Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Well On Topic: Glad I'm not on Max Jet today, er yesterday

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Well On Topic: Glad I'm not on Max Jet today, er yesterday

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2006, 12:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
He's probably driven them into a state of collapse, by correcting all the grammatical errors in all their printed information
Old Dec 11, 2006, 12:36 pm

After reading all posts in thread, we're shortly giving MY a try, out of LAS.

However, as shoddy as their F may be, I'm feeling grateful to HA, and their consistently reliable, award-winning on time service that will get us to LAS.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Kinda worries me about VS premium loads, if you were the only premium pax onboard, it is a well serviced route though so maybe not too serious.
You mis-read it We were the only pax on the ENTIRE plane - in any cabin! 12 of us in Upper and the 20 crew.

VS has a problem the day before with the flight out of LHR to JFK (dumped fuel and returned to LHR and then an aborted t/o on its second attempt). I am not sure of exactly what happened next, but I think VS cancelled the VS46 on Thursday night (since the plane never made it from LHR) and rebooked everyone across other services...but did eventually fly out a replacement service from LHR to get the original pax on (VS45??) out to JFK. Thus they had an extra plane at JFK on Friday. The normal scheduled services operated just fine. That extra plane, however, was otherwise going to be ferried back to LHR empty that night as VS146 (i.e. just before the scheduled VS46 for that day which also operated as usual). Instead, VS seemed happy to accept the 12 MY pax smart enough to ask.

Pretty much a once-in-a-lifetime situation I reckon, which is why it was so cool. Couldn't resist a wander back through PE/Y to check it out. First time I've sat in a longhaul Y seat for years Also the first time ever (and likely to be the last if 'once-in-a-lifetime' holds!) I ventured back in PJs

Dunno about the light-fitting...was too busy drinking

Originally Posted by Jenbel
He's probably driven them into a state of collapse, by correcting all the grammatical errors in all their printed information
Now, now I've only had a quick glance at the MY booklet I got from the outbound, and all looks well. The same can't be said for VS, however, who clearly share the same useless editorial staff as BA:

"From December 2006 the Premium Economy cabin will have it's [sic] own devoted cabin crew to guarantee prompt and attentive service"

I noticed this whilst casually browsing the site out of interest after my positive trip with them and absolutely not checking to see if I'd lucked in to their system giving me miles for my flight, oh no

Last edited by G-BOAC; Dec 11, 2006 at 12:50 pm
Old Dec 11, 2006, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by G-BOAC
You mis-read it We were the only pax on the ENTIRE plane - in any cabin! 12 of us in Upper and the 20 crew.

VS has a problem the day before with the flight out of LHR to JFK (dumped fuel and returned to LHR and then an aborted t/o on its second attempt). I am not sure of exactly what happened next, but I think VS cancelled the VS46 on Thursday night (since the plane never made it from LHR) and rebooked everyone across other services...but did eventually fly out a replacement service from LHR to get the original pax on (VS45??) out to JFK. Thus they had an extra plane at JFK on Friday. The normal scheduled services operated just fine. That extra plane, however, was otherwise going to be ferried back to LHR empty that night as VS146 (i.e. just before the scheduled VS46 for that day which also operated as usual). Instead, VS seemed happy to accept the 12 MY pax smart enough to ask.

Pretty much a once-in-a-lifetime situation I reckon, which is why it was so cool. Couldn't resist a wander back through PE/Y to check it out. First time I've sat in a longhaul Y seat for years Also the first time ever (and likely to be the last if 'once-in-a-lifetime' holds!) I ventured back in PJs

Dunno about the light-fitting...was too busy drinking
Lucky man, I have had a situation where there was only myself + 3 others on the UD which was a very nice experience, but never on the entire plane. Was the VS ameanity kit distributed to you in an envelope or has the shoebag made an appearance? Or is that a silly question and you were too busy drinking for that?

Last edited by Jimmie76; Dec 11, 2006 at 2:03 pm
Old Dec 11, 2006, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Lucky man, I have had a situation where there was only myself + 3 others on the UD which was a very nice experience, but never on the entire plane. Was the VS ameanity kit distributed to you in an envelope or has the shoebag made an appearance?
'Twas the socks + eyeshades + earplugs envelope. When I explained (apologetically ) to the FSM (who was very chatty) that I was normally a BA man and was enjoying the chance to check out VS she laughed and asked what else she could do to help. I asked what extras came in the amenity kit so I could compare the little details. She looked at me like I was a right sad b@st@rd (credit to VS on employing people with excellent perception skills ) and said it would be no problem. A toothbrush + Colgate, sewing kit (!), mini Kleenex pack, comb and a pen appeared. For real detail: only the pen and sewing kit are branded. I did not do a watery excrement test on the Kleenex
Old Dec 11, 2006, 2:20 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Glad to see u r joking there!!

