Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tesco and BA [2009 archive]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2009, 6:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Raffles
...If you don't get bonus points, stick with Ocado all the way. I ended up paying the delivery charge to get one carrier bag full of items.
I wholeheartedly agree that unless there is a stash of bonus points on offer, then Tesco delivery can be a hassle (orders often arriving incomplete, often arriving outside the 2 hour slot and, I know it's free, but they give you a Daily Mail to toss straight in the recyle bin).

If you can be bothered and care enough, I'd call Customer Services and you should get a refund of the delivery charge or something if your order was so incomplete.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by Aerotec
Just sold my 6 phones to a local shop for £10 each. Means I paid £45ish for my 4600 Tesco Points which transfers to 15000 BA Miles which ain't too bad.

Might have to go get some more!
I managed to sell my phones for £24 each on ebay, my total outlay including puchase/unlocking 3 phones, ebay/paypal fees was just under £80. So with the 750 pointer I got 2250 cc points or 7200 BA miles for under a tenner !
Old Aug 27, 2009, 7:26 am
uk1
Suspended

B*****y Tesco!

If you don't get bonus points, stick with Ocado all the way. I ended up paying the delivery charge to get one carrier bag full of items.
I have mixed feelings about your order. I owe a lot to you. The BMI cash-balance-transfer heist. The Marriott point debark. So when you call for sympathy it comes in oodles. It is my sworn duty.

But a few days ago, you received the most unbelievable number of Tesco points under the current regime. My take was that the new regime calls for personal attendance at the store rather than blokes dropping off stuff at your home you don't need for truck-loads of points. Store attendances seem to sometimes involve the Police and buying stuff you don't need to load into the back of your car to subsequently discover you get no points for. I can't do that. In fact the number I need if BA annouce the 50% reduction I'm hoping for on redemptions ....... is exactly what you banked last quarter. So many "ifs"!

mrs uk1 started to question my commitment to her 2011 trip to Oz in F. I was perplexed about your success and my failure. But I cannot do personal appearances at Tesco. It's better for them and me. I am a grumpy g*t.

I've only been shopping with Ocado, I pay them £9 a month and they deliver every day if I want them to for free. Everything is as I order. Everything is fresh. Everything I order is delivered. If the strawberries are mushy - I don't pay. It is old fashioned service.

Now you say you haven't got the Pampers or the Points. I know I should sympathise, but I have to own up. I'm happy with Ocado and I may now have to resort to buying flights.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Ah, you didn't read that post properly!

The huge mass of points I got last week was the RECREDIT of the Marriott points I got in August 2007. I never converted them (why bother until you need the miles?) and they were about to expire so I redeemed each £50 voucher for £2.50 of miles and got the other £47.50 recredited and the reissued, so I now have until August 2011 to use them.

I only got about 5,000 'proper' points last quarter and they were all from home deliveries apart from 1 wine gathering spree in the Metro near the office. Haven't been in a 'real' Tesco supermarket for well over a year!
Old Aug 27, 2009, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by smerch1468
I managed to sell my phones for £24 each on ebay, my total outlay including puchase/unlocking 3 phones, ebay/paypal fees was just under £80. So with the 750 pointer I got 2250 cc points or 7200 BA miles for under a tenner !
Tesco is really the only place i earn proper miles. I have two of these phones from an order earlier this week and would be interested in getting more if i can work out how to unlock them, as otherwise you dont get quite so good a return and when you factor in your time selling them on ebay then it isnt really worth it. I have had a look online and i can find the odd sites that advise ways of unlocking a 1208 but nothing clear with positive feedback. Unfourtunately i do not have any nearby local shops that i know who could do this for mr. Any ideas?? Perhaps someone here has unlocked it manually at home?
Old Aug 27, 2009, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by pazza2000
Tesco is really the only place i earn proper miles. I have two of these phones from an order earlier this week and would be interested in getting more if i can work out how to unlock them, as otherwise you dont get quite so good a return and when you factor in your time selling them on ebay then it isnt really worth it. I have had a look online and i can find the odd sites that advise ways of unlocking a 1208 but nothing clear with positive feedback. Unfourtunately i do not have any nearby local shops that i know who could do this for mr. Any ideas?? Perhaps someone here has unlocked it manually at home?
Have you tried yell.com, youd be surprised what is just round the corner. I drove past this mobile shop every day and didnt realise it existed !

They knew that they'd get repeat business from me so they reduced their price from £10 to £6 per phone, it will probably come down lower if I give them more phones to unlock. Very happy with the result on this only problem is tecos points seem very slow to go on at the mo!
Old Aug 27, 2009, 1:12 pm
uk1
Suspended

Ah, you didn't read that post properly!

