Old Nov 23, 2007, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA PREMIER, VS UNIQ
Angry BAA Strike action ??

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7109535.stm

Looking gloomy
Old Nov 23, 2007, 7:57 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Why could they strike for a final-salary scheme? Everyone knows that this is not a safe pension and a practice that has rightly been stopped years ago in most companies.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 8:17 am

Programs: AA, BA, NH, TP
If this strike does happen what will BA's commercial policy be? Its not their fault in this occasion.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 8:27 am

Makes me so mad
It's one thing to change the goal posts on people who are already in a scheme but it's another thing to strike because something once available to others is not available to you. That should be illegal.

Where will they stop? My gym (I'm on an old contract gives me a towel for free), if new members join they have to pay for one. Perhaps they should strike too!
Old Nov 23, 2007, 8:35 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Witch
It's one thing to change the goal posts on people who are already in a scheme but it's another thing to strike because something once available to others is not available to you.
It's even worse - strike on behalf of people who haven't even joined the company

And indeed, final value salary schemes have been abolished (or at least closed for new entrants) by just about every company in the country.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 8:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
I suspect these dates are wild speculation and they could strike almost any time after the ballot has taken place. However, looking on the bright side...
A strike could see BAA airports closed from 27 December, leading to chaos during the New Year travel period.

I am due to fly to Brazil on December 26th. Looks like I could be stranded there for months. ^
Old Nov 23, 2007, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Makes me so mad
It's one thing to change the goal posts on people who are already in a scheme but it's another thing to strike because something once available to others is not available to you. That should be illegal.
Without getting into the discussion of the merit of that particular strike, it is quite properly the role of a trade union to defend the terms of employment of present and future employees.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 9:42 am

At least they knew better than to include Christmas as well. If that happened, then we'd be hunting BAA workers with dogs.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 9:43 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Originally Posted by LeisureFirst
I am due to fly to Brazil on December 26th. Looks like I could be stranded there for months. ^
yep, could be worse, I am off to PHL on the 26th and I could be stuck there for months
Old Nov 23, 2007, 9:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Might be being cynical, but if there is a holiday isn't there always a threat of strike action?

If the strike action happens, then lots of airmiles get given away, which is good for those that are affected, although it makes redemptions more difficult for a while for everyone.

Also on the good side, BAA gets more bad publicity which will mean that its virtual monopoly will be even more likely to be removed.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by NickB
Without getting into the discussion of the merit of that particular strike, it is quite properly the role of a trade union to defend the terms of employment of present and future employees.
But where do you draw the line? A potential future employee has the ability to review the terms and conditions of employment and perks (?) of a job before you sign the contract. You don't like what you see... you job hunt elsewhere.... you can't find what you want anywhere.... perhaps it's time to re-set your expectations.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 10:29 am

Programs: BAEC Blue
Exactly - it wouldn't be BA's fault - and we will do all we can to re-accomodate pax, however I can imagine there would be thousands of claims under EU REGS for canx flights (which of course would be rejected due to the nature of the cancellation) but you can bet BA would get negative press coverage - eg MASS CANCELLATIONS AT BA CAUSES HAVOC, etc etc....
Old Nov 23, 2007, 10:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by DocH
Might be being cynical, but if there is a holiday isn't there always a threat of strike action?
If I am going to Brazil there is always a threat of strike action.
At least this time I'm not also trying to co-ordinate with a boyfriend on a different PNR (actually on two different PNRs) flying in from MAD first.

Last time I got a bunch of extra miles and TPs ^. But frankly, I would have rather not had the stress, which was very considerable for the reasons above, particularly as bf had gone to great lengths to make arrangements for the smooth running of his business while he was away. As always with these things, it is extremely stressful and worrying for some travellers, almost a matter of indifference and simple re-scheduling for others, with a great number somewhere in between.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 10:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, Hilton Gold
strike and re route?

My question is the same as above. I'm scheduled to go FCO LHR PHX Dec 20 and back 3 Jan (possibly within strike dates?). Does BA normally re route/re ticket automatically? Or will I not know if I'm going home for Christmas until I get to the airport?

Dave
Old Nov 23, 2007, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But where do you draw the line? A potential future employee has the ability to review the terms and conditions of employment and perks (?) of a job before you sign the contract. You don't like what you see... you job hunt elsewhere.... you can't find what you want anywhere.... perhaps it's time to re-set your expectations.
I am not clear that there is a line to be drawn.
The very basis of the right to strike (or any other form of collective labour action for that matter) is that freedom of contract does not reflect the imbalance in bargaining power between employee and employer. We could, of course, take the line that you suggest, consider that freedom of contract is all we need. In fact, that is exactly what we had in the 19th century when collective labout action was regarded as an unlawful restraint of trade. While unions can sometimes be irritating and do not always act responsibly (but then neither do employers), I am not sure that a return to the 19th century would constitute a desirable solution.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.