Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California
Reload this Page >

Nicest coastal town along 101 for Labor Day weekend - approx. halfway btwn SF and LA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nicest coastal town along 101 for Labor Day weekend - approx. halfway btwn SF and LA?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2016, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

I have to drive down to SoCal from San Francisco over Labor Day weekend to visit the in-laws.

We're planning to hit the road after work on Fri, Sept. 2nd.

I'd like to overnight approx. half-way, to make the trip more pleasant.

Since that is the sole purpose, I'm not looking to spend $$$$ on a luxurious room in Santa Barbara, but I'm also not wanting to pull into some crummy Four Points/Holiday Inn en route.

We'd normally book a night at the Kon Tiki Inn in Pismo Beach, but they're booked solid. I tried the Anderson Inn in Morro Bay as well, but they only have rooms avail. directly on the street, and I was warned by the very kind and sweet innkeeper that it's probably best avoided over Labor Day for a restful night.

I'm now looking at possibly Cambria and ... I'm not sure where else?

Don't want to do Madonna Inn in SLO as we've stayed before and while it's a fun experience, I find it a poor value and not what we're looking for on this trip. While we haven't been through Solvang yet, it's also not really what we're aiming for.

I'd really love to find a quaint and quiet inn with clean rooms and comfortable bed in a pretty coastal inlet off the 101. Something in proximity to at least one good restaurant option (anything from casual fish shack to more ambitious white napkins service) and in the range of $250/nt, give or take. Preferably less and even better with sea views. We are literally spending the night and passing through. I've driven the coastal route many times and I'm familiar with many of the sights, attractions and roadfood from The Hitching Post in Casmalia to Cold Spring Tavern but outside of the above mentioned properties and those upscale resorts and inns around Santa Barbara, I'm kind of at a loss...

I'll stay anywhere along the coast between Cambria and Venura, I suppose. Definitely don't want to do the Southwestern route along the 99/5 however.

Any good suggestions for comfortable overnight lodging?
Old Aug 16, 2016, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
Cambria has a parade Saturday morning. There are a number of places to stay along Moonstone Drive, probably the best sea views, and there's a really popular, if somewhat expensive, restaurant there too, easily walked. We fish the north end of Moonstone, roughly from the boat launch to where it hooks back into 1. In fact, I'm thawing out a Cabazon (rock fish) that I caught there a couple weeks ago as I type this.

I'm not much on the restaurants there but have eaten at the Main Street Grill (cash, basic food, big dining room, order at counter) and did have an excellent filet the weekend before last at the Old Stone Station just to the north of MSG same side. I sampled the fish and chips too (took my friends who live there out to dinner) and those were good as well. The fried zucchini starter was excellent. I think it was about 100 bucks for the three of us with drinks and tip.

I know the area from San Simeon down to Los Osos pretty well. Been camping there for about 24 years now and have a number of friends who live along that stretch.

Expect it to be a zoo. I was there for July 4 and we'd sit at the top of the hill (one friend lives at the top of Hartford) while BBQ'ing and drinking beer and watch all the cars on 1 and Main Street. Never ending. We drove down to visit a friend who lives in Cayucos to watch the fireworks at the beach and the pier. Not as many places to stay in Cayucos. IMO you'll have better luck in Cambria or Morro Bay along that stretch. Figure, at holidays, unless you can get into the rare mom and pops for less, 250/nt is entrance fee. Stuff is expensive over there.

Two other things may end up impacting you.... both are fires.

Highway One coming from the north has the Soberanes Fire near Big Sur and its huge and slow in being contained and by the time Labor Day rolls around, if things don't change markedly, the Chimney fire will impact the north end of the area, from San Simeon on down the coast, mostly with smoke but it could, if winds drive it far enough, impact Highway 46, which is the main east/west route to the coast from Paso Robles. When I was in Cambria about a week or ten days ago, it was really smokey and that was from the Soberanes fire up the coast.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all that great info!

Here's one more hindrance that I just discovered: many places apparently impose a 2 night min. over the holiday weekend.

I just happened upon San Simeon Pines, which I absolutely love; it looks like a rustic mid-century motor inn straight out of 1940s-50s California. I was excited to book, only to find out they aren't accepting single night stays over Labor Day weekend.

One question for you, since you're obviously very familiar with the area: you mentioned that the entire stretch along the 1 will be a zoo over Labor Day but how will that impact the traffic and drive into SoCal on Sat. the 2nd? We're hoping to blow into Orange around 3pm as we have plans with family that afternoon and evening. Am I setting us up for disaster by looking this far north on such a busy weekend? It's roughly 4.5-5 hrs (possibly longer with traffic) from Moonstone Beach to our final destination. Would you expect it to be substantially longer on Sept. 2nd because of the holiday crowds? Would the Big Sur fires have any impact on traffic in any way?
Old Aug 16, 2016, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
If you're just doing this to sleep and start driving again the next day, I think you are crazy to take 101 on the holiday weekend. "After work" on Friday (no idea what time that might be) might present a 2 hour drive just to get to San Jose. You'll finally get to a bed somewhere on the central coast in time for a late bedtime. And Saturday, if you want to "blow into Orange" around 3pm, it could take you 3 hours from the time you hit the west San Fernando Valley (i.e., the last 70 miles or so).

As much as I hate to say it, you are best taking I 5, save yourself buckets of dough, and stay in a better motel halfway. You can then wake up "refreshed" and get a semi-early start to your drive into the LA area before the worst of the Saturday traffic.

Of course, another bad fire near the 5 / 405 / 14 area could close those freeways, too.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Rats, what about the Paso Robles area?

