Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Low budget travel tips

Low budget travel tips

Old Sep 22, 2016, 10:31 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
In airplane mode, you can't use wifi. Just turn off the cellular function.
That's not true at all. When using Gogo you are (hopefully) in airplane mode and using wifi simultaneously.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 5:24 am

Programs: MR, TYP, AA, B6, DL, WN, HH, MB, 2V
Originally Posted by EmailKid
I find granola bars OK, but NEVER eat them while travelling.

Half the fun of travel is to find a good place to eat @:-)

Even at the airport, I allow myself a guilty pleasure that I don't often indulge in - French Fries

Ordered as a side dish, often doesn't cost much more than a couple of bucks, and it fills me up.

OK, not all that healthy, but since I only do this when I fly, not too bad healthwise, but oh so delicious ^

Suppose I could bring granola bars for emergencies ....
Totally feel you, a bit of personal preference I suppose. I find the real value in being able to get to things early. My trip to Peru last year and Mexico recently, for Machu Picchu, Chichen Itza, the Tulum ruins, etc. snagging some granola bars/trail mix in the morning allowed me to beat the huge throng of folks arriving in the late morning. By the time the crowds get to those sites, we'd leave to splurge on great local/street food for lunch.

And by splurge, I mean 100 pesos for dinner for 3 to fill up on the best traditional tacos I have EVER had. Didn't quite break the budget
bluestrudels likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 5:19 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
Half the fun of travel is to find a good place to eat @:-)
I seldom feel like this. For me, not knowing if I'm going to find good food can be tiring and stressful. Although I'm vegetarian, and depending on country, that's a problem.

Even in places like France, vegetarianism just doesn't seem to be catered for. I used to hate sitting on my phone trying to find a restaurant nearby with one vegetarian option on the menu. In the end I just gave up and went to fast food restaurants.

In Japan, I didn't even bother. I just alternated between Indian food/Thai food/pizza every day.

I occasionally find vegan restaurants, but their food is not to my taste.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Skatering
I seldom feel like this. For me, not knowing if I'm going to find good food can be tiring and stressful. Although I'm vegetarian, and depending on country, that's a problem.

Even in places like France, vegetarianism just doesn't seem to be catered for. I used to hate sitting on my phone trying to find a restaurant nearby with one vegetarian option on the menu. In the end I just gave up and went to fast food restaurants.

In Japan, I didn't even bother. I just alternated between Indian food/Thai food/pizza every day.

I occasionally find vegan restaurants, but their food is not to my taste.
I agree with this post so much. Finding veg. restaurants, or even veg. food in restaurants abroad can be a challenge, especially when your command of the native language isn't very strong.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 11:59 am

Programs: MR, TYP, AA, B6, DL, WN, HH, MB, 2V
Originally Posted by ginoa724
I agree with this post so much. Finding veg. restaurants, or even veg. food in restaurants abroad can be a challenge, especially when your command of the native language isn't very strong.
Cue granola bars!
Old Sep 27, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
Your profile does not list your country, but I can tell you that for Canadian and especially US based travelers, that is about the WORST advice you can give.

Trying to exchange $$$ to foreign currency is very painful in US, and with ATMs it is much easier and usually cheaper to exchange / use ATM once you get there.
The poster is from Canada and there are some deals to be had locally (In Calgary, Canada we have Calforex).
Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Check Groupon for getaway deals if your dates are flexible and you have a travel partner, or you don't mind paying an additional fee to travel alone. Some of them include airfare and hotel accommodations.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:56 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by kipper

Check Groupon for getaway deals if your dates are flexible and you have a travel partner, or you don't mind paying an additional fee to travel alone. Some of them include airfare and hotel accommodations.
Way back when one could find some deals using Airline vacations (Continental for me, that's how long since I've found a good deal this way), but these days I have found Groupon to be a waste of time, particularly for travel, and even more so for single traveler like myself

Glad you had a better experience ...

And my dates AND destinations are EXTREMELY flexible @:-)
bluestrudels likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 2:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Way back when one could find some deals using Airline vacations (Continental for me, that's how long since I've found a good deal this way), but these days I have found Groupon to be a waste of time, particularly for travel, and even more so for single traveler like myself

Glad you had a better experience ...

And my dates AND destinations are EXTREMELY flexible @:-)
As of yesterday, they have excursions for PRG, RKV, and CDG that include airfare and hotels. That said, they do seem to require double-occupancy. I booked one for MXP and traveled in February with a friend. Mr. Kipper and I just booked one for PRG, as he wanted to attend Transmission: Prague, and it covered airfare and hotel for dates around the festival.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 11:35 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by financialhippie
Totally feel you, a bit of personal preference I suppose. I find the real value in being able to get to things early. My trip to Peru last year and Mexico recently, for Machu Picchu, Chichen Itza, the Tulum ruins, etc. snagging some granola bars/trail mix in the morning allowed me to beat the huge throng of folks arriving in the late morning. By the time the crowds get to those sites, we'd leave to splurge on great local/street food for lunch.

And by splurge, I mean 100 pesos for dinner for 3 to fill up on the best traditional tacos I have EVER had. Didn't quite break the budget
I concur here, one of the best travel tips we do is always turning up 15-30 mins before the opening time at popular attractions (especially those that charges you entry fee for the day). They usually let us in early, and most of the time, we arrive ON opening time despite planning for it to be earlier. Photos turns out amazing due to the morning sunrise lighting, and virtually NO CROWDS. Then we save the peak (or usually hottest) hours of the day 11-2pm exploring the other parts of the city when the locals visit, or back in the hotel resting. And start again in the early evening around 4-5pm. Not quite a budget tip, but definitely brings the most value out of your money for such experiences.
financialhippie likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 9:42 am

Thank you everybody for the excellent tips
Old Jul 13, 2018, 2:30 am

Programs: None
Just a piece of advice, Always bring an experienced traveler with you to avoid scam &high charges(overpriced) goods.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 4:49 am

Book your fight ticket before 3 to 4 months
Pack Less
To select good rating hotels
To select well experienced travel guide
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:59 am

Never travel in peak season
Try to make the list of affordable vendors in advance
Compare options like accommodation, transport and tour tickets before buying them.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:16 pm

I bring peanut butter with me and buy fresh bread or rolls in the morning ,
go to supermarket for sandwich stuff for lunch and eat at a local restaurant for dinner , I am not a foodie !
I bring clothes I do not love so I can leave them or give them away before I head home ,
Bring a phone you have "retired" , if it gets lost , broken or falls in the river no big lose , and get a local sim.

But mostly go with eyes wide open and enjoy the difference
financialhippie likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.