Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Well On Topic: Glad I'm not on Max Jet today, er yesterday

Old Dec 8, 2006, 3:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA/BMI/RZGP Gold, AA/Amex Plat, IC Plat RA, HH Diamond, VS Silver

Well, I'm glad I wasn't on yesterday's flight from JFK on MaxJet... it's currently running around 16 hours late.

Have been receiving frustrated text messages all night from an un-named FTer and his cattle prod as he enjoys:
  • 2 aborted pushbacks
  • various engine parts being swapped in & out
  • inability to check for people who haven't searched on FT

he'd have been rebooked on VS had they not been either a) full and b) cancelled.

And just to help out... the STN-JFK's delayed too
Old Dec 8, 2006, 3:19 am

A lesson to stay away from noddy airlines
Old Dec 8, 2006, 3:23 am
jhm

And a link back to the original thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=603941

Glad it didn't happen to me when I flew MY a few weeks ago! I assume the cattle prod is doing overtime at the moment...
Old Dec 8, 2006, 3:26 am
Original Poster

Lol - yup - I think we've found the answer to his question of "What would you have done?"
Old Dec 8, 2006, 3:28 am

Oh dear - they showed such promise on the outbound leg apparently - but it would seem they've let our erstwhile flyer down....
Old Dec 8, 2006, 3:32 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
Originally Posted by schofs
  • inability to check for people who haven't searched on FT
Old Dec 8, 2006, 3:54 am

I think it's unfair to say that you shouldn't travel on maxjet because they had a long delay... yesterdays BA58 from CPT-LHR should have arrived at 0645, but didnt land until 2026.

Are you advocating we shouldnt travel on BA again because of that?
Old Dec 8, 2006, 3:58 am
jhm

Originally Posted by koksy
I think it's unfair to say that you shouldn't travel on maxjet because they had a long delay... yesterdays BA58 from CPT-LHR should have arrived at 0645, but didnt land until 2026.
... but the chances of a delay/cancellation on MY must be a lot higher than with BA given the number of planes which MY have ?
Old Dec 8, 2006, 4:01 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by jhm
... but the chances of a delay/cancellation on MY must be a lot higher than with BA given the number of planes which MY have ?
Indeed - and BA have greater resources to draw upon when things do go pear-shaped.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jhm
Originally Posted by koksy

Are you advocating we shouldnt travel on BA again because of that?
The NBO flight had an overnight delay too... That means yesterday BA had two long delays whilst MY only had one. MY therefore is the clear winner in punctuality/reliability

Old Dec 8, 2006, 4:38 am

I think what I'm getting it is that planes do break down occasionally, and it doesn't really matter who they belong to. A BA plane breaking down half way round the world is going to have exactly the same effect on the poor pax as the Maxjet flight breaking down at its home base. It's more how the airline deals with the aftermath that you should be taking into consideration.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 5:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Bronze, DL Plat UA, HHonors Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
The NBO flight had an overnight delay too... That means yesterday BA had two long delays whilst MY only had one. MY therefore is the clear winner in punctuality/reliability

Out of how many long haul flights operated by each?
Old Dec 8, 2006, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jabrams72
Out of how many long haul flights operated by each?
Hence the
Old Dec 8, 2006, 5:10 am
Original Poster

This just in from the un-named cattle-prodder:

Thanks For the SMSs and helpful info. I’ve woken up to.

Clearly, bored and somewhat peeved I took to SMSing (quite restrained for my standards in content though ) – sorry to anyone I woke up! JFYI, a nice little saga: we pushed back on time and waited a long time on the taxiway before being told there was a hydraulic issue and we had to return to gate. Fine. Maintenance came and fixed it, signed-off and back we pushed again. Same problem. This time, they decided the pump needed replacing on the left engine which would take about 3hrs. So they served us booze and meals. By the time that was done, I was dozing. But part replaced, just need to change the filters and we’re off. Except now they’re finding metal in the filters! I’m no expert, but that don’t sound good to me They said it needed towing to the hangar and we’d have to get off, new ETD 12:00 today. Realizing that would get me in at midnight UK time I pointed out that was a bit useless and asked what my options where. Rebook on today’s scheduled normal JFK-STN was one, try to get on VS in economy was the other (not even confirmed due to their canx messing up their seating – they’d been calling MaxJet earlier asking if they had space, apparently…I pity the people rebooked from VS on our flight!). I took the former. They gave us all rooms at the Ramada Plaza JFK (nice. Not – a small cockroach in my room, honestly! But just the one. That aside, it looks OK ). I’ve had a little sleep but got woken up by a call and thought I’d check online to make sure I had indeed been rebooked as promised. I’m going back to bed!

I think making sense of what you all sent me info wise: yesterday’s flight may or may not go today at 12:00 but I care not either way. I’m on tonight’s but according to the MaxJet site, that’s at least 4hrs late leaving STN so who knows. Though right now, the turnaround they have at JFK is so long, the JFK-STN is still showing on-time provided the outbound leaves. If.

Flight booked (IIRC) on the bmi Platinum M/Card which offers [deleted expletive]? AmEx Plat no use except for 150 for food/hotel but MY have sorted the hotel. There’s no EU Rules play either as it’s a US airline operating to the UK – rules only cover non-EU airlines on the ex-EU parts. Not even sure AmEx PP would help if I’d used it.

On the plus side, we were never short of info and the crew(s) were great, as was the station manager lady here who was lovely and true to her word re re-booking (which the useless MaxJet phone line said no to).

Wish me luck…best case, I’m home 24hrs late at 8:30am Saturday. That I can live with. Fingers crossed it gets no worse!

Last edited by schofs; Dec 8, 2006 at 5:20 am
Old Dec 8, 2006, 5:18 am
jhm

Originally Posted by Cattle Prodder
I pointed out that was a bit useless and asked what my options where. Rebook on today’s scheduled normal JFK-STN was one, try to get on VS in economy was the other
If I'd paid full price for MY (rather than a cheapie Ł600 ), I would not be a happy camper!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.