Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cabin Alarms

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2006, 2:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Amex Cent, SPG Gold, IC Plat Amb, Hilton Diam(given it though I'd never stayed in a Hilton)
Cabin Alarms

No doubt it's been mentioned and I will get directed to a thread but here goes...

Are the cabin 'bell' sounds available on the internet anywhere (I would like to use them in a talk I'm giving about the safety of patients in a hospital)?

Secondly, do we know what they mean e.g. take a 747: it usually had a two-tone bell when the flight deck are wanting attention and it seems to me if this sounds four times, it puts the crew on alert/requires CSD (other than the full blown 'alert call'). Does anyone know what the various signals are??
Old Dec 6, 2006, 2:42 am

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by starlight
No doubt it's been mentioned and I will get directed to a thread but here goes...

Are the cabin 'bell' sounds available on the internet anywhere (I would like to use them in a talk I'm giving about the safety of patients in a hospital)?

Secondly, do we know what they mean e.g. take a 747: it usually had a two-tone bell when the flight deck are wanting attention and it seems to me if this sounds four times, it puts the crew on alert/requires CSD (other than the full blown 'alert call'). Does anyone know what the various signals are??
Not sure where you would get them however as for the tones in the cabin.

The multiple tone (four dongs on the bell) tells the crew ATC have given the aircraft clearance to take-off next, or perhaps line up and wait on the runway sometimes without stopping at the holding point. Either way it won't be long until take-off!

As for the chime on the Airbus family (A319.20.21) this is quite an interesting one. The chime after take off indicates the nose gear is up and locked. Now I believe in the days when smoking was allowed, this would simultaneously switch the no smoking light off. As this is no longer the case it remains on yet the chime is still heard. So at least you know the landing gear has retracted!
Old Dec 6, 2006, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyclub
As for the chime on the Airbus family (A319.20.21) this is quite an interesting one. The chime after take off indicates the nose gear is up and locked. Now I believe in the days when smoking was allowed, this would simultaneously switch the no smoking light off. As this is no longer the case it remains on yet the chime is still heard.
The A330/340 family do this too - noticed it on CX on Monday night.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 2:45 am

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
The A330/340 family do this too - noticed it on CX on Monday night.
It will be interesting to know if the A380 will as well. I quite like it to be honest. As in my mind it kind of indicates 'a positive rate of climb' what with the crew retracting the landing gear. Unless it is just wishful thinking by the pilot part of me.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 2:56 am

Is there any point in new aircraft having no smoking signs nowadays? Everyone knows it's banned in 95% of the world. Perhaps BA's new aircraft could have 'no electronic devices' signs instead?
Old Dec 6, 2006, 3:00 am

Programs: BA Gold. Mucci Diamond Hairbursh & Mucci des Sacs Exotiques
Originally Posted by flyclub
...As in my mind it kind of indicates 'a positive rate of climb' what with the crew retracting the landing gear. Unless it is just wishful thinking by the pilot part of me.
Now you have gone and done it
I am a nervous flyer, particularly on take off, and now I will be freaking out if I don't hear that sound
Old Dec 6, 2006, 3:04 am

Programs: SQ-PPS+8, BA-Mucci Diamente, Mucci Siegneur des Bains Chauds
I actually use the Airbus airbourne and safe chime as an indicator to take off my shoes and place my cabin slippers on.

Until that point I always feel it best to stay booted in case of emergency. You neve know when you may have to kick someone out of your way in the rush to the emergency exit.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 3:18 am

I was reading in another PPlace this morning that crew are usually released from their seats when the flaps are fully retracted. Sort of relevant.

As to the OP the easiest souce would probably to lift the audio from a video using Audacity or similar. Or just generate it artificially.

Or you could check out Singapore_Air's trip reports and no doubt get the sound the the flushing toilet (possibly blocked by 'solid waste') as well as the chimes!
Old Dec 6, 2006, 3:35 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
Originally Posted by VC10 Boy
I actually use the Airbus airbourne and safe chime as an indicator to take off my shoes and place my cabin slippers on.

Until that point I always feel it best to stay booted in case of emergency. You neve know when you may have to kick someone out of your way in the rush to the emergency exit.
So long as you take your heels off for the slide, dear
Old Dec 6, 2006, 3:37 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by VC10 Boy

I seem to recall a newspaper article in the past couple of months that reported on accident survival and it said one of the best things you could so was to keep your shoes on until after take-off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.