FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Libya it is then (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/402536-libya-then.html)

Funster Feb 20, 2005 5:42 pm

Libya it is then

Been away for a while - my new job is keeping me effin' busy. Sadly, minimal air travel now required. If only Southwest Trains had an equivalent to EC.....

Anyway, was fumbling around for hols to India in August - I know, I know, shockingly bad time to go, but such are the rigours of the new job!

Was intrigued to find out about F fares, so here's what I found:

LHR-DEL-LHR (out 06-08, ret 13-08)
£5109.60

LIS-LHR-DEL-LHR-LIS
€4979.45

ARN-LHR-DEL-LHR-ARN
SEK46,146.00

MXP-LHR-DEL-LHR-MXP
€3630.20

And, the daddy of them all.....
TIP-LHR-DEL-LHR-TIP
LYD2357.85 (a whacking £1002.31!!!!!)

Time to start planning in seriousness! :p

pauldb Feb 21, 2005 1:24 am

Originally Posted by Funster

Just bear in mind that spotwelder trailblazed the ex-TIP routing and has been MIA for months :eek:

(though Jenbel assures us all is well and he'll be back soon :D )

fraisse10 Feb 21, 2005 1:56 am

How exactly do you check so many options? Expedia? I can't check these fares on BA.com without resetting cookies every time (can I)? Sorry to be such an information-age wimp, but it's my age!

pauldb Feb 21, 2005 2:14 am

I like ITA (http://beta.itasoftware.com) as it's pretty fast. Select more options, untick "check seat availability (so you don't miss a fare because flights are full) and change the sale city to the departure city (to not fall foul of regional sales restrictions). You can add multiple cities but it isn't reliable - just do one search, then modify and so on.

Then use an open dated search (this will list fares not flight options) at travelocity to check fare details.

nonsoloinglese Feb 21, 2005 2:48 am

Expedia doesn't seem to allow pricing tickets from TIP, 'Destination currently unavailable' is coming up.

However ITA works, F to AKL/SYD was around the $3000, amazing...

Jenbel Feb 21, 2005 5:06 am

Originally Posted by pauldb
Just bear in mind that spotwelder trailblazed the ex-TIP routing and has been MIA for months :eek:

(though Jenbel assures us all is well and he'll be back soon :D )

I don't think that he ever managed to do it.. although he tried very hard. Anyway, he's currently (so far as I know, but he is a hard man to keep track of) in the Phillipines....

OTOH - you've only got my word for that :D ;)

yorweb Feb 21, 2005 5:16 am

A single to TIP costs just 12500 airmiles + £38.50 tax.

Brian_1 Feb 21, 2005 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Funster
Been away for a while - my new job is keeping me effin' busy. Sadly, minimal air travel now required. If only Southwest Trains had an equivalent to EC.....

Anyway, was fumbling around for hols to India in August - I know, I know, shockingly bad time to go, but such are the rigours of the new job!

Was intrigued to find out about F fares, so here's what I found:

LHR-DEL-LHR (out 06-08, ret 13-08)
£5109.60

LIS-LHR-DEL-LHR-LIS
€4979.45

ARN-LHR-DEL-LHR-ARN
SEK46,146.00

MXP-LHR-DEL-LHR-MXP
€3630.20

And, the daddy of them all.....
TIP-LHR-DEL-LHR-TIP
LYD2357.85 (a whacking £1002.31!!!!!)

Funster, what can I say except..................THANK YOU!! ;)

Just booked myself TIP-LHR-SIN-SYD-AKL-SYD-SIN-LHR-TIP for Euro2423.93 (ABOUT GBP1719.00) All ticketed.

BA told me it's an IATA fare (theoretically you can combine it with other carriers) so it's 100% legit. It's booked in F & J as well, so no A or D class.

Just think of the bonus miles I'm gonna get!!!!!

Swanhunter Feb 21, 2005 9:39 am

Brian_1 - not wishing to spoil the party but have you checked out he ease (or lack ) of getting a Libyan visa. It's not the most accessable country in the world.

Brian_1 Feb 21, 2005 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Brian_1 - not wishing to spoil the party but have you checked out he ease (or lack ) of getting a Libyan visa. It's not the most accessable country in the world.

Visa is GBP22.00 from Thamesconsular. The fare is refundable if I don't get my visa. I've always wanted to visit Libya, so now I have an excuse.

firstclasslad Feb 21, 2005 10:03 am

I was just about to say the same thing...

I've been working out how to get this visa for a while... the cheapest option adds £700 to the TIP fares... but I'm determined to find a cheaper way. At leats his TIP fare is refundable :)

graraps Feb 21, 2005 10:21 am

Opodo works fine

I've gotten Opodo to price absurdly cheap (750 quid or so) LH F fares to China for me from a place where LH doesn't even fly to!

Swanhunter Feb 21, 2005 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Brian_1
Visa is GBP22.00 from Thamesconsular. The fare is refundable if I don't get my visa. I've always wanted to visit Libya, so now I have an excuse.

I'd agree with the price for the visa - but these two bits are a bit more complicated:

*Business support letter

*Visa authorisation telex/invitation with reference number obtainable through client in Libya

Let us know how you get on with these as it could unlock a great low fares option.

firstclasslad Feb 21, 2005 11:22 am

*Visa authorisation telex/invitation with reference number obtainable through client in Libya

That's the hard part!

Or just book a tour package into Libya for £615... Once you pass Libyian immigration.... either go and Check-in or check in at the end of the tour holiday!

Just a pain to add on £615 each time for TIP fares!!!! :mad:

Unless you combien two TIP fares in a tour package trip... ;)

PUCCI GALORE Feb 21, 2005 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Jenbel
I don't think that he ever managed to do it.. although he tried very hard. Anyway, he's currently (so far as I know, but he is a hard man to keep track of) in the Phillipines....

OTOH - you've only got my word for that :D ;)

Now I know he was cross after his bike got nicked, but really that is an awfully long way to go and sulk.

Excuse me. I've more TIPs under my belt than the rest of you put together. It was BCALs mega money spinner and the only one where we had to ration the booze to 2 shots of spirit, one wine, and one after dinner. Otherwise they were paralytic the lot of them.