Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA introducing progressive fuel surcharges

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2008, 6:59 am

Programs: BA Blue. 19695 Lifetime TPs
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
I understood the point you were making ^.

Whilst I can and will afford J or F tickets, I am not happy at the continued devaluation of my BA Miles.

BA is behaving in a far from honest manner and I wait for the day where the surcharges exceed the base fare! At the current rate, it is only a matter of hours...........!

If they had any respect for themselves or us (ha!), this should finally mark the end of BA ever talking about "free" flights.

But I bet it isn't....
Old Jun 20, 2008, 7:08 am

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
Originally Posted by fraisse10
If they had any respect for themselves or us (ha!), this should finally mark the end of BA ever talking about "free" flights.

But I bet it isn't....
I'd imagine they'd be very careful not to talk about or even imply "free" flights, especially if the OFT and ASA were watching ...

A quick glance at the BAEC site only mentions "reward" flights. I'll agree that "free" is still an expectation amongst many average EC members and some nasty surprises when they see the "extras"
Old Jun 21, 2008, 7:25 am

Programs: BA, DC, IC
British Airways adds 'rich tax' to first and business class seats

Hi All, sorry if this has been mentioned before but taken from todays Daily Mail.

British Airways is to hammer its first and business class passengers with an extra 'rich tax' on flights.
The air carrier has introduced a raft of fuel surcharge increases that will add as much as 48 to a return long-haul flight - an increase of 22 per cent.
The details of the price changes were revealed in a leaked memo to travel agents which apply from today.
BA say the increases are aimed at reflecting the extra space occupied by passengers in premium cabins.
They will not apply to travellers in economy class.
It has led to accusations that it has tried to slip a 'rich tax' in through the back door - a move which may backfire as customers learn of the rise.
Analysts warn that the soaring price of crude oil could send the bill spiralling even higher in time for the summer holiday peak.
BA is following the lead taken by Virgin Atlantic to vary charges based on class of travel.
The hike come less than one month after BA increased fuel surcharges across the board by an extra 60.
The latest increase will see passengers flying on the longest routes in British Airways Club World and First seeing a return flight jumping from 218 to 266 alone.
This means a family of four travelling to Florida in first class would be hit with a bill of 1064 in fuel surcharges and those travelling to Egypt would pay 784
In a statement British Airways said: 'Following a further review in response to continuing rising oil prices, British Airways will restructure its fuel surcharge for tickets sold in its First, Club World, World Traveller Plus and Club Europe cabins.
'The fuel surcharge will differ by cabin to reflect some of the additional costs per passenger associated with carrying customers in premium cabins.'
A spokesman added: 'We have communicated very comprehensively with our customers about these changes.'
The rises are the 15th in four years and could be followed by other service airlines.
Most have increased their fuel surcharges including Virgin, KLM, and Air France.
BAs fuel bill topped 2.1billion last year and is set to reach 3billion this year. It uses six million tonnes of jet fuel annually and every $1 rise in oil costs it 16million.[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Old Jun 21, 2008, 7:30 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by mycity68
BA is following the lead taken by Virgin Atlantic to vary charges based on class of travel.
So BA follows the lead of VS and still the Mail takes a bit of a swipe, albeit not as unpleasant as they often are.

Why didn't they first report this when VS took their action.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 7:59 am

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
well the price of the current J sale fares are still the same, so presumably they've just reduced the base fares to take account of the surcharge increase.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 8:53 am

Programs: No longer bothered chasing FF status.
A spokesman added: 'We have communicated very comprehensively with our customers about these changes................
Ehhhh, not to me they didn't
Old Jun 21, 2008, 8:54 am

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
I personally don't see the problem. F and J seats are, after all, much heavier and larger, so presumably require more fuel to transport compared to economy class passengers. Additionally, premium pax receive a larger gratis baggage allowance. If these fuel surchargers truly are in response to increased costs fuel (and the cost of fuel is not a smoke screen to increase prices without appearing to be doing so), they I think it's justified.

That said, I personally find all the fuel surcharges total bogus. It's getting to the point where if one books an economy class ticket with enough advance purchase, the taxes and fees may in some cases surpass the actual fare. I say increase base prices; it makes no difference in the end, after all, for our wallets and credit cards how the fare is structured.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 8:56 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Premier, EK IO, Amex Centurion, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, IC Ambassador
Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer
I personally don't see the problem. F and J seats are, after all, much heavier and larger, so presumably require more fuel to transport compared to economy class passengers. Additionally, premium pax receive a larger gratis baggage allowance. If these fuel surchargers truly are in response to increased costs fuel (and the cost of fuel is not a smoke screen to increase prices without appearing to be doing so), they I think it's justified.
Hear, hear SchmeckFlyer. Typical Daily Mail sensationalism!! Utter nonsense.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
I can see the logic behind applying the extra costs to the First and Club World cabins, as the difference in space is remarkable.

But for Club Europe and World Traveller Plus? Especially in Club Europe, the pitch is not that far away from longhaul economy on some carriers.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 9:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer
...... I say increase base prices; it makes no difference in the end, after all, for our wallets and credit cards how the fare is structured.
Until it comes to mileage redemption time...
Old Jun 21, 2008, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You guys are joking, right?? Yeah, you get more room and baggage capacity and are ALREADY paying anywhere from 4 and 20 times what those are paying in the back of the bus - and higher taxes et al. Let BA absorb a couple of extra GBP, especially as each and every one of their surcharches ALREADY is far in excess of their increases in costs.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 11:28 am

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
Hi All, sorry if this has been mentioned before but taken from todays Daily Mail.
Discussed here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=835966

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.