The huge mass of points I got last week was the RECREDIT of the Marriott points I got in August 2007. I never converted them (why bother until you need the miles?) and they were about to expire so I redeemed each £50 voucher for £2.50 of miles and got the other £47.50 recredited and the reissued, so I now have until August 2011 to use them.

I only got about 5,000 'proper' points last quarter and they were all from home deliveries apart from 1 wine gathering spree in the Metro near the office. Haven't been in a 'real' Tesco supermarket for well over a year!
Thanks ... I feel a bit better now.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by smerch1468
Have you tried yell.com, youd be surprised what is just round the corner. I drove past this mobile shop every day and didnt realise it existed !

They knew that they'd get repeat business from me so they reduced their price from £10 to £6 per phone, it will probably come down lower if I give them more phones to unlock. Very happy with the result on this only problem is tecos points seem very slow to go on at the mo!
There is really nowhere around me, im out in the sticks but thanks for the remcommendation. Dont care if the points go on slow, as long as they eventually go on!! I dont keep track of them so cant really chase up un-posted miles.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 2:47 am

Programs: BA, IB, DC, Amex PP, Motel 6, Waffle House, Cracker Barrel
Originally Posted by uk1
In fact the number I need if BA annouce the 50% reduction I'm hoping for on redemptions
Sorry ? what's this about ? I seem to recall they had one last year - is the expectancy of similar in then forseeable future ?
Old Aug 28, 2009, 2:53 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by dewsburyborn
Sorry ? what's this about ? I seem to recall they had one last year - is the expectancy of similar in then forseeable future ?
It's an optimistic state of mind that stems from a sense of severe desperation.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 2:53 am

Programs: MUCCI - Order of the Diamond Hairbrush and Champion of Queens,BA Broon,HH Diamond,PC Plat,BA Amex
Hey there dewsburyborn, last Oct/Nov BA had a sale wherein they reduced the miles required for all redemption flights by 50%.

It was a cracking deal, on all routes and in all cabin classes, if there were seats available then they were half the normal number of miles !

I don't know if it will happen again anytime soon (or ever) -- it was a good way of BA generating some revenue by collecting in all of the money for taxes and charges, while at the same time filling seats that would otherwise have flown unsold.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 3:35 am

Programs: PC Amb., BA Blue
Originally Posted by Rickers
Hey there dewsburyborn, last Oct/Nov BA had a sale wherein they reduced the miles required for all redemption flights by 50%.

It was a cracking deal, on all routes and in all cabin classes, if there were seats available then they were half the normal number of miles !

I don't know if it will happen again anytime soon (or ever)
If Ba's reading this....please, please don't do it again until your systems can cope with the demand! Not that I'm complaining....two F seats, from the sale, to SIN & SYD have my name on it next week. I don't see any mention here of the kid's dvd's in groceries...200 points for bout £8 each? Adding in the 3rd part of a multi-shop extra point deal coupon thingie....got about 1900 points for £50's worth y'day.

I can't even peruse the dvd's in the entertainment section - it says it's changed all our login details there - does anyone know ... it's all about?
Old Aug 28, 2009, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by tristan727
I can't even peruse the dvd's in the entertainment section - it says it's changed all our login details there - does anyone know ... it's all about?
Tesco used a division of Woolworths to do all their entertainment orders. When Woolies went bust, they signed up a new distributor. You therefore need to sign up again for the entertainment bit of the site.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 4:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
...I never converted them (why bother until you need the miles?)...
One reason to convert tesco CC vouchers now rather than when you need the miles is to help BA. The sooner you convert, the sooner Tesco pay BA for the miles, helping our struggling airline's bottom line (albeit by a drop in the ocean!). My less altruistic reason is to be able to gloat over a bigger balance, even if it is a dodgy banana currency!
Old Aug 28, 2009, 5:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP
Originally Posted by philco
One reason to convert tesco CC vouchers now rather than when you need the miles is to help BA. The sooner you convert, the sooner Tesco pay BA for the miles, helping our struggling airline's bottom line (albeit by a drop in the ocean!). My less altruistic reason is to be able to gloat over a bigger balance, even if it is a dodgy banana currency!
I suspect there will be a chunk of people with hundreds of pounds worth of Tesco CC vouchers that they plan to convert to BA Miles.

Personally, I'd rather wait until I know I am almost ready to use the miles before converting some of the Clubcard vouchers. Whilst I sincerely hope that BA continues as a business in the long-term, there is no guarantee of that and if something did happen to the Company, any miles would be worthless.

I see no gain to me in converting to BA Miles too early but there is a significant potential downside to me doing that should the worst happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.