Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Low-cost Airlines Score: Australia 4 Canada 0 WHY???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2011, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus, SkyMiles, Aeroplan

I read today that Australia is getting a new low-cost airline called Air Australia. With existing low-cost carriers Tiger Airlines, Virgin and Jetstar this now makes 4 low-cost airlines in this land down under.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Canada's low-cost airline count continues to be 0... Yes, that's right not one!... For those Westjet fans, yes, it's a good airline, but hardly low-cost. Whereas one can fly from coast-to-coast in Australia (Sydney to Perth) for $300-400 dollars return, in Canada a comparable trip (Montreal to Vancouver) costs a minimum of $550-$600.

My question is WHY? Why does Australia with a population of 23 million have 4 low-cost airlines while Canada with 35 million people has 0?

After travelling around the world using low-cost airlines from countries both big and small, I've returned to Canada confounded by our complete absence of them.

Is it possible that the Govt of Canada is protecting Air Canada by keeping competitors out? With Air Canada being saddled with the burden of French language obligations throughout all of it's operations, could it be that in return the Govt is protective of Air Canada?

Last edited by ottawop; Nov 4, 2011 at 7:08 am
Old Nov 9, 2011, 5:01 am

How many budget domestic New Zealand airlines?

What about Porter?
Old Nov 11, 2011, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by ottawop
Whereas one can fly from coast-to-coast in Australia (Sydney to Perth) for $300-400 dollars return
You can actually get these fares for around $100AUD... when they are on special. $300-400 could get you to Singapore or Bali...
Old Nov 11, 2011, 5:59 pm

Programs: Credit Cards
Originally Posted by SirJman
How many budget domestic New Zealand airlines?
I guess JetStar is the only one left in NZ... DJ doesn't do anything internally now, does it?
Old Nov 11, 2011, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Its not that there have been no low-cost carriers operating in Canada, there have a few, but they all failed. In the last decade we have had 3000, Zoom, Jetsgo, Canjet, Roots and Royal go under. Wardair was bought by Canadian and Greyhound Air proved dogs don't fly!

Time will tell if Australia Air survives its reincarnation (formerly Strategic Air, a freight and military contractor). Also, Tiger Airways is a pale shadow of its former self, limited to only SYD-MEL after the Australian authorities shut it down over safety concerns.

In general, Australians are probably the tops in flying amongst all nations. Despite their size, they have 3 of the busiest city routes pairs SYD-MEL; SYD-BNE and MEL-BNE and I am always amazed at how many Aussies I meet in my travels.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AZ Exec, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by ottawop
For those Westjet fans, yes, it's a good airline, but hardly low-cost.
There is no way you can consider WS anything but low-cost. LCC by definition means a carrier which operates on a low-cost model, not necessarily one with "low fares". And in the Canadian market, it does have low fares; Tango fares on AC are directly aimed at competing with WS. Blame the government's love affair with protecting AC and draconian regulations for the lack of competition in the Canadian airline industry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.