Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

[17 Jan 2008] BA38 lands short of the runway

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[17 Jan 2008] BA38 lands short of the runway

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2008, 7:05 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Dr Dave
I have just heard an interview with a passenger from the flight. They were not told that there was any problem at all prior to landing - the first they knew of any problems was when the plane came to a stop and the chutes were deployed. To me it doesn't sound like an emergency landing with gear problems, but rather a normal landing that went wrong when they came down short of the piano keys, causing the gear to fail.
I heard the same interview and thought it was bizarre passengers did not receive any warning.

Clearly from eye witness reports the approach was certainly not standard.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another pax stating that he had not noticed anything wrong and merely felt that it was a pretty rough landing but no more. Seems to suggest a rather skillful landing given the circumstances.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 7:06 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by irmster
I think an extra night at the very nice Marriott Royal may be in order!
Or the HEL Hilton. Easier to get outgoing flights compared to Moscow.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 7:08 am

Programs: # Neodymium #
Yeah, conflicting stories - but pointing towards some kind of landing gear/hydraulic failure, and top effort to the pilots and crew for handling it so well. Could have been far more catastrophic..
Old Jan 17, 2008, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by ba bob
Pretty sure the a/c landed short to hit the grass rather then the tarmac- hence saving the runway from damage, and closure for ages. Prob a safer place for the a/c .

Only a certifably insane maniac would do such a thing!
Old Jan 17, 2008, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mosburger
Or the HEL Hilton. Easier to get outgoing flights compared to Moscow.

It's 1710 here, won't get out until 1800, that means 2000 at DME or SVO, can't see any outgoing flights to anywhere useful at that hour. Ho hum.

The 874/875 is officially cancelled.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 7:10 am

Programs: GGL/GFL
Originally Posted by Smirnoff
Need to know whether to head out to DME soon for my 875 home.
The arrivals board on http://www.heathrowairport.com/ is currently showing BA 875 from Moscow as cancelled
Old Jan 17, 2008, 7:11 am

Programs: BA Gold
Thank God that it was a crash landing and not what it could have been!
Old Jan 17, 2008, 7:11 am

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
Originally Posted by Smirnoff
It's 1710 here, won't get out until 1800, that means 2000 at DME or SVO, can't see any outgoing flights to anywhere useful at that hour. Ho hum.

The 874/875 is officially cancelled.
Nightflight will be open soon. I'm sure you could find someone in there to discuss the merits of BA's Moscow service
Old Jan 17, 2008, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by Panic Stations
Only a certifably insane maniac would do such a thing!
Why? I'm sure there must be a reason for your comment. Would you care to elucidate and educate the rest of us?

Ta.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 7:12 am

I can't imagine the pilots putting BAA's convenience above their (and their passengers') safety...
Old Jan 17, 2008, 7:14 am

Programs: BA*S, CX_G, Marriott Reward Platinum, Hilton Gold
From the BAA website about 15 mins ago...

13:00 BA038 BEIJING LANDED 1242 Terminal four

Well I suppose it did......
Old Jan 17, 2008, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routires, PCR
I found out from the BBC website, which includes a longish report from News 24, and came to FT.

Great that things have turned out well for pax and crew. What impact on BA ops? Let's go to ba.com to find out. Er, their entire news is this:

Incident at London Heathrow

Summary

A British Airways Boeing 777 operating as flight BA038 from Beijing to Heathrow has been involved in an incident at Heathrow today.

More information
Customers are advised to check the status of their flight before they leave for the airport. To access our real time flight arrival and departure information please click here.

We will release further information as soon as it is available.

Thank heavens for FT and the BBC. My colleague's MEX tomorrow is estimated on time, at least.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by robertkg
Why? I'm sure there must be a reason for your comment. Would you care to elucidate and educate the rest of us?

Ta.
As Panic Stations is cockpit crew, I'd suspect professional judgement comes into it.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 7:16 am

Here we go again, it's almost like taking a gamble flying BA. Either you're stuck in LHR for a few days or you're risking your life. I can't see how this "incident" is going to help their already struggling stock price, which has lost half of its value in less than a year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.