Seriously now though, BA frequently have long delays, past month:

LHR-TXL 2 hours delay -Baggage discrepancy -Lost luggage
TXL-LHR 1 hour delay -no reason

LHR-HKG -3 hours late arriving -technical fault with "crew rest" facilities
HKG-LHR 2 hours late -Baggage problems

LHR-BSL -1 hour late -congestion
BSL-LHR -Overbooked, no reservation for me "overbooked" -they say they dont do overbooking, EC GOLD member?????????

LHR-JFK today, all flights late!
I would love to know WHY ARE THEY ALWAYS LATE??

Does anyone know the turnaround times for flights? Is it turnaround I.E. CE Seating conversion? Catering? WHY!!ARGH

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
The NBO flight had an overnight delay too... That means yesterday BA had two long delays whilst MY only had one. MY therefore is the clear winner in punctuality/reliability

Old Dec 12, 2006, 5:20 am

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
it gets worse! Monday's 1pm LAS flight was delayed to 3pm, then 4-15pm, then 7pm, then 7am Tuesday, then 8am, then 11-15am and has now just been cancelled altogether. Maxjet now have 2 of their 3 planes off sick, so todays IAD flight has also been cancelled again - and JFK is running late.

If I could cancel my Maxjet tickets to LAS for my xmas hols, I'd rebook on BA via LAX or SFO, especially with the current club offer. I don't really want to spend xmas at STN! I suppose 599 return was too good to be true.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA/BMI/RZGP Gold, AA/Amex Plat, IC Plat RA, HH Diamond, VS Silver
Something tells me G-BOAC's ultra low combined CCV, HVG, FSB and WNGH have completely screwed up the MY systems...

If you're on a dodgy Max Jet flight, you know who to blame...
Old Dec 12, 2006, 7:29 am

Programs: BA & VS
Pretty much a once-in-a-lifetime situation I reckon
Perhaps not!! I recall reading in the press of a similar situation a few years back that involved a BA 744 travelling from JFK to LHR with 1 person aboard. He was in WT originally but was upgraded to FIRST by the crew. The captain also invited him onto the flight deck for the approach and landing into LHR.

Still, I am sure 12 people on a A346 was quite something ^
Old Dec 12, 2006, 7:53 am

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by irmster
If I could cancel my Maxjet tickets to LAS for my xmas hols, I'd rebook on BA via LAX or SFO, especially with the current club offer. I don't really want to spend xmas at STN! I suppose 599 return was too good to be true.
Can you not enquire about rebooking onto Virgin ex-LGW?
Old Dec 12, 2006, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by flyclub
Can you not enquire about rebooking onto Virgin ex-LGW?
I don't think they are going to let me cancel a non changeable non refundable cheapo ticket more than a week ahead of the flight just because I'm concerned about their current lack of serviceable aircraft! Having said that, I've just emailed them asking about the prospects for next week.

Yesterdays LAS passengers were eventually put on to todays VS flight (VS even delayed their flight to give them time to get round the M25) and the ex-LAS passengers are also on VS. Given the VS LGW 744s only have 12 seats in J, I doubt if any of the MY passengers had G-BOAC's Upper Class experience though!
Old Dec 12, 2006, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

irmster - how are you finding out all this info? Inside Man? (Incidentally, that was a film on the MY IFE which I managed to watch on the outbound ).
Old Dec 12, 2006, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA/BMI/RZGP Gold, AA/Amex Plat, IC Plat RA, HH Diamond, VS Silver
Inside Man? (Incidentally, that was a film on the MY IFE which I managed to watch on the outbound ).
I told you to watch that on our outbound last month - if I remember rightly we kept on being interrupted by more champagne.... what did you think?
Old Dec 12, 2006, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Beany
Perhaps not!! I recall reading in the press of a similar situation a few years back that involved a BA 744 travelling from JFK to LHR with 1 person aboard. He was in WT originally but was upgraded to FIRST by the crew. The captain also invited him onto the flight deck for the approach and landing into LHR.

Still, I am sure 12 people on a A346 was quite something ^
And I remember reading about a BA flight several years back from narita to LHR with one passenger (a grandmother at that).
Old Dec 12, 2006, 12:21 pm

irmster - how are you finding out all this info? Inside Man? (Incidentally, that was a film on the MY IFE which I managed to watch on the outbound ).
nothing so exciting I'm afraid - just rang Maxjet a couple of times. It was a couple because the first person I spoke said the LAS flight had left 16:15 on Monday and he would not accept that it hadn't! The 2nd person gave me the info on what happened to the passengers (ie VS) but didn't have any further info on the status of the sick planes.

If Weds IAD flight is cancelled as well (odds on it is I would think), then that will be four cancellations, two 15+ hour delays and two 2 hour plus delays (out of 10 flights) in a week - can't be sustainable with the amount of money they must be paying out in compensation and putting PAX on other airlines - and I would think the FAA/CAA may take an interest in that sort of record.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.