Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Triple Miles with Travelex is back

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2005, 7:53 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, British Airways ID, Lloyds TSB Visa Debit Card
Originally Posted by RJB
If you pay no commission, just buy a pile of Sterling TC's and pay them straight into your bank account. Unlimited BA miles for nothing - albeit only 1 mile per £. And make sure you buy in cash, or it will take 20 minutes to get authorisation for your Switch card.
What an excellent idea. It's exempt from the Triple-Miles offer, but it's something that can be done at any point, ever, ever, ever.

Well done that man!

My bank have told me that I can't deposit TCs straight in to my account, but I can change them to cash without any comm. charges and can then deposit said cash in to my account. I wonder, however, if I were to change my £2,500.00 worth of £TCs (having earned 2,500 BAECMiles) in to £Cash at a Travelex branch, whether the second transaction would ALSO be classed as a purchase and would net me a further 2,500 BAECMiles.....

Last edited by Tits McGhee; Mar 7, 2005 at 7:59 am
Old Mar 7, 2005, 8:07 am

Programs: PC Amb., BA Blue
Originally Posted by Tits McGhee
as airline crew, I pay no commission

hi tits,
have you checked whether airline staff are eligible to claim miles, whilst taking advantage of free commision? no idea about your benefits, but in many other type of empoyee schemes, these kind of things don't offer points, ie. I doubt whether IC hotel staff are fellow Royal Ambassadors & earning points, whilst paying 20 euros a night.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
My bank have told me that I can't deposit TCs straight in to my account, but I can change them to cash without any comm. charges and can then deposit said cash in to my account. I wonder, however, if I were to change my £2,500.00 worth of £TCs (having earned 2,500 BAECMiles) in to £Cash at a Travelex branch, whether the second transaction would ALSO be classed as a purchase and would net me a further 2,500 BAECMiles.....
Your bank is WRONG. Loads of us did this last year during the Triple Miles promo and, as far as I can remember, no-one had any trouble paying TC's into there account. They are, basically, normal cheques - they have a sort code from the issuer etc - and are cleared the same way. I personally guarantee that HSBC will not cause you any hassle.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 8:28 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, British Airways ID, Lloyds TSB Visa Debit Card
Originally Posted by tristan727
hi tits,
have you checked whether airline staff are eligible to claim miles, whilst taking advantage of free commision? no idea about your benefits, but in many other type of empoyee schemes, these kind of things don't offer points, ie. I doubt whether IC hotel staff are fellow Royal Ambassadors & earning points, whilst paying 20 euros a night.
Haven't checked, but wouldn't imagine there to be a problem. Still, I'll just pay the £2.00 fee if it means getting the points.

As for the IC folks, I used to stay at the Holiday Inn Gatwick before my trips and got chatting to one of the lovely, though lacking in knowledge of the English language, receptionists there and gathered from the conversation that they DO accrue points even on employee rate stays.

Now, I only wish I could accrue miles when I operate flights
Old Mar 7, 2005, 8:47 am

Programs: CX Gold, SPG Plat, PC Plat, TAP Gold
...........but I can change them to cash without any comm.
This is surely even better than depositing as cheques because you won't have the 4/5 days of cheque clearing that can mess up your cashflow and of course the few days additional interest income.

However my bank (and I thought all) won't change Sterling TCs into cash without some sort of charge.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 9:43 am

Programs: BA Gold
This £2 Travelex deal, available everywhere or only in certain locations?
Old Mar 7, 2005, 10:31 am

Programs: CX Gold, SPG Plat, PC Plat, TAP Gold
Originally Posted by lucab1982
This £2 Travelex deal, available everywhere or only in certain locations?
Only LGW (both N and S terminals).
Posts above show that LHR T4 has a £3 offer for those with a BA boarding card.

Last year STN was also in the £2 commission sale, but I've heard nothing this year about whether that is still the case.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 12:57 pm

Programs: BA, EK, SPG
LHR T1 also has (or at least did 2 weeks ago) the £3 offer for those with a BA boarding card.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 1:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: BMI, VS, Marriott, SPG, HH*S, GoldPoints+
Travelex

My standard 3,000 miles for the £3k of £TC's I bought in Gatwick last month posted within 4 weeks . Only mileage x 1 so not truly worth the petrol of a special visit, but I had to sneek one in just to see if I could magic x 3 as per last year. Oh such sweet memories.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 1:58 am

Programs: BA/BMI/RZGP Gold, AA/Amex Plat, IC Plat RA, HH Diamond, VS Silver
Just for the record, the triple miles offer is now over

I just managed to sneak in there to change a few grand to Euros for a few months working in Spain ^

My miles initially posted as single miles, so a after quick email to Travelex CS at 7:30am this morning, got a reply at at 8:30 apologising and saying they'd add the miles - and they're not even meant to be at work for another 30 mins!

All in all Travelex - top notch service, and a great offer - ta ^ ^ ^
Old Mar 31, 2005, 2:26 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHilton Gold, *wood Gold and BA Amex Prem Plus
Originally Posted by schofs
My miles initially posted as single miles, so a after quick email to Travelex CS at 7:30am this morning, got a reply at at 8:30 apologising and saying they'd add the miles - and they're not even meant to be at work for another 30 mins!

All in all Travelex - top notch service, and a great offer - ta ^ ^ ^

Could you let me know the email address you used to sort this (I know it is somewhere on the board, but I just can't find it).

Thanks
Old Mar 31, 2005, 2:28 am

Programs: BA/BMI/RZGP Gold, AA/Amex Plat, IC Plat RA, HH Diamond, VS Silver
Originally Posted by mattjam
Could you let me know the email address you used to sort this (I know it is somewhere on the board, but I just can't find it).

Thanks
[email protected]
Old Mar 31, 2005, 2:54 am

Programs: BA Blue. 19695 Lifetime TPs
Originally Posted by oyster
Posts above show that LHR T4 has a £3 offer for those with a BA boarding card.
Travelex clerk at T4 airside that I encountered on 12 March claimed this offer was over by then.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 10:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
Earn 1 BA mile per £1 on TCCS

Has anyone tried to see if a EU BAEC card works for this...?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.