Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Libya it is then

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2005, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by Brian_1
Spoke to a lovely lady at the Libyan Embassy here in London.

You need a sponsor in Libya to obtain a tourist visa. You no longer need to have your passport translated into Arabric ("unless you want to" the lady advised).

So, I have been given this tour company as a contact www.winzrik.com

Hopefully they might be able to sort it out for me. Think I'll spend two nights in TIP now (if I get a visa) as there seems to be quite a lot to see and do.

Fingers crossed!!!!
Keep us informed. I for one will be considering TIP for my next Oz trip.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 9:36 am

Can you not just do a back to back without leaving the airport?
Old Feb 22, 2005, 9:51 am

Programs: BA Gold
Well without a visa I suppose they would have to send you back and if you are booked on the next flight even better!
Old Feb 22, 2005, 9:53 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by BRSlad
Can you not just do a back to back without leaving the airport?
Dunno! I would be keen if anyone knows.

Last edited by Brian_1; Apr 1, 2005 at 3:49 am
Old Feb 22, 2005, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Is it not as simple as booking a hotel and then getting the hotel to fax you a confirmation / invite? I seem to remember this is what I did going to Russia 3-4 years ago.

By the way, just found Hong Kong in FIRST for £1000 in April ex TIP !

Last edited by RJB; Feb 22, 2005 at 10:40 am
Old Feb 22, 2005, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by yorweb
A single to TIP costs just 12500 airmiles + £38.50 tax.
Where did you find that? 'The AirMiles company'? BA's fare is pretty expensive.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
one of the pitfalls spotwelder had identified was how to get the tickets in the first place? There isn't a BA ticket office at the airport (if i interpreted his jet-lagged and fevered (poor lamb) gibbering correctly ), so how do you get the ex-TIP leg ticketed? Comments from those ticketed on this would be interesting....
Old Feb 22, 2005, 10:35 am

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by Jenbel
one of the pitfalls spotwelder had identified was how to get the tickets in the first place? There isn't a BA ticket office at the airport (if i interpreted his jet-lagged and fevered (poor lamb) gibbering correctly ), so how do you get the ex-TIP leg ticketed? Comments from those ticketed on this would be interesting....
Forgive if I have lost the plot somewhere, although I thought that all BA flights can be E-tickets or did I miss read somewhere. Consequently, the need for getting the ticket 'ticketed' is thus removed?
Old Feb 22, 2005, 10:49 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by lucab1982
Where did you find that? 'The AirMiles company'? BA's fare is pretty expensive.
Its BAmiles. 12500miles plus taxes/charges.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 10:57 am
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyclub
I thought that all BA flights can be E-tickets
There are some exceptions, and TIP is one of those exceptions: http://www.britishairways.com/travel...e/public/en_sa
Old Feb 22, 2005, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by KVS
There are some exceptions, and TIP is one of those exceptions: http://www.britishairways.com/travel...e/public/en_sa

Check this out with BA reservations. Chances are they will organise a PTA for you with an airline that does have a ticket desk in TIP. Be prepared to pay for this however - if I remember correctly BA charges GBP25 for ISSUING PTAs (ie when they print tickets for another Airline), so it might be worth finding out how much you will need to pay the issuing airline.

Another thing to note is that PTAs can take a long time to process, depending on the carrier. On a good day, a ticket desk will print out all their PTAs first thing in the morning, or the night before. On a bad day, any of the following could happen:

1. They didn't receive a telex from BA asking them to issue the PTA

or
2. Their system doesn't accept the fare structure or the tax calculations.

Be very very careful with this and make sure you've got enough time in TIP to sort this one out.....
Old Feb 22, 2005, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by RJB

By the way, just found Hong Kong in FIRST for £1000 in April ex TIP !

Where did you find that fare? Are you using BA.com?
Old Feb 22, 2005, 12:02 pm

Hell yes, using BA.com and selecting Libya as the country.

What is a PTA?
Old Feb 22, 2005, 12:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Originally Posted by exBAres
Another thing to note is that PTAs can take a long time to process, depending on the carrier. On a good day, a ticket desk will print out all their PTAs first thing in the morning, or the night before. On a bad day, any of the following could happen:

1. They didn't receive a telex from BA asking them to issue the PTA

or
2. Their system doesn't accept the fare structure or the tax calculations.

Be very very careful with this and make sure you've got enough time in TIP to sort this one out.....
Alternatively, doing what I do when I'm stuck somewhere and I'm waiting for the delivery of a PTA to save me, is badger them every 30 seconds until they have printed it out!
Old Feb 22, 2005, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Ok. My interest is growing (plus the other half has just noticed me reading this thread and wants me to find more out about anything which can take us to Sydney in FIRST.... )

Therefore, how many BA Miles would we get each for the flight originating in TIP (via say SIN, from LHR, of course, to SYD). I can pretty much deduce we would get 800 tier points each assuming Club Europe to TIP.

I'm EC Gold and she is Silver........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.