SEMM
Assume you will do OLCI. I would say 5:45 - security is a zoo at that hour, so you need to leave 20 mins even if the priority lane is up and running. Total of 10 mins to get through Nexus/get to gate; 15 minutes backup if you get sent to secondary; that gets you to the gate with 15 minutes to spare. But that is really pushing it. 5:25 gives you a much better margin
Old Jan 10, 2011, 8:42 am

Programs: AC*E50
Variability at YYZ transborder is too high to cut things close. My last flight with Nexus I went from taxi-lounge in <10 minutes, but a few months ago I missed a flight with over 90 minutes advance arrival (that was pre-Nexus).

Show up earlier than you think you'll need and expect to spend some time on the other side.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:50 am
SYM

Programs: AC SEMM
On reflection, FrequentFlyerYYZ is right - there's no way to predict
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:52 am

i usually go in when the lounge opens and have a nice big breakfast (lots of fruits, yogurt/bran and toast
Old Jan 11, 2011, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
United Travel waiver (UA award) allowed me to change to the 08:45 am flight so I can get some sleep the night before at the Airport Sheraton It was available in "X" anyways but technically is now not the first flight in the am to qualify as a non-stopover itinerary from my AC154 YEG-YYZ the night before. Hope the weather in NYC is ok by Thursday!
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:05 am

Programs: AC*E
Anyone knows when the lounge does open in the morning?
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
The weakest link is the CATSA security check. If it were not for them many with Nexus and carry-on only would be taxi to gate in >10 minutes.

If you are travelling Mon or Fri am then plan on extra time for CATSA. These two mornings are rush hour to US.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:13 am

Programs: AC*E50
Originally Posted by elvisonski
Anyone knows when the lounge does open in the morning?
5:00 am

http://www.aircanada.jp/en/lounge-locations.htm?cLoc=jp
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I would agree to leave as much lag time as possible when connecting a transborder flight.. customs there is unpredictable.. and security is unpredictable now too.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 12:46 am
FOH

Programs: DL GM, UA nobody, Marriott Gold
I'm going to YYZ for the first time next week. What should I expect in terms of a security wait with a Friday 6:30am departure on Delta (Terminal 3)? I am a US passport holder, plan to check-in online and will only have carry-on bags.

Last edited by FOH; Jan 15, 2011 at 1:01 am
Old Jan 15, 2011, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FOH
I'm going to YYZ for the first time next week. What should I expect in terms of a security wait with a Friday 6:30am departure on Delta (Terminal 3)? I am a US passport holder, plan to check-in online and will only have carry-on bags.
I would recommend that you arrive at the terminal no later than 4:30am and once you get there, proceed immediately to the U.S. pre-clearance queue. Remember you are traveling during winter season and snow is forecasted at the time being for Friday next week so it would also be wise to allow extra time commuting to the airport as you never know what lies ahead on the wintry road conditions.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 10:03 am
B1

Originally Posted by FOH
I got through to a Delta flight with security and US border in 15 minutes with OLCI and Nexus in December at a busy time. One important thing: You have to fill CBP6059B for the US. Take your time to read it and be careful to read every line - you are filling it out for the total of yourself and those traveling with you. IF someone has crackers in their pocket and you don't declare you have food - they will give you a lecture. If there is an apple, they treat you like a criminal. (http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/va...ation_form.xml) -look at line 11. The minimum time is easy to predict but the maximum is the problem - anything is possible. But with no luggage, 90 minutes is a reasonable outside limit and I've never needed more. The problem is if there is a charter flight leaving at the same time, there can be a sudden load of passengers that they are not staffed to handle quickly. So if you have nothing better to do, get there as early as you can and sleep while you wait for your flight. Delta commuter flights are now in a better waiting area than their former hole in the basement.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by FOH
With the given facts about your status and travel documents that you are using I would arrive no later than 4:30 with OLCI done and the US entry decalration from (blue) filled out so you can head over the the CBP checkpoint lineup. Unfortunately there is no US/Alien segregation at the lineup in YYZ T3 (DL terminal).

Friday is going home day for US business flyers = rush hour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.