Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California
Reload this Page >

Name of Small So. Cal Hotel Off Highway 1?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Name of Small So. Cal Hotel Off Highway 1?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2013, 1:40 am
Original Poster

Question Name of Small So. Cal Hotel Off Highway 1?

Hello:
I am looking for the name of a very small hotel/motel that is located right off off Highway 1, southern CA.
Ken (Mr.SFO-SJO) & I stayed there years ago. It was an older , it did NOT have a beach, but did have a dining room. You took your life in your hands to leave the hotel as you exited directly onto the highway!
Possibly built in the 1940's? It was not a chain hotel.
Anyone who knows the name of this hotel it would be appreciated if you posted - some friends of mine would like to stay there. Hearing the ocean at night even with your windows closed is heaven!
Thank you for reading my post.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 9:50 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's more than one hotel meeting this description I bet; I went to a reception at a hotel like this in Malibu (whose name escapes me too!), but it was newer.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Southern California is a pretty big area - can be anywhere from US border up to Ventura. Can you narrow it down a bit?
Old Apr 20, 2013, 6:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Maybe PacificCoastHighwayOnline can help you narrow the location down. It has a map with CA SR 1 delineated, and a link to the Wikipedia article on CA SR 1.

California State Route 1, most of the Pacific Coast Highway

I doubt you are talking about the original motel (built in 1925), or motel, originally the Milestone Mo-tel, later the Motel Inn, of San Luis Obispo, very close to highway 101 and originally built there because it took two days to drive between San Francisco and Los Angeles - it cost $1.25 a night. It had a main building that looked like an ersatz mission with bell tower and all, and is now basically a ruin with bell tower (2223 Monterey St., San Luis Obispo, CA).

(It's historically interesting, but technically in Central California.)

Motel Inn remnants, San Luis Obispo, CA

See here on Google maps.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 11:30 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
As others have said there are alot of small motels along that road. It would be helpful if you recall where you were around on this trip...was it south/north of San Fran? S/N of Monterey? etc? When you stayed there do you remember other things you did then?
Old Apr 22, 2013, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by djp98374
As others have said there are alot of small motels along that road. It would be helpful if you recall where you were around on this trip...was it south/north of San Fran? S/N of Monterey? etc? When you stayed there do you remember other things you did then?
OP said Southern California, and the place did not have a beach but was right between the ocean and Highway 1 (or right across the highway from a beach), so that does narrow it down a bit, but still leaves a pretty big area. Would be interesting to know just how many years ago they stayed there. Can't imagine many small, non-chain hotels from the 1940s still being around, but maybe this is in some quiet area
Old Apr 23, 2013, 12:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SoCal
OP said Southern California, and the place did not have a beach but was right between the ocean and Highway 1 (or right across the highway from a beach), so that does narrow it down a bit, but still leaves a pretty big area. Would be interesting to know just how many years ago they stayed there. Can't imagine many small, non-chain hotels from the 1940s still being around, but maybe this is in some quiet area
Hi!
The hotel was most likely past San Luis Obispo, there was NO beach, just a grassy sunning area and a pool. The sunning area dropped off to the ocean. It had to be highway One. There were the rooms on the first level, and on the lower level there was the pool and also a dining room. I know the clerk said because of the age of the hotel, the owners were just re-doing one or two rooms at the time. The sunning area reminded me of Moonshadows restaurant in Malibu - you just have to look down to see the ocean.
People would come just to go to the restaurant - we took a picture of a young couple in front of the Hotel/Motel.
Darn, I can literally see the name, but if you think I can remember it......
I will keep searching, of course I could do something more productive with my time, but.......
Thank you for your postings!
Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:06 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Mrs. SFO-SJC Flyer
The hotel was most likely past San Luis Obispo, there was NO beach, just a grassy sunning area and a pool. The sunning area dropped off to the ocean.
The Best Western Plus Shore Cliff Lodge in Pismo Beach seems to fit that description.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:58 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
I agree with TWA....

The hotel would have to be in the Pismo Beach area.

the only other option would be Morro Bay area.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TWA884
The Best Western Plus Shore Cliff Lodge in Pismo Beach seems to fit that description.
Could be a number of Pismo Beach motels.

I usually stay at Cottage Inn By the Sea. Fits all the descriptions she mentioned:

- Off CA-1
- Has dining room
- No beach
- Not a chain hotel (well, not a big national chain)
- Pool and grassy sunning area that drop off to the ocean (cliff side)
- You can hear the ocean with windows closed
- Rooms on the first level

http://www.cottage-inn.com/

But really, it could be any of the motels on this part of PCH.
Old May 1, 2013, 7:57 am

Programs: too many
Sometimes folks mix-up the CA-1 and US-101...could be the Cliff House Inn between Ventura and Carpinteria.

http://www.cliffhouseinn.com/
Old May 1, 2013, 11:51 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by diggitydog
Sometimes folks mix-up the CA-1 and US-101...could be the Cliff House Inn between Ventura and Carpinteria.

http://www.cliffhouseinn.com/
CA-1 is US 101 south of SLO to Pismo Beach. And again from Gaviota State Park to Oxnard.

Last edited by bzcat; May 1, 2013 at 11:56 am
Old May 2, 2013, 3:35 am

Programs: too many
Originally Posted by bzcat
CA-1 is US 101 south of SLO to Pismo Beach. And again from Gaviota State Park to Oxnard.
Yes, thank you, that is my point ^ and I know what the maps say but I lived in Ventura and SB Counties for 20 years. Many travelers may think they are on the 1 when it is actually a portion of the 101 that has CA1 signs for continuity reasons.

You would never give someone directions and refer to the 101 in those stretches as the 1 unless you were directing them to Solimar beach or Faria Point--a stretch in that area where the 1 is separate and runs parallel to the 101.

This is all pretty inconsequential to the thread and OP but if you ask someone in that area for directions, you get better results if you speak their language.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.