Reload this Page >

Walk to/from the Airport to save money

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2015, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: frb98mf
Note: in many cases there are shorter walks available to either nearby public transport that may be cheaper than the more expensive trains to the airport, or to nearby attractions. If you edit this wiki, please post those as well.

Airport - Notes (include time and a link to a google map route)
AGP - approx. 40 minutes from Holiday Inn Express, which is the nearest airport hotel
ANC - downtown 1h 20'
BOM - from domestic terminal to Ville Parle railway station (crowded on week-days, OK on week-ends) (20 mn)
BRE - center (45 min)
BRU - from Zaventem train station
CNX (Chiang Mai, Thailand) - 48 minutes from the far side of old town, less to near side
CPH - city center(1h30 min)
DAD (Da Nang, Vietnam) - one hour to the beach, 40 minutes to the center
DAL - downtown(2h) or take bus 524 for free to Inwood Station and then walk. Costs $2.50 TO DAL.
DCA - 15 minutes. Crystal City, Arlington.
EDI - short walk to the nearby Hilton. Airport bus also stops across the street from Hilton and goes to centre of town
ETH - AIRPORT CLOSED
FUK - 45 minutes to Hakata Station
GIB - at the north end of Gibraltar. Walkable to La Linea or to Gibraltar
GVA - center (1hr), CERN (1h4),
IEV - City center(1h30 min)
ITM - to Hotarugaike station (Hankyu network) avoiding Monorail (18 mn)
JFK - Lefferts Blvd airtrain station to subway (to avoid airtrain fee) (20 min)
LCA - about 1h to center seafront
LCY - to Canary Wharf (1 hr)
LIS - Oriente (40 mins), city center (1h20m)
LIN - center (1h30m)
LYR - center (1hr) - watch out for the polar bears! (gun required, or make sure you are traveling with someone you can outrun)
MAA - to Tirusulam station across the elevated highway (10 mn)
MAD - T123Barajas metro station (to save on airport surcharge) (30 min)
MEX - T2 to Pantitlan Metro (10 min)
NCE - Arrivals level to the city center's Gare-de-Ville station (75 min)
PEK - Buy a metro card at the metro station but don't take the extremely expensive CNY 25 train there. Walk outside and take 850快 via expressway to the city, CNY 2 only after discount.
PRG - center This map is somewhat deceptive - if you try to walk along the road, there is no room (3h)
SAN - downtown along the coast (40 mins), sidewalks
SDU - downtown Rio (30 min)
SDV - AIRPORT CLOSED
SJC - downtown (1hr)
SJJ - to the nearest trolley bus line (15 min), to the center (2 hrs)
SYD - int'l terminal to Wolli Creek Station (to avoid the airport surcharge) (20 min)
domestic terminal to Mascot station (to avoid the airport surcharge) (20 min)
TLS - to the center (1h40m)
TOS - center (1hr)
TSA - to center (40 mn to 1 hr)
WAW - center (1h40m)
WIC - to the centre (15 min)
WLG - center (1h30m)
YTZ - tunnel to the island is now open.

Print Wikipost

Walk to/from the Airport to save money

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Actually, fresh snow might have been ok. My issue with snow is that paths can get slippy. I was well prepared for rain (I'm British it is a requirement. LOL). My life has been transformed by the discovery of fully waterproof trainers and what look like "fashion" boots. Unfortunately, said footwear probably should be banned from anywhere with the word budget as a heading.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by Iamnotlost
Had some time to kill at Helsinki Airport yesterday. Walked from the airport to the Jumbo. Google maps says 3.3km (2 miles) though it felt further in the rain and wind (though was grateful not snowing). Excellent footpaths though they didn't quite follow the road as I had hoped so I think I made a couple of unnecessary loops.

I think I saved 3 euro each way on the bus - which will obviously mitigate the 90+ euro I spent in the shopping centre
Although it sure is admirable to enjoy the fine fresh air and exercise by walking and also save few euros, let me mention that single ticket within city of Vantaa would been only 2.20 € when purchased via HSL app and since these tickets are valid for 80 minutes with unlimited number of changes, one ticket might been sufficient for a shorter visit.

