Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California
Reload this Page >

Nicest coastal town along 101 for Labor Day weekend - approx. halfway btwn SF and LA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nicest coastal town along 101 for Labor Day weekend - approx. halfway btwn SF and LA?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2016, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by OliverB
Recommend them anyway, just for fun!

I've got a gazillion little California road rip itineraries scattered about my documents folders and I'd be interested in your suggestions for the 99 route.

The missus is now suggesting that she might be able take off from work early, so we could potentially hit the road around noon, which would make this doable. We could grab a quick bite at the drugstore fountain in Los Banos and then continue south on the I-5 and spend a night in Hollywood or Downtown LA. Funny how this thread has evolved!
Noon is an excellent idea. Expect a minimum of 8 hours drive time to LA.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Recommend them anyway, just for fun! I've got a gazillion little California road rip itineraries scattered about my documents folders and I'd be interested in your suggestions for the 99 route.
For the notes - bierrocks in Fresno. Bierrocks are an old Russian/German homemade pocket pastries with a savory minced meat and vegetable filling. The Berrock Shop not to far from highway 99 sells them daily (closes at 8 pm).
Old Aug 17, 2016, 9:05 am

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
Doesn't that whole stretch of HWY around Harris stink like manure though?
Yeah, I worked at the feed lot over the years enough to get used to it. I think John still operates that and hasn't moved it to Mexico yet so, if so, expect the fragrance. The feed lot is massive.

I was noting the I5 and 99 runs and, OK, have fun but as a CenCal native I just have to ask why? I5 in CenCal is one of the most desolate stretches of highway in the state. The only excitement is an occasional brush fire or a sinkhole like closed it up by Stockton a couple months ago, along with Harris' feed lot stench. It's a whole lot of nothing. That's why people doing the SF-LA runs on it do 100mph whenever possible.

However, this is the perspective of someone who's been plying those roads since when I5 didn't exist and Los Banos was a dusty wide spot on 152 as one braved death alley to drive basically under where San Luis reservoir is to get to the welcome cool nirvana of the coast.

I concur with the drive time estimate of 8 hours and that's with minimal stops. It usually took us 4.5 hours straight through from Fresno to get to LAX or the OC area. More if the freeway was a parking lot down south.

Oh, regarding the Beerock Shop in Fresno...... they used to be on Clinton near Weber but moved up to Bullard and West a few years ago. We eat lunch there regularly when I'm in town and it's still excellent. I usually have the hot roast beef sandwich. Everything on the menu is good IMO. If wishing to stop, the easiest/fastest way to get there is take the Herndon offramp on south 99, go east to West Ave, then south to Bullard. Last driveway before light turn right. Shop is I think third or forth on right. Parking is always tough.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aa213bb
If you'll go to Paso, I'd recommend Hotel Cheval.
I was about to rejoice and change up our plans yet again, but alas, there's a 2-night min. stay for Labor Day weekend.

Bummer. Onward to L.A.

Thanks for the tip nonetheless; it'll surely come in handy for similar situations in future.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 9:06 am

Heh you rather drive 7 hours (x2) than spent $89 on a round trip? You can get a roundtrip ticket between Oak and Lax from Saturday morning to Monday for $89.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Need
Heh you rather drive 7 hours (x2) than spent $89 on a round trip? You can get a roundtrip ticket between Oak and Lax from Saturday morning to Monday for $89.
2 tickets plus a rental car plus to/from airport incl. SFO airport transport / parking ... driving will be faster and cheaper. Besides, SNA is their airport. From landing LAX to rental car to driving to Irvine is a 2 hour project.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Just thought I'd post an update since everyone was so helpful...

Our close friend, savior, and true American hero has offered us her beautiful 1930's apartment off Retro Row in Long Beach for the entirety of the weekend, since she'll be trading cities with us for the holidays; car and garage included! I've just cancelled our dismal hotel in Anaheim along with the Avis rental and booked roundtrip fare on Jetblue for the equivalent or less than what this unfortunate trip would have otherwise cost us. We're now flying directly into LGB on Saturday, landing just after noon, and flying back out again Monday late evening. Hallelujah!
Old Aug 18, 2016, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
2 tickets plus a rental car plus to/from airport incl. SFO airport transport / parking ... driving will be faster and cheaper. Besides, SNA is their airport. From landing LAX to rental car to driving to Irvine is a 2 hour project.
Exactly... it would have cost almost an additional 1K for a trip neither of us really wanted to make, whereas driving is around $200 with gas factored. If this were a personal vacation, I wouldn't think twice about flying. Rental car comes to approx. $145 with corporate rate and all reasonable flights were closer to $180 p/p each leg, at agreeable times that worked with our schedule. That's almost $800 for airfare alone. Then another $500-600 for hotel stay for the weekend. You get the idea... it's one thing if it were an enjoyable trip that we were looking forward to, but under normal circumstances, you would almost have to pay me the equivalent just to visit my in-laws for 3 days.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just thought I'd post an update since everyone was so helpful...

Our close friend, savior, and true American hero has offered us her beautiful 1930's apartment off Retro Row in Long Beach for the entirety of the weekend, since she'll be trading cities with us for the holidays; car and garage included! I've just cancelled our dismal hotel in Anaheim along with the Avis rental and booked roundtrip fare on Jetblue for the equivalent or less than what this unfortunate trip would have otherwise cost us. We're now flying directly into LGB on Saturday, landing just after noon, and flying back out again Monday late evening. Hallelujah!
Yeah!

I've been contemplating a trip in the reverse, maybe just partway up the coast, to get away from the evils of the Yorba Linda area. But the traffic and expense has me rethinking.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Yeah!

I've been contemplating a trip in the reverse, maybe just partway up the coast, to get away from the evils of the Yorba Linda area. But the traffic and expense has me rethinking.
Are you talking about Labor Day weekend?

Our biggest hindrance was the family thing, but if you're not tied to any strict schedule as we were, I'm sure a drive up the 101 would be very nice. There's a million places to stop along the coast. Your biggest problem might be securing rooms at this point; many of our usual spots were already booked solid when I called. You could always take the 99 and cut into the mountains too. I'd have much preferred to spend the weekend around Sequoia and Kings Canyon in the Eastern Sierra.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think I have dithered too long on the Labor Day thing for anything to happen now.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 4:06 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
... I'd have much preferred to spend the weekend around Sequoia and Kings Canyon in the Eastern Sierra.
Just FYI, those two parks are almost impossible on Labor Day. Yosemite would be worse but Sequoia and KC are also very bad. On general principles I avoid all three until after Labor Day, and we are only talking a couple of hours from home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.