Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Libya it is then

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2005, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
As a Gold: 59,240 miles (via SIN)
As a Silver: 53,169 miles (via SIN)

I think......
Old Feb 22, 2005, 2:27 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by fbgdavidson
As a Gold: 59,240 miles (via SIN)
As a Silver: 53,169 miles (via SIN)

I think......
Mmmm, plus the 800TP I mentioned before. Where's the 'stroking one's beard' smiley face when u need it......
Old Feb 22, 2005, 3:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I can't seem to get any decent fares from ba.com - I have tried TIP to HKG/MIA/NYC and they all give me over 12,000 Dinars... What am I doing wrong?!
Old Feb 22, 2005, 4:08 pm

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
Immigration problems

So what are potential issues with getting visas and running into trouble when arriving or departing Tripoli? These fares seem very enticing, but not if there's a good possibility of running into serious problems. It would be great to visit though, see something new.

I'm not so concerned about having a Libyan stamp/visa. I have cuban stamps in my US passport, which has never raised flags in the US, and I don't plan on visiting Israel in the near future.

My father was put in prison in Libya for 4 months in the 1970s. They never did tell him what he had done wrong...

One more question... to which destinations and around what periods are the good fares available? Cheapest I am getting in J is LYD8000 and in F LYD10000.

Last edited by SchmeckFlyer; Feb 22, 2005 at 4:25 pm
Old Feb 22, 2005, 5:12 pm

Well AKL/SYD come good from TIP in F was LYD3862 and ranging round that bracket.

I have heard people say that HKG is also a destination that gets that flight price along with DEL.

Once the visa situation and ticketing issue is wrapped up we can start to write an ex-TIP guide, I hope.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 6:42 pm

Programs: QR Plat
For some reason I cannot find the link to the normal search tools, but my memory tells me there is at least a few threads in zee djerman forum (LH) regarding people having tried these enticing options. I also remember that there was success with the option, at least with two different ways:

a) have the tickets delivered in-transit at TIP and doing a turnaround (i.e. tickets had to be paid/printed in TIP, but aparently got fedex'ed to the chap, and left his checked luggage at LHR).

b) a lot of hushed PM'ing took place regarding someone knew a loophole on how the ticket could legaly be printed outside TIP an dbe brought along. This never was explained properly in public.

Also, one chap did speak of having completed a mixed carrer run to CGK using a combo of LX/LH/BA/SQ on the open IATA fares and having lived. As far as I can remember the dates, this was during the summer 2003, and should thus be before Mr. W moved TIP and surrounding areas from his axis of naughty to the axis of a bit naughty list.

Im tired, but if someone finds the search tools and finds the relevant threads the links should be posted here. I should also be accordingly flamed for being correct/wrong in what I remembered.

Also, another thread of info I'll hunt down in the morning is that I did speak to my TA a while back and she said they routinely did VISA-work for oil people going into TIP, and according to her that wasn't a huge issue apart from the fact that you might not be welcome again at the far end of the med.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by BA Loyal
I can't seem to get any decent fares from ba.com - I have tried TIP to HKG/MIA/NYC and they all give me over 12,000 Dinars... What am I doing wrong?!
Keep trying random dates - I got 11,000 to HKG in F for a few dates in April and then 2,300 popped up!
Old Feb 23, 2005, 2:49 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by ph-ndr
For some reason I cannot find the link to the normal search tools, but my memory tells me there is at least a few threads in zee djerman forum (LH) regarding people having tried these enticing options. I also remember that there was success with the option, at least with two different ways:

a) have the tickets delivered in-transit at TIP and doing a turnaround (i.e. tickets had to be paid/printed in TIP, but aparently got fedex'ed to the chap, and left his checked luggage at LHR).

b) a lot of hushed PM'ing took place regarding someone knew a loophole on how the ticket could legaly be printed outside TIP an dbe brought along. This never was explained properly in public.

Also, one chap did speak of having completed a mixed carrer run to CGK using a combo of LX/LH/BA/SQ on the open IATA fares and having lived. As far as I can remember the dates, this was during the summer 2003, and should thus be before Mr. W moved TIP and surrounding areas from his axis of naughty to the axis of a bit naughty list.

