Wiki Posts
Search

Flying stand by (d3) worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2005, 12:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, HHonors Diamond
Flying stand by (d3) worth it?

So I'm still mulling my options for going to Aussie-land. My friend's parents work for American, one of them in ticketing. I could potentially get a standby ticket for about $500 (she tells me) but she says that it's a nightmare flying standby, especially when it gets into the whole switching airlines within OneWorld.

What do you all think? Is it worth trying? Or should I save up some money and get the Aussie Air Pass?
Old Sep 28, 2005, 9:22 pm

Save your money. It might wind up being a nightmare.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 8:55 pm

Programs: PC Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by mesadler
I agree.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 3:49 pm
RTR

Programs: hilton honours, spg
Originally Posted by gosha83
So I'm still mulling my options for going to Aussie-land. My friend's parents work for American, one of them in ticketing. I could potentially get a standby ticket for about $500 (she tells me) but she says that it's a nightmare flying standby, especially when it gets into the whole switching airlines within OneWorld.

What do you all think? Is it worth trying? Or should I save up some money and get the Aussie Air Pass?
Depends on how much time you have on your hands and if you HAVE TO get back to work on any particular day.

If your life permits some flexibilty go for stand by. There can be many pleasant surprises but you must have an open mind. GAs and airport staff will handle all revenue pax first.

You might suggest to your friend that she clearly check the rules for sending buddies on OAL. In my recollections you could only use buddy passes on your own "metal", even under oneworld.

Bon Voyage in any event!
Old Nov 2, 2005, 7:19 pm

As a previous airline employee - I got very use to flying stand by. I never minded the wait considering I was either flying free or at a greatly reduced cost. My husband on the other hand can't stand it. Determine how much the money savings means to you and is your time more valuable than that. Good Luck!
Old Dec 9, 2005, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by mesadler

Almost a divorce for me.
Old Dec 26, 2005, 8:48 pm

Going to wont be a problem however you may run into problems coming back. But if you have free time, do it because you cant beat the price. Speaking from a season standby traveler SYD is on our black list. The thing is people get stuck in Sydney if they travel at the wrong time of year but getting a backup ticket through ANZ will help. Check your flights before u go, if the flights are anywhere near overbook then forget it because Qantas flys from OZ with empty seats because of the winds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.