Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

OT: [Old News] US Airways plane down in Hudson River, NY

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: [Old News] US Airways plane down in Hudson River, NY

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2009, 3:58 pm

Programs: Mucci Master of the Skies, Does anyone read any further than Mucci anyway? BAEC Blue
Documentary on Channel 4

Just got in and discovered that channel 4 are showing a documentary about this at the moment. Maybe I'm being cynical but it appears to be on a par with the journalistic style of the BA dispatches program of last year.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 4:15 pm

l haven't liked the reports throughout where they compare this with the hijacked Ethiopian Airlines B767. Totally different circumstances and set of problems
Old Feb 19, 2009, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Hmm... There are a few things in there that I am not overly happy with.
Not that me being unhappy with them means didlli squat...

I hate the way sometimes, when things are reported to over dramatize things... urgh...
Old Feb 19, 2009, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
I found the documentary to be very interesting, but obviously over-dramatised.

The guy travelling First Class who thought 'I'm not going to die today' made me chuckle for some reason.

Interesting that the 'Ditch' button wasn't pressed, but I understand they didn't have time.

It appears that the slide at 1L didn't deploy initially - didn't anyone pull the manual handle to release it?

I'm surprised the cabin crew didn't advise all passengers to take their lifejackets with them.

Just some observations.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by Genius1
The guy travelling First Class who thought 'I'm not going to die today' made me chuckle for some reason.
The over-dramatized bit that smacked me in the face like a wet kipper was the man sitting near the back who was separated from his father, when he text his wife... It cut to a picture of his daughter... then back to a quick shot of him with watery eyes looking all sullen and sad... Sheesh, hand me the kleenex someone...!

Interesting that the 'Ditch' button wasn't pressed, but I understand they didn't have time.
My first day on an Airbus, after learning of the ditching button, I was straight in that flight deck looking for it... Now I know!

I'm surprised the cabin crew didn't advise all passengers to take their lifejackets with them.
Yes, I find that strange too. Our command in a ditching on the A319 and A320... "Unfasten your seat belt. Grab your life jacket. Move to the center of the Aircraft"... Although I am a little confused about the whole life jacket/seat cushion arrangement on US carriers...
Old Feb 19, 2009, 5:00 pm

Yes, over-over dramatised...much like Dispatches on BA.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 5:14 pm

Programs: Mucci Master of the Skies, Does anyone read any further than Mucci anyway? BAEC Blue
Originally Posted by hammythehammer
Yes, over-over dramatised...much like Dispatches on BA.
I agree. It was completely over dramatised and made a mountain out of a mole hill.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 2:41 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

The constant "filler" of the stock USAir A320 footage and the "Terrain, pull up" had me shouting at the TV.

It was as though they had enough material for a 40 minute show, and then just repeated the same footage to fill the remaining 20 minutes.

The only 2 things I learned that I didn't know within 24 hours of the incident were that the "ditching" button wasn't pressed, and that the fuselage ruptured towards the rear of the plane.

Cheers,
Rick
Old Feb 20, 2009, 4:01 am

Programs: BA: Silver,
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
The constant "filler" of the stock USAir A320 footage and the "Terrain, pull up" had me shouting at the TV.

It was as though they had enough material for a 40 minute show, and then just repeated the same footage to fill the remaining 20 minutes.

Cheers,
Rick
And how many times did it hit the water? More bounces than Barnes Wallis would have been proud of...
Old Feb 20, 2009, 4:07 am

Programs: BA: Silver,
I

Yes. How odd is that? OK so I am not a pilot, but I would suggest that a deliberate 'ditch' would trigger hitting the ditch button - odd that they 'ran out of time'... Again, I would have thought that the 'Push the ditch button' would be quite high on the manual. Any pilots want to shed some light on this one?

By the way - many ^^ for getting the craft down and all pax out safely though! And as for the captain checking the cabin twice before departing ensuring that it was empty... ^^
Old Feb 20, 2009, 4:39 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by onaswan
Yes. How odd is that? OK so I am not a pilot, but I would suggest that a deliberate 'ditch' would trigger hitting the ditch button - odd that they 'ran out of time'... Again, I would have thought that the 'Push the ditch button' would be quite high on the manual. Any pilots want to shed some light on this one?
They explained that. The "Ditch" button was near the end of the checklist, so they just didn't get a chance to do it. There is probably a reason why it is at the end, so they wouldn't press it just for the sake of it.

Doing a checklist whilst gliding from 10,000 feet is a bit different that from 3200 feet

Cheers,
Rick
Old Mar 3, 2010, 3:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Still OT but Capt. Sully is in the process of retiring from US today.

currently flying the A321 between FLL-SFO

theres a thread running over on Airliners but here's a link to the atc from FLL:
http://archive-server.liveatc.net/kf...2010-1800Z.mp3

starting at time stamp 15:00.

^ Sully, brilliant guy, im sure we will see much more of him now!

even more OT, but his book is very much worth a read

CS
Old Mar 3, 2010, 5:30 pm

Programs: BA Silver / Bonyoy Platinum
Hope he had an event free final flight!

I see his salvaged A320 fuselage is up for auction if anyone is interested! Good garden ornament!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.