Im tired, but if someone finds the search tools and finds the relevant threads the links should be posted here. I should also be accordingly flamed for being correct/wrong in what I remembered.

Also, another thread of info I'll hunt down in the morning is that I did speak to my TA a while back and she said they routinely did VISA-work for oil people going into TIP, and according to her that wasn't a huge issue apart from the fact that you might not be welcome again at the far end of the med.

Don't understand why you seem concerned about having to have the ticket issued in TIP. I already have my ticket. There is no such thing as SITI/SOTI/SITO/SOTO anymore. If you want you can go to a BA ticket desk/Travel shop or your travel agent for the ticket, theres no problem. The only thing you do need to do is start your trip in TIP. If you tried to skip the TIP-LHR part, the nice man from BA Revenue Protection will be waiting (quite rightly) for you at the gate as you try to board the A/C in LHR.

Last edited by Brian_1; Feb 23, 2005 at 3:00 am
Old Feb 23, 2005, 2:52 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by lucab1982
Hell yes, using BA.com and selecting Libya as the country.

What is a PTA?
PTA = Prepaid Ticket Advice
Old Feb 23, 2005, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by Brian_1
Don't understand why you seem concerned about having to have the ticket issued in TIP. I already have my ticket. There is no such thing as SITI/SOTI/SITO/SOTO anymore. As long as you go to a BA ticket desk or Travel shop or have your travel agent issue the ticket theres no problem. The only thing you do need to do is start your trip in TIP. If you tried to skip the TIP-LHR part, the nice man from BA Revenue Protection will be waiting (quite rightly) for you at the gate as you try to board the A/C in LHR.
So theoretically could you book a one way award ticket (12500 miles + tax) LHR - TIP. Outgoing/incoming flight. Hand luggage only leaving luggage at LHR. Not clear customs, immigration etc. and b2b flight? Is there any way of issuing BP at gate if you have already checked in online for the return journey? Can LHR issue BP for return leg even if they are on separate PNR? Anyone have any experience of TIP airport? If its true looks like £1500 in F for SYD!!!!! ^
Old Feb 23, 2005, 3:19 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by BRSlad
So theoretically could you book a one way award ticket (12500 miles + tax) LHR - TIP. Outgoing/incoming flight. Hand luggage only leaving luggage at LHR. Not clear customs, immigration etc. and b2b flight? Is there any way of issuing BP at gate if you have already checked in online for the return journey? Can LHR issue BP for return leg even if they are on separate PNR? Anyone have any experience of TIP airport? If its true looks like £1500 in F for SYD!!!!! ^
Don't waste your miles like that: Part-miles part-cash is 9k miles+22.50+tax.

I wouldn't assume being a transit passenger gets you out of visa requirements - it does in most countries but Libya can decide it requires you to clear immigration even when transiting. I think someone brought this up in the past. Anyone?
Old Feb 23, 2005, 3:22 am

Theoretically they wouldn't let you fly to TIP without a visa hence regardless if you are coming straight back or not.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by graraps
I've gotten Opodo to price absurdly cheap (750 quid or so) LH F fares to China for me from a place where LH doesn't even fly to!
I'm sorry if this is a bit O/T (wrong forum and all), but since I've read it here: what place are you referring to? I'm planning a Japan / China trip and would be extremely interested in these fares...

Thanks,

Zaphod
Old Feb 23, 2005, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Zaphod:

TIP is Tripoli. If you can't face going through Libya, you'll find the cheapest Club fares currently ex-Milan and ex-Athens (or even ex-Brussels at present). Have a play around changing the country of origin on ba.com and price it from different European capitals.

Club to HKG ex Athens was c Euro 2000 on certain dates last time I priced it. I did Tokyo ex Vienna last year and it was £1,800 in Club.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by lucab1982
Theoretically they wouldn't let you fly to TIP without a visa hence regardless if you are coming straight back or not.
Visa is GBP22.00 from Thamesconsular. Would a Plane Ticket and a fax from a hotel be enough?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.