Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BAA Strike action ??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2007, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by jimbosmith300
BA are still claiming that they expect the strikes not to happen.... which is useless to us who are traveling on the potential dates and need to reorganize whole holidays :@
I am hating this whole situation, I am due to travel to Rome from LHR on the 14th, returning on the 17th, and this really could not have been any worse for me! I am playing it by ear at the moment, and I am fairly sure my insurance would cover me for anything that goes horrendously wrong, but the way I see it is that I'll see how the strike goes on the 7th, and if LHR really IS closed (which would be pretty shocking, to be honest, and quite a damning indictment of the UK) then I'll cancel it all.

I would prefer just a bit more info, perhaps an official line from BAA on what they recommend. They currently 'ask for our patience and understanding', which is a nice platitude, but not very helpful.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but does anyone know what precisely the BA protocol would be if my flights are cancelled due to the strikes? I think I read in the T&C that they refund, but I would like this to be a certainty.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 5:48 am

I wish BA would understand that if you are just going for a short break somewhere and have to be back on the day that your originally booked on you cant just keep waiting for them to finally give in to make arrangements !
Old Dec 26, 2007, 5:57 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by jimbosmith300
I wish BA would understand that if you are just going for a short break somewhere and have to be back on the day that your originally booked on you cant just keep waiting for them to finally give in to make arrangements !
Do you mean what are BA going to do on the day of the strikes? Or are you asking if you can change your ticket? If the former, please understand that this is the BAA going on strike, not BA. As such we're at their mercy. It's for BAA to tell us what they will or won't allow to operate. If the airport fire service joins the strike there will be no service by any airline. We're just as much in the dark as you.

If your query is about changing your ticket, then I'm sure that info will be published very soon, probably on ba.com, once more information is made available.

I understand negotiations are continuing so let's all (passengers and staff alike) pray that the strike can be averted.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
I understand negotiations are continuing so let's all (passengers and staff alike) pray that the strike can be averted.
Indeed. from what I've read and heard the cause of the strike does not sound unresolvable in the time left.

Still, the prudent traveller will ensure they have a Plan B up their sleeve (in my case hotel accomodation and an assumption that BD will allow free changes, and failing that a refundable Y ticket on standby).
Old Dec 26, 2007, 9:47 pm

I am flying into Heathrow from Hong Kong on the 10th, then connecting to Newcastle on the same morning. I've had to pay for my ticket half a year ago, and it's non-refundable. Since it's a through return ticket, if I forfeit my London/Newcastle leg this time round, I wouldn't be able to fly Newcastle-->London-->HK on the same ticket...

Any advice on back up plans? (Or at all?)

Last edited by perilune; Dec 27, 2007 at 1:10 am
Old Dec 26, 2007, 11:54 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Hopefully good news, the reports this morning are that BAA are ready to have talks with unions, possibly starting as early as today.

EDITED TO ADD:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...irlineindustry
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7160901.stm
http://ukpress.google.com/article/AL...lgAx3uW6KmdK0Q

- However you shouldn't take that to mean it's over, not by a long shot!

Last edited by David-A; Dec 27, 2007 at 12:06 am
Old Dec 27, 2007, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by perilune
I am flying into Heathrow from Hong Kong on the 10th, then connecting to Newcastle on the same morning. I've had to pay for my ticket half a year ago, and it's non-refundable. Since it's a through return ticket, if I forfeit my London/Newcastle leg this time round, I wouldn't be able to fly Newcastle-->London-->HK on the same ticket...

Any advice on back up plans? (Or at all?)
Hmm, from what I understand, you will be OK as the strikes are 7th, 14th and 17th - 18th. I am fairly sure you will be unaffected, and may merely have to deal with surly staff who are just back from strike action!

'The planned four days of strike action on January 7, 14, 17 and 18 will shut down seven of Britain's largest airports, including Stansted, Gatwick and Edinburgh.'
Old Dec 27, 2007, 2:10 am

I hope so, but I'm dreading the potential backlog of passengers that might have to filter through from the 7th (some are saying that it'll take weeks). Hopefully given that there will be 3 days between my flight and the strike it'll be better, but I worry too easily about (potential) travel problems anyway!
Old Dec 27, 2007, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by perilune
I hope so, but I'm dreading the potential backlog of passengers that might have to filter through from the 7th (some are saying that it'll take weeks). Hopefully given that there will be 3 days between my flight and the strike it'll be better, but I worry too easily about (potential) travel problems anyway!

Haha, me too, but I never expected to have my exact holiday dates pinpointed as strike days! It's really annoying, but I don't want to think about it too much. I just dread having to sort it all out if it all goes pear-shaped.
I would think you would be fine, though, as long as you get in early and come prepared for perhaps a bit of a rugby scrum.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 12:29 pm

Programs: Mucci (Chevalier de Sagesse), Betty Ford Alumnus, BA Gold, ScaryTeam Elite+
Ticker on BBC News 24 says "talks have broken down". Nothing on the websites yet.

My trip to RAK on 7th looking ever iffier...
Old Dec 27, 2007, 2:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AF Gold
I am booked on BOD-LGW-TRN for 7 January.

Does anyone know if it is even conceivable that BA might interline me on AF BOD-CDG-TRN in the event that the BAA strike goes ahead (as seems likely)?

Otherwise, what will be the likely commercial policy in the event of LGW being closed on 7 January? Full refund if I decide to cancel and re-book with another airline (even though my BA ticket is "non-ref")?
Old Dec 27, 2007, 2:12 pm

Programs: No longer Diamond and missing the good old days of CX
Originally Posted by majoreyeswater
Ticker on BBC News 24 says "talks have broken down". Nothing on the websites yet.
Found it:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7160901.stm

Uh, I'm due to arrive LHR at 0620 on 7 January.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 6:37 pm

This seems to be the best place ive found for info on this situation so i just registered to stay in touch with it. Sorry for crashing the party

Due to fly NCL-LHR-Kaula Lumpur-Denpasar on 7th Jan on our honeymoon
Old Dec 27, 2007, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by carrliadiere
Haha, me too, but I never expected to have my exact holiday dates pinpointed as strike days! It's really annoying, but I don't want to think about it too much. I just dread having to sort it all out if it all goes pear-shaped.
I would think you would be fine, though, as long as you get in early and come prepared for perhaps a bit of a rugby scrum.
I wish you the best of luck!

I can't come too early because it's a connecting flight after my long-haul (which I had left 2+ hours for but it looks like I might not make it if the strike continues and there's back log...). Hopefully all of this will be resolved soon. I'm sure the union leaders are just flexing their muscles to BAA to show their strength, it would be in no one's interest for the strike to actually happen.

I think I will relish the chance to scrum, it would at least stop me from snapping and killing everybody on site!
Old Dec 27, 2007, 10:29 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by connery73
This seems to be the best place ive found for info on this situation so i just registered to stay in touch with it. Sorry for crashing the party

Due to fly NCL-LHR-Kaula Lumpur-Denpasar on 7th Jan on our honeymoon
Welcome to Flyertalk, connery73.

Whatever transpires, you're in good company here and yes, any news will make its way here without any delay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.