Reload this Page >

Low budget travel tips

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Low budget travel tips

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2023, 7:26 pm

I’ve found that packing a soft cooler and several ziplock bags can come in handy especially if you don’t have a fridge where you’re staying. I’ll go to a grocery store and buy some drinks and fruits and other snacks. And sometimes use the ziplocks to hold ice for the cooler.

Eating breakfast and having my coffee in my room before setting out for the day saves money but especially time. Can also mean less grumpy people in my group.
Old Sep 17, 2023, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by christhewriter
A few tips I've learned from my trips:

1. Travel off season.
2. Eat at street.
3. Avoid taxicabs and its high rates.
4. Buy your flight tickets with months in advance.
5. Pack light and avoid extra charges at airlines.

I totally agree with those tips! In addition to that, consider researching free or discounted activities at your destination, opting for affordable accommodations like hostels.
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 10:58 am

Of course! Drawing from personal experience, I offer the following advice:

Visit during the off-season to avoid crowds and locate less expensive lodging.
Choose street food to sample local cuisine and save money on meals.
To save money on transportation, take public transit rather than a cab.
To ensure reduced pricing, get your airline tickets early in advance.
Carry as little as possible when you travel to save money on airfares and other expenses.
With these suggestions, I hope you can budget-friendly plan your next trip!
Old Mar 9, 2024, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by christhewriter (Post # 1) (March 2016)
A few tips I've learned from my trips:

4. Buy your flight tickets with months in advance.
Originally Posted by merohitjain101 (Post # 93)
Of course! Drawing from personal experience, I offer the following advice:

To ensure reduced pricing, get your airline tickets early in advance.
Since this thread was started, airlines have applied artificial intelligence (AI) algorithms to revenue management and almost never offer their best fares months in advance. They have no reason to.

There may be a constantly changing "sweet spot" to purchase tickets, which the airlines will never reveal to us, of between three weeks and two months prior to travel.

If sales are poor, there may be some last-minute good deals under this AI. On the other hand, with strong sales, the fares will likely only increase.

It pays to be flexible and to check fares often.

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Mar 9, 2024 at 1:52 am
Old Mar 9, 2024, 12:21 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Some good points there SPN Lifer

Some airlines offer full credit when cancelling a flight. I was able to do that with UA for a domestic flight, and then used the credit months later for a Canada - Europe flight, so at least with UA I am able to purchase a ticket months in advance, and watch to see if the price drops. I don't recall if that is related to my lifetime Gold status, but IIRC this is a relatively new perk for all fliers (but if you don't have status you may want to double check).

But I do agree that buying months in advance does not tend to get the best price, as the airlines will throw out high fares, and lower them later in most instances - my guess is that they hope pax will want to lock in a flight and/or think that is the time when prices are lowest and don't bother to check later to see if price will be lower.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by EmailKid (Post # 95)
Some airlines offer full credit when cancelling a flight. I was able to do that with UA for a domestic flight, and then used the credit months later for a Canada - Europe flight, so at least with UA I am able to purchase a ticket months in advance, and watch to see if the price drops. I don't recall if that is related to my lifetime Gold status, but IIRC this is a relatively new perk for all fliers (but if you don't have status you may want to double check).
On UA, change fees have indeed been waived for all members, regardless of Premier™ status, for "trips" that originate in the USA. See the Wiki in this UA Forum thread.

Change Fees "Gone For Good"(WW ex-USA,non-BE), credit for lower fare!, Intl&BE waiver
EmailKid likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 1:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Since this thread was started, airlines have applied artificial intelligence (AI) algorithms to revenue management and almost never offer their best fares months in advance. They have no reason to.

There may be a constantly changing "sweet spot" to purchase tickets, which the airlines will never reveal to us, of between three weeks and two months prior to travel.

If sales are poor, there may be some last-minute good deals under this AI. On the other hand, with strong sales, the fares will likely only increase.

It pays to be flexible and to check fares often.
Funnily enough, I'd almost bet that one of the two posts you quoted was AI generated.
SPN Lifer and LapLap like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.