First strike dates - 29th-31st of Jan

Old Jan 21, 2007, 2:46 pm

BBC News 24 has just reported that the second strike dates will actually be 6th-8th Feb. As I have a flight on the 5th, then PHEW!
Don't sight with relief just yet! Although there will be no strike on 5th Feb, there will likely be heavy disruption due to aircraft and crews being in the wrong locations.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 2:52 pm

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, Le Club Plat
Originally Posted by Jenbel
not sure about BA - but your travel insurance may cover you, since you booked before the dates were known, so I'd check it before you go to see what your cover is.
ooops ... never did get round to taking out Spanish travel insurance ... my annual travel insurance only covers flights that that originate in Ireland, not TFS-anywhere

By compensation, just meant would they pick up the hotel bill ? Not a disaster if they don't
Old Jan 21, 2007, 2:53 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by bealine
Don't sight with relief just yet! Although there will be no strike on 5th Feb, there will likely be heavy disruption due to aircraft and crews being in the wrong locations.
bealine, can you confirm there is no strike on the 5th, contary to BA and the unioin statement that says 5-7 Feb?

There appears to be some confusion...
Old Jan 21, 2007, 2:53 pm

Programs: BA Prem, LH Blue, Thai Gold ,KLM Ivory, Priority Club Plat, HiltonH Gold, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by linenbasket
Hmm
Im flying out from LHR-JFK in J on the 11th....close call
I expect it will be packed from rebookings!
Me too on ORD -LHR in F
Old Jan 21, 2007, 2:55 pm
jhm

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
I might even get to shout at BA ground staff in TXL for their abhorred colleagues in Cabin Services. That's just my view (I won't actually shout at them but would like to)! It will make me feel better. If they want to piss the passengers off then I can piss them off.
Why ? They may have had nothing at all to do with the strike going ahead but even if they had, these sort of issues are usually so complex (with both sides giving their own version) and emotional, that I'm certainly not going to "blame" either the staff or the company without being very sure of the facts (which I'm not).
Old Jan 21, 2007, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by bealine
bealine - can you clarify why there would be crew and aircraft out of place and/or heavy disruption on the 5th? If this is (contrary to ba.com and other news sources) the day before the 2nd strike, shouldn't it be (largely) unaffected by things since it will be the maximum time since the end of the first strike for things to get 'back to normal'...before the whole circus starts again the next day?

Rebooking line now constantly engaged - oh to be one of the Super Golds with the proper helpdesk not this 'now closed' bollox
Old Jan 21, 2007, 2:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Amex Platinum, BA Amex PP, SPG Gold
LHR to CPT booked 11 ½ months ago (WT+ MFU’d to CW), 2 ½ weeks of accommodation and a safari all of which can’t cancelled at this point.

Supposed to be flying out on the 31st Jan.

Absolutely gutted at the news , I just want to go on holiday and not looking forward to a potential downgrade as flights will be so full.

This uncertainty with BA will seriously influence my decision when booking in the future and I’m sure I’m not alone in this.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
... I might even get to shout at BA ground staff in TXL for their abhorred colleagues in Cabin Services. That's just my view (I won't actually shout at them but would like to)! It will make me feel better. If they want to piss the passengers off then I can piss them off.
I can understand your frustration, but I know of BA ground staff who are just as frustrated by this as you are. It really wouldn't be fair to take it out on them, especially as they'll be the ones who'll be trying to help you sort things out.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 3:10 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by chrishow
LHR to CPT booked 11 ½ months ago (WT+ MFU’d to CW), 2 ½ weeks of accommodation and a safari all of which can’t cancelled at this point.

Absolutely gutted at the news , I just want to go on holiday and not looking forward to a potential downgrade as flights will be so full.
Blimey, I'm so sorry about that. Yours does certainly seem to be the worst-affected case so far.

I do hope you have comprehensive travel insurance.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 3:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I have a booking for parent in Z on QF for LHR-BKK on the 11th connecting to BA for BKK-SYD on the 12th. There are unsurprisingly no Z seats on QF available on the 12th;

would it be reasonable to assume that BA should be able to reprotect the BKK-SYD flight if it doesn't operate. Given that BA doesn't have too many flights from BKK, I assume that they shouldn't have too much difficulty rebooking onto another flight or is this a bad assumption

Dave
Old Jan 21, 2007, 3:19 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Priority Club Platinum Ambassador, Amex Plat, BA Amex Black, Pri. Pass, Marriott Silver
I was about to book some TP earning ET flights out to places like CDG and LIN during the Mon-Weds of these dates. Do any I have any other options for full BA TP-earning carriers that I could use instead for these dates and thus manage to increase my BA TPs but on non-BA metal?

Programs: BA Silver, MU Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I plan to buy a W+ ticket and burn AM miles to J on 8 Feb to HKG.(haven't tried BA J before). Should I just leave it and just try it later? IF I chose BA finally,what would i get if my flight was affected?(I am only CX Sapphire). Would I be downgraded on QF/CX flight?

Programs: BA Silver, Priority Club Platinum Ambassador, Amex Plat, BA Amex Black, Pri. Pass, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by chrishow

This uncertainty with BA will seriously influence my decision when booking in the future and I’m sure I’m not alone in this.
I'm so sorry for you - really. What a nightmare
Old Jan 21, 2007, 3:21 pm
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
From a quick check of BA.com it seems that as well as closing all flights from 29-31 Jan to new bookings, they have also closed all the flights 1-4 February (I guess to handle the overspill from the strike dates?). I was just about to book some flights for 1-2 Feb - looks like I'll have to sample the delights of some other airlines for a change!
Old Jan 21, 2007, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by ny911
I plan to buy a W+ ticket and burn AM miles to J on 8 Feb to HKG.(haven't tried BA J before). Should I just leave it and just try it later? IF I chose BA finally,what would i get if my flight was affected?(I am only CX Sapphire). Would I be downgraded on QF/CX flight?
Booking (on ba.com at least) has been suspended for the strike periods now anyway by the looks of a quick check I just did. Only a madman would attempt to book on BA now during the uncertainty unless they absolutely had to be there...and only a TOTAL madman would book on BA right now if they absolutely had to be somewhere since they'll likely not get you there! Yes, "try it" later would be the only sane advice...

Anyone who manages to book a brand new flight on a strike date now don't come crying back here if you're stranded. There has been ample warning.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.