Wiki Posts
Search

First strike dates - 29th-31st of Jan

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2007, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by doreenmc
Hello all ... some queries from a newbie ... I fly out to MEX tomorrow, Club World, due to fly back on 31 Jan at 20.40 ... I presume the plane won't actually get to MEX facilitating a later departure (say 0.30 am on 1st Feb). Think it is a restricted ticket (it was cheap! - booked TFS-LGW-MEX) ... now I don't mind an extra day in MEX but I presume there is no compensation .. My return leg LGW-TFS is on the 6th Feb
Welcome to FT!

Compensation is an interesting question. I guess there would be compensation, as a strike by cabin staff is directly influenced by the airline, as opposed to a strike by e.g. air traffic control.

Presumably it also depends on local law of where you purchased your ticket ? In your case Spain ??
Old Jan 21, 2007, 12:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by doreenmc
Hello all ... some queries from a newbie ... I fly out to MEX tomorrow, Club World, due to fly back on 31 Jan at 20.40 ... I presume the plane won't actually get to MEX facilitating a later departure (say 0.30 am on 1st Feb). Think it is a restricted ticket (it was cheap! - booked TFS-LGW-MEX) ... now I don't mind an extra day in MEX but I presume there is no compensation .. My return leg LGW-TFS is on the 6th Feb
not sure about BA - but your travel insurance may cover you, since you booked before the dates were known, so I'd check it before you go to see what your cover is.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Raffles
It's likely that the strike will be called off ... BA will make some concessions at the last minute in order to restart talks once it works out how much the strike will cost.
I had pondered this too - but it's just too much like wishful thinking. It hasn't seemed to be the case with other transport union-led disgraces such as the Tube Drivers strike
Old Jan 21, 2007, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Originally Posted by Roger
WW just said on BBC Radio Five Live that BA were working on contingency planes which would be announced ... early next week.

The rebooking number for those due to fly in the affected period is 0800 727 800.
Great tip: having just called the US again and being told there was no commercial policy yet, 800 727 800 immediately said that they could rebook me before or after the strike. I asked about another carrier the same day, and was told that there was no provision for this (yet), but I could try the airport ticket desk which may have more flexibility.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
It rather looks like hardball doesn't it?
Having just listened to WW on Radio 5's "Weekend Business" it would appear so.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 12:45 pm

How long is a piece of string?

Should we regard the first strike as inevitable?

Should we then think that it's likely that an agreement will be reached before the second proposed strike dates?

Or should we all just panic?

I'm off to have a sit down and a bit of a cry.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by knifeandfork
Should we regard the first strike as inevitable?

Should we then think that it's likely that an agreement will be reached before the second proposed strike dates?

Or should we all just panic?

I'm off to have a sit down and a bit of a cry.
Hi,

I'm going to panic myself!!!!

Seriously, with my travel plan back from BUD on the 29th ( and working the next day) I have until Thursday evening to decide what to do ( when I fly to LHR then BUD the next morning). I wolud rather not be stuck overseas if there was a strike on so if the option is to allow the cancellation of tickets with a refund I will take it.

I guess at the moment it is a case to wait and see and see what the commercial policy is to be.

Regards

TBS
Old Jan 21, 2007, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA Prem, LH Blue, Thai Gold ,KLM Ivory, Priority Club Plat, HiltonH Gold, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

I'm going to panic myself!!!!

Seriously, with my travel plan back from BUD on the 29th ( and working the next day) I have until Thursday evening to decide what to do ( when I fly to LHR then BUD the next morning). I wolud rather not be stuck overseas if there was a strike on so if the option is to allow the cancellation of tickets with a refund I will take it.

I guess at the moment it is a case to wait and see and see what the commercial policy is to be.

Regards

TBS
I have the company TA in the US booking me flights on BMI to cover the flighta I have when strike is on. So far so good as luckily they only involve LHR legs to EDI as I fly in and out on non -strike days Long haul.^
Old Jan 21, 2007, 12:56 pm

I am in the fortunate position of having two trips booked for the first round of the strike. I use the word 'fortunate' as I was planning on being a no-show for both
Old Jan 21, 2007, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by nbevan
Great tip: having just called the US again and being told there was no commercial policy yet, 800 727 800 immediately said that they could rebook me before or after the strike. I asked about another carrier the same day, and was told that there was no provision for this (yet), but I could try the airport ticket desk which may have more flexibility.
Indeed. I am impressed they have reacted this fast with a commercial policy ^ I just rebooked my RIX flight for the Mon/Tues of the first strike to a Sat/Sun at the end of Feb within about 2 minutes on that number. So they are rebooking quite 'happily' (in same class of travel, not same class of booking* - I explicitly asked so I could confirm here). Well, I say 'happily', the poor agent already sounded a bit harassed!

My booking has been updated and I should get a mail confirmation soon apparently.

Now, to change the hotel for that trip and worry about the other two scheduled to be hit by strikes 2 and 3 which are a bit more tricky

* but beware, my CE booking now has 0 Miles/TPs showing in my account so I fear they may have rebooked me in to U rather than C (the lowest available revenue bucket on my dates according to EF) each way. But that can (hopefully) be sorted out after the fact.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 1:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by AJLondon
Oh dear, I don't think a compromise is in sight.

Who'll break first? The Union or BA?
I think the answer will be #3. The customer

Lose enough of them and BA's employees won't have to worry about pensions at 55, they'll be lucky to still have jobs in 3 or 4 years.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 1:26 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Managed to call the Gold line before it closed. Wanted to deal with 2 out of 3 affected bookings:

1. A non-refundable WT+ -> Club MFU during strike 2. Agent stated:
- refund still not permitted
- date changes permitted within 2 weeks of original departure

I changed this to end of Feb. MMB is now showing 120 TPs and 7k miles instead of 150 TPs and 12k miles for the trip. I guess one sector has been booked in U class and the other in a revenue class. I already dread having to get this mess sorted.

2. A refundable (with £100 fee) W fare that i had MFUd to Club (timing during strike 3). This I actually wanted to cancel. Agent processed this, and was told that I would still be charged the £100. Agent also stated that miles should be back in my account immediately. Been over an hour now, and they still aren't back.

So,

Any experiences with the timing of cancelled MFUs mileage return to account?

Also will the £100 cancellation fee be covered under Amex (plat charge or BA Amex) insurance cover?
Old Jan 21, 2007, 1:30 pm

Yay, after speaking to a supervisor, BA have agreed to book me on the GB flight to Innsbruck.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 1:31 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

AJ, Is the rebooking option still subject to recalculation of APD?
Old Jan 21, 2007, 1:32 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Hi,
I am quite new to all this.

I'm going on my honeymoon on the 31st, flying LHR-MIA with BA, then taking AIR MEXICANA to Cancun a few hours later.

If BA give me a flight next day,am I in my rights to get BA to pay for me changing my MIA-CAN flights and also getting them to pay for me changing my hotel booking in Cancun?

As due to the strike i will lose 1 day of my holiday, so i want to extend it by 1day.

Does anyone know what my rights are?

Also i'm a silver member, what kind of compensation can i look for?

Thanks in advance to a very worried guy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.