Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA FT Board - What to expect?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2008, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
BA FT Board - What to expect?

Hi there

I've been surfing the interweb thing and chanced upon this BA EC FT board.

My questions:

1. I don't have any status with any program. When might I expect my first upgrade?
2. I travel widely in Y class on many airlines. Why should I expect Y on BA to be any different?
3. My favorite airlines are British and Quantas. Will that get me an upgrade?

Thanks for listening.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Is this a joke?
Old Aug 25, 2008, 1:38 pm

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
1. My top tip would be to arrive at the airport early and wear a suit and tie. If you look smart, you might well get upgraded if the airline has overbooked the flight and by turning up early, you have shown yourself to be helpful to the airline. Do smile at the check in assistant and ask, politely, whether you could be upgraded

2. This is really not important if you follow the advice at 1.

3. There's no harm in mentioning this to the check in assistant too - it can only enhance your chances of an upgrade - but only with British and Quantas, of course.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by Genius1
Is this a joke?
It is
Old Aug 25, 2008, 1:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by virtualtroy
Learn how to spell QANTAS first
Old Aug 25, 2008, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Interesting questions. But most of all, well done to the OP for not asking what seat they should select. Then moaning when they're told they can't select a seat due to the seating policy anyway. Then threatening to sue BA for denying them the right to select a seat and further denying them any compensation for this fact after they e-mailed customer services. Via the wrong link. And since is this the last time they'll ever fly BA as a result, will their 777 have New Club World fitted for when they get their upgrade?
Old Aug 25, 2008, 1:47 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Hi there

1. I don't have any status with any program. When might I expect my first upgrade?
2. I travel widely in Y class on many airlines. Why should I expect Y on BA to be any different?
Don't you want to know what the best seat in Y on a 777 is?
Old Aug 25, 2008, 1:48 pm

Hi there

I've been surfing the interweb thing and chanced upon this BA EC FT board.

My questions:

Thanks for listening.

1. As noted above, a short and tie, will do the trick or failing that mention your birthday, anniversary, death of close relative, etc. Well, it worked for my Auntie Gertrude.

2. Sadly, they are all carp.

3. Definitely mention British at every opportunity. If you have a broad Texan drawl it'll sound even better.

Be sure to let us know how you get on.

J R Hartley
Old Aug 25, 2008, 1:51 pm

Another tip is that many airlines in the US give out more upgrades. You will probably improve your chances of an upgrade if the check in assistant thinks you are used to this sort of service, especially if there is a chance you might fly more often with British or Quantas. You might say something like: "my company usually makes us fly with Pan Am or TWA, but I'm trying to persuade them to shift their travel to British or Quantas. If you give me an upgrade, I'm sure it will help persuade them".

That should do the trick.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 1:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
My favorite airlines are British and Quantas. Will that get me an upgrade?
While praise is due for using British instead of Brit, you'll find it appreciated even more if you use the full name for the airline, it's British Air.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 1:58 pm

If all else fails, you could pretend to know people - mention you know Sir Michael Bishop personally and will have to report your experience to him next time you're round for tea.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA Silver, FI, AC
...I travel widely in Y class on many airlines. Why should I expect Y on BA to be any different?
Because you'll need to bring your own scorpion along when travelling with BA.

...My favorite airlines are British and Quantas. Will that get me an upgrade?
British? British Air? Please call the airline by its correct name: Brit Air. Thank you so much.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 2:07 pm

Finally, if even name dropping didn't work, then give the check in agent something to think about. Say: "I'll have you know I have flown with British in business class every week for the last three years between Heathrow and Belfast but now I'll seriously consider using Ryanair instead. Just think about that for a while.".
Old Aug 25, 2008, 2:21 pm

And even if it doesn't work on the ground, try it on board. As soon as you get on, ask to speak to the head stewardess. Don't be fobbed off - just wait in the doorway area until they get her for you. Then repeat all the top tips I have already suggested. She'll never know that you've already got a no at check in.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 2:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Is anyone playing squash with Willy Wash next weekend?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.