Search

Ryanair free seat promo again.. only pay taxes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2005, 6:35 am
Original Poster
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Ryanair free seat promo again.. only pay taxes

Hi!

Me am not a fan of Ryanair at all, but while checking something on their website for a friend, I came across this promo.. lots of destination seems to be only 0.01cents and you pay taxes only. Seems to be for flights in Jan'06 till middle of Feb'06.

Checked a few weekend dates and seems to have some good availabilities..

Enjoy!

Old Dec 9, 2005, 11:15 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH Gold, UA silver, Hertz PC
will give it a try
Old Dec 9, 2005, 12:00 pm

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
OK, I admit it, it's a rant...

Hey, this is wonderful for Ryanair! Now if they delay your flight for four days, they can refund you a single cent and they're off the hook!

If they decide to start paying me for it, maybe I'll consider flying them again.
Old Dec 10, 2005, 1:44 am

...and the tax refund (not)!

Originally Posted by alex0683de
Hey, this is wonderful for Ryanair! Now if they delay your flight for four days, they can refund you a single cent and they're off the hook!

If they decide to start paying me for it, maybe I'll consider flying them again.
If they cancel they are also legally obliged to refund the taxes ...

But, look closely at their Terms & Conditions - there's an 'admin charge' of GB£20 or equivalent per flight for refunds and the average tax charge is - GB£11!

Latest score: Passenger 0:1 Ryanair
Old Dec 25, 2005, 4:43 pm

Programs: UAL Silver!, Starwood Gold, Marriott Plat, AA Exec Platinum
Not necessarily to feed the debate..l.but I had 2 successful flights on Ryanair Frankfurt-Goteborg. Yes, the airports were way out of town. Yes, it was like a flying bus. But it was also a really cheap way to fly and see some friends that I would otherwise not have seen. YMMV

TT
Old Dec 25, 2005, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by farci

But, look closely at their Terms & Conditions - there's an 'admin charge' of GB£20 or equivalent per flight for refunds and the average tax charge is - GB£11!

An admin charge of GB£20 is more than what some of the flights cost. That's doesn't seem like a bargain.
Old Dec 25, 2005, 10:28 pm

Programs: NWA, UA Silver. Hilton Diamond
if the seats werent "free" youd pay about the same. its not really a great bargain, just seems to be unique accounting. its not really a killer deal for the consumer. with ryanair and easyjet, you get what you pay for. its a flying bus, no more no less. i have flown ryan and easy and have not had problems. i know there are many consumers who have problems with them. when i fly them i dont expect much more than getting from A to B. its a great way to make a budget trip to europe possible. flying in to london and taking EZ or Ryan to other countries rather than taking a train or a RT can save a couple bucks, just make sure you figure in the cost of getting from an out of the way airport to the destination.

only wish they had a free tix from london - vce feb 9th, oh well.

Last edited by grbflyer; Dec 25, 2005 at 10:30 pm
Old Dec 26, 2005, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by grbflyer
when i fly them i dont expect much more than getting from A to B.
As long as they DO get you from A to B you're fine.

Most Ryanair horror stories are about the times when they DIDN'T get passengers from A to B... like those Scottish passengers that got stuck in Lubeck last month (I happened to be in Lubeck at the same time). For those who are not familiar with the story, the aircraft went tech and the passengers were offered the choice between:

- a full refund (great if you were on a "free" ticket)
- seats on the next available flight (a minimum wait of four days as flights for the next three days were fully booked), or (wait for this!)
- seats on a flight to Italy

I understand that most of the stranded passengers (many of them elderly) ended up going home by train - a VERY long journey.

I appreciate that most Ryanair flights operate without a hitch... but it's the times things go wrong that worry me. I would never book a Ryanair flight if I have to get from A to B... at least not without making sure I had alternatives in case things go wrong.
Old Dec 26, 2005, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by farci
An admin charge of GB£20 is more than what some of the flights cost. That's doesn't seem like a bargain.
That's exactly the point. Most of us accept the 'flying bus' limitations of low cost airlines. But in Ryanair's case, not refunding statutory taxes & charges is actually a profit centre.

Until there is head-to-head competition amongst LCA's - as is now happening in the US - Ryanair will continue to treat passengers as units of profit rather than providing a service which might build loyalty

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.