Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Budget | Fastbreak (closed to posting)
Reload this Page >

Do I have recourse on this or am I missing something?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2011, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA (lame duck)1K, US Plat,HHonors Diamond, PC Plat, SPG Plat, MR Platinum

Here's confirmation on a Budget rental I made at BFS on our recent trip to Ireland.

When I arrived despite my pleas I was told I could not deny LDW coverages and the cost of my car rental went from the 164GBP to approx 441 GBP with the coverages. Rental agent said I was not allowed to deny the coverages and where we have limited experience with intl travel, had flown all night, after some debate I gave up and signed off on it.

Does it make any sense given terms below that I couldn't deny these coverages? Explained I had insurance coverage on my own policy but didn't have it with me, also have Amex Platinum which provides some backup coverage I do believe... Really didn't do a ton of research but never saw this coming and it doesn't seem correct given terms below. Can anyone say whether I was right/wrong whether I have recourse.. with the conversion to USD the rental cost close to $750.
I have no prob with the cross border fee and was ok with paying that as it warned me of that...

B,
YOUR RENTAL IS RESERVED.
send this information to my cell phone
Confirmation number XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Terms & conditions apply

Total confirmed rate GBP163.91
Thanks for renting at budget.com.
Have a pleasant trip!

pick-up
Mon, May 30, 2011 10:00 AM
BELFAST INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
ARRIVALS HALL
BELFAST, BT29 4AB GB
BFS
hours Sun - Sat 7:30 AM - 11:00 PM
phone 44-2894-423-332

return
Tue, Jun 7, 2011 10:00 AM
BELFAST INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
ARRIVALS HALL
BELFAST, BT29 4AB GB
BFS

car
intermediate 2- or 4-door
manual
not air conditioned
car class C
FORD FOCUS 1.6-4DR/5PSGR
or similar

options
equipment & services
Fuel Service Option

protections
none

driver preferences
smoke-free vehicle

offer code/number
Southwest BCD U072700

coupon none

personal information
John B
RapidRez Number xxxxx

Residency US

Fastbreak service is unavailable at this location

my confirmed rate
car
taxes and fees

car tax 10.00
taxes 27.32
options

rental total GBP163.91

rate rules
8 days 0 hour rental unlimited free miles rate code AZ 28 day maximum rental allowed

Terms and Conditions
These conditions will apply unless there are exceptions for your specific rental location. If location exceptions apply, those terms will appear at the end of this list.

Location Exceptions:

• Additional Driver Fee of GBP 7 per rental plus tax applies
.• Cross border traffic: Cars rented in England, Scotland and Wales must stay within England, Scotland and Wales. For Other Destinations: Renter MUST contact the location directly for authorization to travel to other destinations. Cars hired in Northern Ireland are allowed into Southern Ireland with a charge of 20 GBP per rental for additional insurance Coverage. For Other Destinations: Renter MUST contact the location directly for authorization to travel to other destinations. Cars rented on the Channel Islands: Cross border traffic is not allowed.
.• Credit Card Policy: A major credit card in the name of the primary driver must be produced at the time of rental. This location accepts Budget Charge Cards, American Express, Diners Club, Mastercard, Visa. The visa electron card is not accepted. 2 major credit cards are required for the car group H.
.• Coverage: Customers may be asked to leave a deposit to cover damage responsibility if collision damage waiver (CDW) is not taken. Damage responsibility for the United Kingdom is full value of the vehicle.. If CDW is accepted this will reduce the responsibility to the excess applicable at the renting location. Car groups A, B, C, D, E, J, K, F, N, and O have a damage excess of GBP 550.00. This can be reduced to GBP 100.00 for a fee of GBP 5.50 plus tax per day. Car groups G, H, I, L, M, have a damage excess of GBP 750.00. For car groups G, I, L and M, the excess can be reduced to GBP 250.00 for a fee of GBP 6.50 plus tax per day. There is no excess reduction available for car group H Car group P offers a CDW of GBP 750.00. The excess can be reduced to GBP 250.00 with a fee of GBP 5.50 per day plus tax. This does not apply to US and Canadian customers where coverage is supplied by the credit card issuer. US and Canadian renters where coverage is supplied by third party are subject to GBP 1000.00 deposit and stand liable for full value of any damage. Renters under 25 can not reduce the excess. Renters over 70 can no reduce the excess.
.• Driver's license: Full licenses additional GBP 5 per day. Rental drivers: Minimum driver age is 23 years. A Young Driver Surcharge of GBP 10 per day up to a maximum of GBP 50 per rental applies to renters aged 23 & 24. Maximum driver age is 75 years
Old Jun 18, 2011, 6:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
This has never happened to me to such a degree, but for what it's worth my company forces me to buy their insurance outside the US and Canada despite company credit card and insurance. It's hard to say whether you have recourse given the absurdly complicated terms, but you should try by calling US customer service. You seem to have a case based on your quote including tax and fees.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by keloutwest
It's hard to say whether you have recourse given the absurdly complicated terms
Yes, I love foreign locations that have 13 different types of nested coverages (CDW, CDW excess coverage, CDW excess excess coverage, CDW excess excess excess coverage, etc. ). In the U.S., it's much simpler: all or nothing. Buy CDW and your responsibility drops from FULL VALUE to NOTHING.

The T&C as posted do seem to stipulate that it is permissible to utilize third-party coverage (as long as you accept the higher security deposit and agree that you will pay for any damage and be reimbursed by your coverage provider). I would definitely file a complaint and be prepared to dispute this with your credit card issuer if Budget UK or Budget U.S. doesn't provide you with a fitting resolution.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.