Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Low budget travel tips

Low budget travel tips

Old Nov 7, 2019, 12:43 am

When you have tight connection flight carry-on is a way to go

Take the empty water bottle through airport security and fill it up when you come to the gate.

Reading tips on forums like this also helps. Priceless

Also I find useful web sites like:
www.fly4free.com (have great deals) or
https://www.goopti.com/en/about/goop...ts-error-fares

Last edited by EmailKid; Nov 7, 2019 at 7:01 am Reason: post padding
Old May 9, 2020, 1:14 am

Programs: Travel
General tips for budget travel
  • Don't eat three meals a day.
  • Families can save even more on food by using the grocery store.
  • Travel in the off-season.
  • Share your trip (and its costs) with a friend or family member.
  • Go where you know people.
  • Avoid gift shops and shopping in general.
pudgym29 likes this.
Old May 10, 2020, 4:18 pm

^ The price of items in gift/souvenir shops was enough for me to stay away from them completely.

If your Airbnb/accommodation allows cooking them yeah, grocery shopping would make you save.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 3:59 am

Great advice, That'll be helpful for me in my travel trip.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 10:58 pm

That is good, where are you planning to go? Africa?
Old Nov 23, 2021, 12:17 am

I think, I'll go to Italy with my friends, on holidays.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 11:50 pm

it is not about the cost, it is about the experience, pay less and travel more!

Last edited by EmailKid; Jan 8, 2022 at 10:53 am Reason: removed SPAM and African travel promotion - this is travel tips thread, not promotion thread
Old Mar 28, 2022, 5:18 pm

Some excellent tips so far!

Some of our favourite budget tips for saving $$ on travel include:
- buy flights early - in Australia buying Europe flights 4-6 months in advance are much cheaper than close to the date. Also flying into major airports saves cost
- book accomodation early to get cheap AND good accommodation. Booking last minute usually means the high quality cheap accom is gone.
- make breakfast at your room/accom (if your accom doesn't have it) rather than eating out for all meals
- avoid buying lots of the touristic type things - been there and done that, you never end up using them much haha
- read travel blogs and reivew for cheap food options
Old May 19, 2023, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by christhewriter
A few tips I've learned from my trips:

1. Travel off season.
2. Eat at street.
3. Avoid taxicabs and its high rates.
4. Buy your flight tickets with months in advance.
5. Pack light and avoid extra charges at airlines.

I agree with everything said. Additional tips, travel with a group so you have someone to split the payment on the room and transportation. Do not forget to enjoy the moment, after all, it's not the money spent that matters, it is the experience you have.
Old May 21, 2023, 12:03 am

Bit of an out-of-the box idea: make large-ticket purchases overseas where you can claim a refund on sales tax, then you are effectively cutting down cost of travel by making savings on purchases you would have made anyway.

In Europe, the sales tax would be VAT, in Australia GST etc.

This works best for destinations where you can claim the refund DIY without the need for agents. For example, GST refund at Australian airports is quite straightforward.

Your savings may vary... if I understand correctly there is also no sales tax in Delaware for example.

In the same way, taxes aside, you might find some things are just cheaper thanks to local pricing.
Old May 21, 2023, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by michaelw9408
Bit of an out-of-the box idea: make large-ticket purchases overseas where you can claim a refund on sales tax, then you are effectively cutting down cost of travel by making savings on purchases you would have made anyway.

In Europe, the sales tax would be VAT, in Australia GST etc.

This works best for destinations where you can claim the refund DIY without the need for agents. For example, GST refund at Australian airports is quite straightforward.

Your savings may vary... if I understand correctly there is also no sales tax in Delaware for example.

In the same way, taxes aside, you might find some things are just cheaper thanks to local pricing.
Beware: Many states that have a sales tax also have a compensating "use tax" which they apply to their residents who purchase things elsewhere and then "import" them to use in their home state. If I buy an item overseas or in a state with no sales tax and bring it home to New York, I will owe New York a use tax equal to the applicable sales tax in my county. New York State even has a line on its personal income-tax return on which filers are required to report the tax due on such items.
Old May 21, 2023, 11:33 am

Interesting! Here in the UK we have an allowance so if bringing back goods for personal use below a certain threshold it's VAT free.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 9:17 am

Eat cheap and rescue food

-Make use of apps where restaurants offer their unsold food for a cheap price. It is available in a lot of countries.
-Lots of bakeries often discount Sandwiches just before closing. Buy these offers and eat it for breakfast
Old Jun 20, 2023, 8:26 am

I’ve always travelled off season because it’s affordable.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 6:09 am

Those are great tips. I would say the best way for me to save as much money as possible when traveling, is finding cheap accomodation. I almost never stay in hotels. I either choose hostels or small cheap apartments. And if for some reason I do want to stay in a hotel (when I travel with children or older people like my grandparents), I make sure it's not very expensive, it doesn't have to be a fancy hotel with a pool and sauna. Another way I save money is by eating in small local restaurants instead of the expensive ones. That way I save money while also tasting the best local dishes.
pudgym29 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.