Typical SJC-BUR Load?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Typical SJC-BUR Load?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2013, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Location: Los Angeles and Eastern Sierra (weekly travel to SJC). "Home airports": LAX/BUR/BIH/SJC
Programs: SWA A-List Preferred, TSA Pre
Typical SJC-BUR Load?

Hi, I apologize if this is posted in the wrong place. Feel free to move it if it is, but it seems like the best place. (?)

I am new to flying by myself and am moving from LA to the Bay Area. My family is in LA so I will be flying frequently, usually SJC-BUR most likely on Southwest.

I've read multiple opinions about this particular route from flights being "70% full" to "filled to the grill". What is the typical passenger load on the SJC-BUR and BUR-SJC route on Southwest? Since time probably matters, I'd likely be leaving SJC on their latest flight (9-10pm) and leaving BUR either on their latest flight, or on the 8:30am-ish flight the next day (the cheaper flight after the morning rush at 7:30).

Also, is Early Bird Check In worth it on this route? I purchased it since it is my first time, but I am curious what others think.
Old May 1, 2013, 10:57 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
You would likely get a better response if this were posted in the Southwest forum.

Load factors vary widely depending on the time of day and day of the week. Usually, the latest flight of the night is not full unless it is a Friday or Sunday. If you are traveling alone and if you are not really fussy about where you sit for a 1 hour flight, I personally think EBCI is a waste of money. Just try to check in online as close to 24 hrs before flight time as possible.
Old May 1, 2013, 1:13 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Jerry....
I think it would be better to stay here.

this is why I kind of which their was a Fly between City A and B route thread---not tied to a specific airline to answer these questions.

You have other competition with other cariers when you look at SFO/OAK/SJC to LAX/BUR/LGB/ONT/SNA.

the issue with the flights are that its a busy route especially when the route cater toward business travelers.

This route also will be popular for weekend travelers.

Some routes with southwest, they do not do A+ upgrades because > 50% of the flight are A+ members. If you want to get a good seat this is a flight you need to consider the early check in fee which may get you something in the low Bs or higher.

I would look at the best fare option that fits your schedule.
Old May 1, 2013, 1:20 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by DataJunkie
I've read multiple opinions about this particular route from flights being "70% full" to "filled to the grill". What is the typical passenger load on the SJC-BUR and BUR-SJC route on Southwest?
with Southwest in general most of their flights are going to be over 70% full.

Southwest is different than other carriers where they tend to do more continuation flights.

So your flight from SJC-to BUR will likely originate in Seattle/Portland/Spokane/Boise...thus you will have some thru passangers which will miss repesent your boarding order.

similarly the flight from BUR --if it originated in PHX or LAS could be carrying quite a few thru passangers unless its the first in the morning flight at 6am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.