Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

[17 Jan 2008] BA38 lands short of the runway

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[17 Jan 2008] BA38 lands short of the runway

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2008, 8:35 am
TMC

Programs: United 1K, BA Silver, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by TMC
According to BBC - Tug driver apparently debriefed the Captain, who reported all power lost and aircraft was a glider.
So pax didn't notice the silent engines and other witnesses described excess engine noise ....

Programs: AEROPLAN
another GIMLI?

Programs: BA Silver AA Lifetime Gold
BBC News 24 reports a tow truck driver who claims to have spoken to the Captain said the plane had no power and glided in.

Spike
Old Jan 17, 2008, 8:37 am

Well done. All the pax seem very complementary of the cabin crew. Such a good job all round.

Originally Posted by Mofomat
I don't know whether you've seen the pictures or footage but this aircraft has flown it's last flight.
Shouldn't be too bad - new 777 are arriving this year and with secured delivery positions on 10 more. I'm sure Boeing will help them out after a significant 777 failure. Failing that, there's Astreaus...

BBC Five Live seems to has the most coherent coverage while News 24 is interviewing a taxi driver (who are always very knowledgeable) saying he "could have lent out the window and touched it". Still, Sky were first to have the word terrorist in the ticker.
jhm

There was a recent incident involving a QF plane which lost all electrical power ?
Suspended

Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict
Surely it's an insurance issue - how much is the aircraft worth vs how much is to repair it
Yes, if the aircraft is repairable.

BA are the people to have around you and in charge when push comes to shove
God Bless You and thank you for those kind words!

Exactly what Bealine has always advocated when Flyertalkers complain about how rigidly we stick to the rules! You can guarantee when something happens, every man jack of us will follow the laid down procedures!

May I echo Willie Walsh's sentiments and say how proud I am of the pilots and cabin crew for managing to get the aeroplane down without injury or damage to local residents and property, and for a safe ditching and evacuation of the passengers. (I know it's not pleasant for the six who are at Hillingdon Hospital having their injuries dealt with, but they are, at least, alive to tell the tale! May they recover swiftly!)

Whilst I am very sad at seeing a beautiful aeroplane lying impotently with its slides deployed, I am at the same time proud to work alongside such fine ladies and gentlemen!

Bealine salutes you!
Old Jan 17, 2008, 8:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Boddingtons
Willie's on Sky now
I love his Irish accent.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 8:39 am

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by Funky Spike
BBC News 24 reports a tow truck driver who claims to have spoken to the Captain said the plane had no power and glided in.
If that really is the case then this has been a miraculous escape.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 8:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by Basset
IF there was a known problem with the gear why didn't they foam the intended landing area ?

(Ignorant question alert)
I would guess that even if they had wanted to, they wouldn't have had time to do this. You also wouldn't have wanted fire engines on or close to the runway with a disabled and potentially out of control aircraft with no ability to go around coming in either - so I would doubt they would have wanted to!
Old Jan 17, 2008, 8:40 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by TMC
So pax didn't notice the silent engines and other witnesses described excess engine noise ....
It sounds the most feasible theory so far. If they lost power shortly before touchdown, then perhaps the pax wouldn't notice.

I'm suprised no eye witnesses have reported flames shooting from the engines yet. On virtually every other crash they do.

Cheers,
Rick
Old Jan 17, 2008, 8:42 am

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by SunGoddess
Here we go again, it's almost like taking a gamble flying BA. Either you're stuck in LHR for a few days or you're risking your life. I can't see how this "incident" is going to help their already struggling stock price, which has lost half of its value in less than a year.
Sat in the QF F Lounge in BKK waiting for the BA10. No delays announced. Not really expecting there to be.

Kudos to the crew for getting the flight down and everyone off with out major incident.

As for the comment above, what an idiot.

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by WHBM

The aircraft looks a toss-up for whether it will be worth repairing. The Qantas 747 which went off the runway at Bangkok was worse, and that was fixed up. The engines (40% of the aircraft value) are done for, but that is what spare engines are for.
Rumour is that QF only did that to keep their "Never Lost a Jet" safety record. It cost them more to fix than the plane was worth.

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI
Originally Posted by rtwdone4
According to BBC the captain said:
"all power and avionics is lost and they had to glide for approach!"
That would actually make it all make sense. The taxi driver who said the plane nearly hit his roof on approach, the fact the he was so far off the runway, etc.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 8:46 am

Programs: A3 *Silver, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Basset
IF there was a known problem with the gear why didn't they foam the intended landing area ?

(Ignorant question alert)
I have a feeling that, whilst this was once procedure, they no longer do this - though I can't recall why this was changed. I don't remember them doing it at LHR for the VS A340 and Fokker 50 that landed with partially deployed gear... (and advance warning...)

m.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.