$1 bills - very handy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$1 bills - very handy

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2011, 6:49 am

Programs: AA PLat
On 2nd thought , 2 $ bills are great for the US. I've used them here , people dont forget you . best to stick with singles overseas. Your dollars get inspected enuff , no reason to confuse them with a 2$ .
Old Oct 26, 2011, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by trooper
Or perhaps (like me) the OP lives outside the USA, but visits regularly and would like to have those all important "ones" prior to arrival...

Didn't anyone else read the bit that said "Just landed..."?

Was it really such a weird question? Don't any Americans obtain their foreign currencies prior to departure?

I would suggest the OP uses the exchange services of their own "usual" bank - if they have such a service - as it makes it easier to request small bills that way.. IME at least..
Well, no, when I was living in the states, I got my foreign currency from an ATM on arrival (or in a few countries where the rates were decent, at an exchange booth not at the airport), not at the awful rates that you get on FX in the US.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 8:26 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
I have been in exactly the same situation! When I used to travel to the USA (now living here) the first person I would be served by is the barkeep in the Admirals Club at LAX.. and I never had ones...

But you will find that if you get cash out at a terminal in the ATM there are plenty of places that will be happy to change it for you... And I always made sure I left the US with plenty of ones so I had an easy supply for next time...

(I am actually a lot less disciplined now I live here... I constantly find myself bereft of ones... and some times any cash.. they need ATMs in clubs!)
Old Oct 29, 2011, 6:14 pm

Programs: SM Gold, MP 2P, HH Gold, SPG Gold, PC
No one else saw this thread title and immediately thought "Strip club"??
Old Oct 31, 2011, 7:46 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by piratejo
No one else saw this thread title and immediately thought "Strip club"??
You must visit a lot of those if that's your association with $1 bills
Old Oct 31, 2011, 8:31 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver
$ bills

I just collect them over time and take a bunch when I travel.

To the posters who seem to think $ bills are unwanted/a pain - wrong. People who work in the travel/tourist industry regularly get tips in forex. This is either because tourists have not yet had time to exchange their money, don't have any small bills or think that a $ bill has more value than a local low-denom bill.

Believe me, the tipees get a lot of these, they appreciate them and they know exactly what to do with them.

D.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 9:04 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by cordelli
Some do, but I have friends for example who just went to Italy. They are not stupid people by any means, but really didn't have a clue where to exchange dollars for euros. They tried their bank, but were told it takes a couple of days, so they were going to do a transaction at the airport before taking off so they would have change when they landed, and plan on ATM after that.

They didn't want to deal with going into a country, getting to the city and train and the rest and have to find money too.

So to any place that exchanges money in the US, stand alone places, airports, big banks, American Express offices, you will almost always see people exchanging money so they have the foreign currency when they land.
Why can't they just go to an ATM in the airport as soon as they land?
Old Nov 7, 2011, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by cbn42
Why can't they just go to an ATM in the airport as soon as they land?
One issue is that many airport ATMs dispense only large bills, meaning that one must then find a shop, etc, to break a €100 note (for example, to obtain coins for a machine that only accepts euro coins). An arrival at an early or late hour, when shops may be closed, only further complicates the matter (especially for inexperienced travelers).

Many AAA travel offices offer "tip paks", a sealed package of small-denomination banknotes (in the US, many local AAA Travel offices offer carry GBP and EUR paks, other currency must be ordered online).

One other place that people might not immediate think of as a source of small-denomination currency is large shopping centers. In my area, for example, the Sawgrass Mills mega-mall has two currency exchange desks. Some of my friends and co-workers actually go there to dispose of "leftover" currency when they return from a trip (they don't travel often, so they don't want to hold onto the currency for the next trip, as many FTers would want to do - they also don't care that they are receiving bad exchange rates, they just want to get rid of the currency).
Old Nov 8, 2011, 7:28 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
One issue is that many airport ATMs dispense only large bills, meaning that one must then find a shop, etc, to break a €100 note (for example, to obtain coins for a machine that only accepts euro coins). An arrival at an early or late hour, when shops may be closed, only further complicates the matter (especially for inexperienced travelers).
Find the nearest currency exchange booth and break the large bill there. I've only been denied at LHR.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 8:17 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Palal
Find the nearest currency exchange booth and break the large bill there. I've only been denied at LHR.
Did that in BUD when I wanted to take public bus from the airport to the rail station.

Now the ATM close to the railway station in Bratislava actually spat out a mixture of small and large bills A first for me, and up until now also the last

EmailKid
Old Nov 9, 2011, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by Palal
Good idea IF the exchanges are open at the specific hour of the day
Old Nov 10, 2011, 2:24 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Before the ATM as a primary source of exchange, I had to use money changers; in many countries there was a minimum fee, which was often waved if you were only changing, say less than $5.00. On my day of departure, if I only wanted to get a snack (or use a locker), costing the equivalent of, say, $3, having singles $1 came in handy. I found that many money changers (even outside the US) were willing to "swap" a $10 bill for 10 ones (not as an exchange transaction^).
Old Nov 10, 2011, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Materdei
Guys,

You need to give the OP some latitude here.

I'll be going to Ecuador in November and they use the US Dollar exclusively (mostly). Small bills come in handy there.

Now I have a question for the OP myself. If you're in a country that uses the US dollar the best way to get small bills is the same way you get them here. Buy something small and give the cashier a $20.

So, where do you give US bills as tips? Inquiring minds want to know!
I had little trouble with $10 or $5 bills when I was in Ecuador, but if you visit any of the smaller cities you might not be able to change a $20. The US Sacajawea dollar coins are pretty prominent down there if you can get a hand on those as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.