Wiki Posts
Search

BA is my favourite airline

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2008, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
BA is my favourite airline

Flying from HKG through LHR in F at the end of February BA were absolutely brilliant.

I was travelling with my partner and I was taken ill about 5 hours out from LHR. The BA staff reacted promptly and efficiently. They quickly rigged up oxygen, a saline drip and found an excellent Consultant Nurse from somewhere down the back. I was very pleasantly surprised by the amount of medical equipment available on board.

The Captain considered setting down somewhere before LHR but medical advice from the ground, combined with the experience of the medical help they had found me, suggested that LHR would be my best bet.

On arrival at LHR they initially announced that all other passengers would have to wait until I was taken off first. However, thankfully for the other passengers, they quickly reversed this decision when they realised it would take some time to get a lift to the door to take me off. (I think I had probably disturbed the, almost full, First class cabin enough already!) A significant number of flight crew, the Captain and ground staff remained on the aircraft with me until I was finally taken off.

The ground staff were equally helpful and efficient. Our bag tags and passports were taken and we were free to proceed to hospital without further delay. Our passports were available for collection at the airport a few days later and they had been well looked after.

I spent two weeks seriously ill in hospital and a further two weeks recovering outside before being allowed to fly onwards. Prompt action on board had possibly saved my life.

The only sour note was that they mislaid our luggage - apparently it travelled on without us and took about a week to trace and get back but they have promised compensation for urgent requirements and on the overall scale of things, this minor inconvenience was trivial.

Im very glad I was flying BA and problems with T5, Gate Gourmet etc. will not deter me from flying with them in the future. Thank you BA.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 9:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
polemi - I most sincerely hope you are fully recovered now. It must have been a very frightening experience for you to be so ill on such a long flight and I'm glad the crew were able to do all they could to help in such a way.

It's always nice to hear something positive about my colleagues at BA - whether they be on the ground or in the air and I firmly believe that, despite the current problems, for many people this is one of the reasons they stick with us - our generally excellent and caring staff.

I am sorry to hear about your bags and hope this has not distressed you too much. I really hope "bags" will become an issue we can greaty improve on.

Once again, my very best wishes to you and all the best for any recovery you may still be making. We look forward to seeing you again soon - this time on a flight on which you can relax
Old Apr 1, 2008, 9:46 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by polemi
Flying from HKG through LHR in F at the end of February BA were absolutely brilliant.

I was travelling with my partner and I was taken ill about 5 hours out from LHR. The BA staff reacted promptly and efficiently. They quickly rigged up oxygen, a saline drip and found an excellent Consultant Nurse from somewhere down the back. I was very pleasantly surprised by the amount of medical equipment available on board.

The Captain considered setting down somewhere before LHR but medical advice from the ground, combined with the experience of the medical help they had found me, suggested that LHR would be my best bet.

On arrival at LHR they initially announced that all other passengers would have to wait until I was taken off first. However, thankfully for the other passengers, they quickly reversed this decision when they realised it would take some time to get a lift to the door to take me off. (I think I had probably disturbed the, almost full, First class cabin enough already!) A significant number of flight crew, the Captain and ground staff remained on the aircraft with me until I was finally taken off.

The ground staff were equally helpful and efficient. Our bag tags and passports were taken and we were free to proceed to hospital without further delay. Our passports were available for collection at the airport a few days later and they had been well looked after.

I spent two weeks seriously ill in hospital and a further two weeks recovering outside before being allowed to fly onwards. Prompt action on board had possibly saved my life.

The only sour note was that they mislaid our luggage - apparently it travelled on without us and took about a week to trace and get back but they have promised compensation for urgent requirements and on the overall scale of things, this minor inconvenience was trivial.

Im very glad I was flying BA and problems with T5, Gate Gourmet etc. will not deter me from flying with them in the future. Thank you BA.
Having been what my name suggests for many years:

This is very typical of BA in these situations. I have transported many sick patients all over the world. When things go wrong like this there is no airline in the world better than BA for getting things sorted with a large amount of practical common sense. They trully are one of the worlds greatest airlines for medical situations - and this is as much a testament to the fine cabin crews as anything else.

On another note it is nice to hear something positive about BA for a change.........

FD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.