And for others who are brave enough to walk (or cycle) to/from HEL, you can get guidance for walking and cycling routes in Finnish capital region from Journey Planner, although from that service you will easily learn that the distance between the airport and Helsinki city centre is perhaps bit too long journey for a walk: for example from the airport to Helsinki main railway station is 19,1 km with estimated walking time of 3 hours 49 minutes...
Old Dec 16, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
In Iqaluit, the capital of the Canadian territory of Nunavut, nothing is more than a 20-minute walk from the airport (YFB). However, it can get a bit chilly and a tad snowy in the winter.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:39 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Walked to BRL (Burlington, Iowa, USA) from its downtown; took a shade under an hour, particularly because I was admiring the Mississippi River views from the bluffs close to the airport.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:29 am

DCA

DCA - 15 minutes. Terminal A to Crystal Drive restaurants in Crystal City, Arlington. Crystal City is adjacent to Washington DC.

DCA - 24 minutes. Terminal (B/C) to Crystal Drive restaurants in Crystal City, Arlington.

Whether this qualifies under OP's "Center of Action" criteria is debatable.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:15 pm
Suspended

kid needed to get from Copper Mt Colorado to Vail airport. Too young to hire a car, which was cheap, but did a quote on a Uber. Then found out that Uber not permitted on Vail airport, so Uber guy dropped off kid outside airport & kid had to walk last 200 metres. Luckily it wasn't a huge airport.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 7:06 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by OZFLYER86
kid needed to get from Copper Mt Colorado to Vail airport. Too young to hire a car, which was cheap, but did a quote on a Uber. Then found out that Uber not permitted on Vail airport, so Uber guy dropped off kid outside airport & kid had to walk last 200 metres. Luckily it wasn't a huge airport.
While technically kid walked to the airport, I don't think that walking 15 minutes or less is in the spirit of the thread

But walk to the airport it was .... so technically it does count,
Old Mar 13, 2019, 7:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by EmailKid
While technically kid walked to the airport, I don't think that walking 15 minutes or less is in the spirit of the thread

But walk to the airport it was .... so technically it does count,
maybe, but it highlights the fact that if someone had asked for a quote for cost to get a Uber to Vail airport, they would not have got a price or something along the lines of don't go there.

But 200m away, is fine.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet Rewards
It was an easy 15 minute walk from ADZ in San Andres, Colombia to my hotel in the central part of town near the beach. On the way back to the airport my backpack was laden down with duty free booze so I took a taxi for 8 USD.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:21 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Last week, Mrs. Transportprof and I walked from TSA to the Sherwood Hotel in < 30 minutes. They had offered to provide a car transfer for 1250 NTD! 😲
Old May 19, 2019, 8:47 am
Suspended

ASM (Asmara) - airport is about 7km from the city center. I stayed at Asmara Palace hotel which was a very pleasant (and straightforward) 2.2km walk from the airport. Only downsides to walking (and public transport) are the departure times of most flights - my FlyDubai flight, leaving at 7:40am, was one of the better ones (the arrival, at about 7am, is pretty good for a walk FROM the airport however).
Old May 29, 2019, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titan
Unlike KEF, the large international airport 30kms outside of Reykjavik , RKV is a small, mainly domestic airport, an easy 30 minute walk over the hill from downtown. Walked there to pick up a rental car but had to resist the temptation to hop on the 11:50 to Nuuk.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 10:03 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

RNO (Reno, USA)- walked downtown in about 45 minutes (with a couple of pit stops along the way)
Old Jun 7, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
It didn't quote the above post regarding ADZ/San Andres Columbia:

Walked round-trip to the airport here too! Planes buzzed my hotel, it was pretty cool.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 5:47 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; BA GGL; Virgin Gold; United Silver; Hilton Dia; IHG Spire; Marriott Tit; Hertz PC
Recently walked to ULN from my local Nishek area accommodation for an early morning flight. It took around 25 minutes walking along the main roads.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.