Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

OT: [Old News] US Airways plane down in Hudson River, NY

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: [Old News] US Airways plane down in Hudson River, NY

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2009, 8:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Genius1
The plane landed with the tail slightly lower than the nose, as is correct in a ditching. This meant that much of the cabin remained above water. Because of this, the rear exit doors were not used in the evacuation (as is procedure), allowing people time to exit via the over-wing emergency exits and front doors before water seeped in through any vents or damaged rear/baggage door seals.
What an amazingly good Pilot.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 10:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold.
The Safety System requires acknowledgement

Picking up some vibes here that majority of posters believe the Captain to be the Hero. Whilst he may well be a hero, safe operation of aircraft is based on a lot more than one person and thought it worthwhile to put things back into perspective.

Firstly on board for there to be a safe ditching in the emergency they encountered there was a first officer performing a supporting role which we may never hear about. Then to get everyone out safely there were the trained cabin crew.

To take it a stage further US airways operations and maintenance deserve some recognition for their role and likewise Airbus for designing and manufacturing such an excellent aircraft in the first place.

With all these things and more in place we declare captains as heroes when it comes off and blame him when it doesn't.

So whilst it seems, at this very early stage, the capt deserves praise he is not the only one.

just a thought

regards

Aero_Safety
Old Jan 17, 2009, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Although the captain is getting all the praise, a number of sites in the US are also acknowledging how much the First Officer and cabin crew did. ^
Old Jan 17, 2009, 5:58 pm

Programs: BA Au; IHG Pl; Hyatt Au; IC RA; Marriott Pl
A320 and friend

Finally found a connection to bring the 'US Airways down in Hudson River, NY' thread on topic.

Take a look in the background of this image as the river ferries head to start rescuing passengers:

http://designlayers.cloudapp.net/Det...e4191cc&Page=0
Old Jan 17, 2009, 7:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond

Well they did say that she went down near the Intrepid...
Old Jan 18, 2009, 6:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Having now seen the photos of the aircraft removed from the river it should be emphasised that those who designed and built the A320 deserve thorough congratulations for building such a robust aeroplane.

Both this accident and the BA38 at LHR demonstrate the engineering standards of both Seattle and Tolouse which, as passengers, we should be extremely grateful for.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 2:05 pm

Can somebody tell me why the black box recorders are being stored in fresh water as reported on the news?
Old Jan 18, 2009, 2:30 pm

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
Originally Posted by koksy
Can somebody tell me why the black box recorders are being stored in fresh water as reported on the news?
No I can't! They should be waterproof, fire proof etc.

As I indicated, I did expect the possibility of engine detachment and one did come off. Nothing to worry about, all as planned. It has been located.

Mind you, I did see some pictures where I suspect the rear left door was open at some point. Anybody confirm this with footage they have seen? I am a bit out of the loop on it as I have had other stuff to deal with.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 2:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold.
Originally Posted by koksy
I think it prevents oxidation/corrosion of electronic components and contacts by keeping it free from contact with the air but could be wrong.

regards

Aero_Safety
Old Jan 18, 2009, 2:46 pm

Video of the ditch.

Amazing.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 3:20 pm

Your plane crashes

It's OK. The odds are you'll live. At least, according to this:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-a...ane-crash-myth
Old Jan 18, 2009, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by spotwelder
Mind you, I did see some pictures where I suspect the rear left door was open at some point. Anybody confirm this with footage they have seen? I am a bit out of the loop on it as I have had other stuff to deal with.
Hi spotty, i think i read somewhere that a woman passenger attempted to exit the aircraft by one of the rear doors but was prevented from doing so by the FA, although she managed to open the door a couple of inches before the FA could stop her.

Re the black boxes, I found this on howstuffworks.com:

"In the United States, when investigators locate a black box it is transported to the computer labs at the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB). Special care is taken in transporting these devices in order to avoid any (further) damage to the recording medium. In cases of water accidents, recorders are placed in a cooler of water to keep them from drying out."What they are trying to do is preserve the state of the recorder until they have it in a location where it can all be properly handled," Doran said. "By keeping the recorder in a bucket of water, usually it's a cooler, what they are doing is just keeping it in the same environment from which it was retrieved until it gets to a place where it can be adequately disassembled."

I too thought they were waterproof and airtight but maybe its a precaution in case there is unseen damage of the casing - presumably they wouldnt know if water had got in or not until it was taken apart.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
As a member of BA S/H Crew, who flies on the A320, having watched this from when it first came up as a News Flash, I can only say how immensely proud I am of our US Airways colleagues for again demonstrating that we are not just glorified waiters/waitresses...

Although I have been off recently, and not flown since this, it does make me wonder if pax will pay more attention for a few weeks to the safety demo video as they did after the BA038 happened... Only to forget it after about 3 weeks and return to their complimentary copy of The Times...
Old Jan 19, 2009, 1:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by ba273
It is not known how the plane came to land in the river, but the FAA said it might have been due to a bird strike.
Sounds like this has now been confirmed.

Although this doesn't say what kind of birds. Intial reports said geese. But when you think about it, it was clearly Cheney's last chance to blame everything on cheese-eating surrender monkeys.
After all, it wasn't any old kind of goose now, was it? It was a particular nationality of goose.
And what language do you think those geese spoke?
Old Jan 19, 2009, 2:18 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Just curious, how much further down the river is EWR? Have flown into there many times, I always thought it closer to Manhattan than it obviously is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.