Truth be told, I had a room booked at the 1920's hotel (Padre?) in Bakersfield which I canceled the other day. I know it might sound loony, but I've been wanting to drive the SW route along the 99 for some time as there's a wealth of quirky roadside attractions, mid-century five and dime soda fountains and lunch counters, old Basque restaurants and sights of historic interest that I'd like to check out. I wanted to save it for a proper roadtrip with more time to linger.

Do you have any suggestions for decent if not somewhat pleasant accommodations along the I5? This is really not a trip I'm looking forward to taking, so the 101 route was my attempt (perhaps not so well planned) to salvage some portion of this holiday weekend. We're staying at a hotel in Anaheim for the next 2 days and spending all of our time in suburban OC, around Yorba Lina and Irvine. Barf.

If anyone could recommend something decent along the I5, that'd be really helpful. I'd rather not do the In-N-Out/Motel 6 shuffle, if it can be avoided.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OliverB
If anyone could recommend something decent along the I5, that'd be really helpful. I'd rather not do the In-N-Out/Motel 6 shuffle, if it can be avoided.
I've never stopped for the night (and avoid the drive altogether, save once every 5 years or so), but the place that looks "the best" is the Harris Ranch Inn.

Enjoy your time in Irvine. If you see a house with an improper tree variety or paint that has faded away from the acceptable neighborhood color palette, be sure to notify the local HOA. It might be a crime if you don't.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I've never stopped for the night (and avoid the drive altogether, save once every 5 years or so), but the place that looks "the best" is the Harris Ranch Inn.

Enjoy your time in Irvine. If you see a house with an improper tree variety or paint that has faded away from the acceptable neighborhood color palette, be sure to notify the local HOA. It might be a crime if you don't.
HA!

Thanks again for the suggestions about the San Simeon region; I've managed to piece together a nice weekend itin. for a future and far more enjoyable road trip!
Old Aug 16, 2016, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Eastbay1K beat me to it. Nice steakhouse serving the beef that is raised on the local ranchlands. The adjacent inn is convenient and moderately priced.

If you wanted to try one of the Basque places you could cut over fron I-5 at Los Banos (Wool Growers) or to Fresno (Shepherds Inn). Lots of accomodation options in the area.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Doesn't that whole stretch of HWY around Harris stink like manure though?

I've never stayed or dined at the property, but I seem to remember making some restroom pit-stops in the past and if memory serves, that whole area (understandably) smells like cow poop.

As for restaurants, I love the Wool Growers in Los Banos but it's so close to SF (roughly 2 hrs distance) that it's usually not an ideal place to stop for a meal, unless we're leaving the city quite late; in which case, it's even less ideal, unless we're staying overnight in the general vicinity. There's a wonderful time-warp lunch counter/soda fountain at the local Rexall Drug Co. too. There's a lot of options in Fresno as well - I love the Chicken Pie Shop, Shepherd's Inn, Lime Lite for cocktails (only!) but it's also a stop I'd prefer to make when we're driving along the US-99 and could afford to ramble through Turlock, Merced, Clovis, Sanger, Bakersfield, etc. As far as I can gather, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of comfortable and clean lodgings in these areas, which is my main concern.

I'd be very happy to stop at Harris for a good steak dinner but is there anything else in the area as far as accommodations?
Old Aug 16, 2016, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

I'm starting to think I should just man up and drive the 6hrs into N. LA and maybe spend the night in Burbank or Glendale or somewhere right below the San Joaquin Valley, just past the Grapevine... if it were any other trip, I'd just book flight on VX but I hate ponying up the bread to spend this way. I already hate this weekend!

Last edited by OliverB; Aug 16, 2016 at 7:57 pm
Old Aug 16, 2016, 8:21 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Doesn't that whole stretch of HWY around Harris stink like manure though?

I've never stayed or dined at the property, but I seem to remember making some restroom pit-stops in the past and if memory serves, that whole area (understandably) smells like cow poop.
Not always. I don't know much about the ranch operations but I have driven that stretch of I5 a lot and it seems the cows aren't always around, and/or the way the wind is blowing I stayed there overnight once and it was fine in the room.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm starting to think I should just man up and drive the 6hrs into N. LA and maybe spend the night in Burbank or Glendale or somewhere right below the San Joaquin Valley, just past the Grapevine... if it were any other trip, I'd just book flight on VX but I hate ponying up the bread to spend this way. I already hate this weekend!
It will not be a 6 hour drive if you leave after work on Friday (unless I missed it, you didn't mention what hour that will be). If you want a full night sleep, it will be in the Central Valley. If you "man up," you'll get to Burbank or Glendale just about at last call for California liquor.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 8:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

When you decide to do the 99 run, I can recommend some decent hotels.

Last edited by Doc Savage; Aug 16, 2016 at 8:48 pm
Old Aug 16, 2016, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
When you decide to do the 99 run, I can recommend some decent hotels.
Recommend them anyway, just for fun!

I've got a gazillion little California road rip itineraries scattered about my documents folders and I'd be interested in your suggestions for the 99 route.

It will not be a 6 hour drive if you leave after work on Friday (unless I missed it, you didn't mention what hour that will be). If you want a full night sleep, it will be in the Central Valley. If you "man up," you'll get to Burbank or Glendale just about at last call for California liquor.
The missus is now suggesting that she might be able take off from work early, so we could potentially hit the road around noon, which would make this doable. We could grab a quick bite at the drugstore fountain in Los Banos and then continue south on the I-5 and spend a night in Hollywood or Downtown LA. Funny how this thread has evolved!
Old Aug 16, 2016, 11:57 pm

If you'll go to Paso, I'd recommend Hotel Cheval.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.