Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tesco and BA [2007 archive]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2007, 2:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by uk1
The extra detail is interesting. It's clear it was more than simply using the same slip over and over again but he made copies of it. Also I guess the 154 transactions in a two month period must have meant - and they say he was doing it several times a day - probably whilst on his police duties!

I find the Tesco comment disturbing, and I'm disturbed that the judge didn't seem to pick this up as in my view it's pivotal:

"Kay Clements, the operations manager for Tesco, told the court: “We knew about the situation at the trials stage . . . we have calculated the loss and it is not enough to warrant the investment of putting a reader in every machine.”

I'd very much like to see a judge say to Tesco "Well if you have calculated the loss and it is not enough to warrant the investment of putting a reader in every machine - then take the loss and stop wasting the court's and police's time until you are prepared to take the basic measures you are fully aware of to prevent the crime. The criminal justice system isn't there to save Tesco's irresponsible lack of investment in IT".
I absolutely agree - what this man did was wrong but we're talking about Clubcard points not gold bullion. So he exploited Tesco's considered decsion not to prevent this happening - big deal!
Old Mar 27, 2007, 3:43 am

Programs: CX Gold, SPG Plat, PC Plat, TAP Gold
Originally Posted by uk1
The extra detail is interesting. It's clear it was more than simply using the same slip over and over again but he made copies of it. Also I guess the 154 transactions in a two month period must have meant - and they say he was doing it several times a day - probably whilst on his police duties.

He wasn't making copies, he was scanning and then using a fake coupon (i.e. a bit of scrap paper) to fool the machine into thinking the coupon was handed over.

Now I presume the illegal bit was the above.

If he had actually inserted the real coupons each time then I presume he wouldn't have broken any laws, but might have still been in abuse of the Clubcard.

OK let me recall the circumstances of that Temporary Clubcard extravaganza:
It was possible to get one voucher per transaction by using a new Clubcard each time. Now in theory you could get a voucher for spending 1p on a small carrot or something. If it was done repeatedly, does that constitute fraud?
Old Mar 27, 2007, 5:15 am
uk1
Suspended

The other interesting comment in the article was:
"Ms Leigh told the court that in September 2005 the officer had legally taken advantage of a Tesco promotion involving Birds Eye meals. In three days he bought 759 of the cheapest meals and received 38,000 Clubcard points."
If this wasn't illegal - why was it allowed to be brought to the attention of the court? It seems that the implication was that although it was legal it wasn't quite right and was an example of negative behaviour of the defendant.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 5:26 am

Programs: BA Gold
It seems a clear attempt to defraud Tescos of clubcard points, I think that's a no brainer. What's also a no brainer is that Tesco's beancounter preferred to make an example of him (cheap) than upgrade their terminals (expensive). But then what more can you expect - Tesco's are just that - beancounters.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 5:51 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Originally Posted by philco
It seems a clear attempt to defraud Tescos of clubcard points, I think that's a no brainer. What's also a no brainer is that Tesco's beancounter preferred to make an example of him (cheap) than upgrade their terminals (expensive). But then what more can you expect - Tesco's are just that - beancounters.
And there was I thinking that Tesco were beansellers !
Old Mar 27, 2007, 6:09 am

Programs: BA IHG
Originally Posted by philco
Exactly - I'm sure Tesco's couldnt care less about the points involved in this case but they need to make an example because this kind of activity is probably more wide spead (they probably even made sure the case had maximum publicity in the revelant newspapers)

All these offers which come along (beef,biscuits etc) which can be taken advantage of are perfectly fair game and should continue to be exploited to there maximum (legally of course) - but that just results in them being shut down sooner - but that's all part of the game in the end (and it's actually a very effective way for Tesco to move sh.t loads of stock they may not want).
Old Mar 27, 2007, 6:09 am

Programs: BA Gold
Red face

Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
And there was I thinking that Tesco were beansellers !
Hmm. You have a good point. Curses.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 6:34 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by cmcbugg
........... (and it's actually a very effective way for Tesco to move sh.t loads of stock they may not want).
.......... don't you mean stock loads of sh.t?
Old Mar 27, 2007, 8:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by cmcbugg
Exactly - I'm sure Tesco's couldnt care less about the points involved in this case but they need to make an example because this kind of activity is probably more wide spead (they probably even made sure the case had maximum publicity in the revelant newspapers)
Actually the decsion to prosecute would not be Tesco's although obviously they would have reported the matter. I suspect that the police found themselves in a difficult position because, as the offender was a serving policeman, they are almost compelled to take action or be accused of looking after one of their own.

I believe that if he hadn't been a policeman this would never have got to court.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 4:53 am

Deal of the Day

For those that might want to be nice to their "olds" this easter...Deal of the day is 32 Easter bouquet inc delivery and 500 bonus points plus.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 5:15 am

Programs: BAEC Blue
Originally Posted by yahyahdarling
For those that might want to be nice to their "olds" this easter...Deal of the day is 32 Easter bouquet inc delivery and 500 bonus points plus.
Good spot. Looks like flowers for the the parents and the outlaws ...
Old Apr 5, 2007, 5:31 am

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush.
Thumbs down

Are the flowers specifically for us OLDS!
OLDS! An objectionable description!
yahyahdarling! The OLDS were happy to help you with ALL your requests for help.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 5:40 am

Programs: PC RA, Hertz PC, (Flybe) Premier card, Tesco Platinum
That said, the Mothers Day flowers were pretty disappointing so I think that this time I'll stay away.

Last edited by Macspreader; Apr 5, 2007 at 6:24 am
Old Apr 5, 2007, 6:16 am
uk1
Suspended

Apart from anything else, there's no room left in the garage beside the wine lake for the flowers.

Last edited by uk1; Apr 5, 2007 at 6:45 am
Old Apr 5, 2007, 6:51 am

Programs: PC RA, Hertz PC, (Flybe) Premier card, Tesco Platinum
I know exactly what you mean

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.