Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How FT can make your life really complicated!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How FT can make your life really complicated!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2004, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by apudme
Send the CT to FBG - he is a starving student and I am sure the under butler could mix it with a little caviar over at FBG Towers to make it palatable!
Why do I suspect that he 1) would rather have the miles and 2) has probably got a deal with Tesco wheer he gets 55 points per can, has bought a hanger full and is now feeding it to the ducks on the Thames or whatever....
Old Nov 22, 2004, 11:01 am

Programs: UA1P, SK S, BA B, SPG G, Hyatt G, HH G, HM Revenue & Customs Lifetime MilkCow Platinum Plus
Cool FT and working the system: My quiet revenge

Originally Posted by oyster
It's not wholly because of FT, though I do agree reading FT makes me focus even harder on ways to increase the points and miles.

My friends think I'm weird because I refuse to shop in places like John Lewis and Boots, and because I'd rather drive extra distance to visit a Tesco instead of a Somerfield or similar.

The fact that my dependants (if I had them) would only be covered by life insurance for a 2 month period twice a year!

That I would visit an airport, not to fly anywhere or collect anybody, but merely to get some sterling travellers cheques.

And I call it a hobby

I call it a hobby too. I think it is rather harmless, and even Mrs A now thinks that she can live with that (I wrote earlier about Travelex saga when I was trying to put it on my debit card and authorization involved a blood-chilling parade of cretins who made me listen to recorded music for a total of about 30 minutes - it put a weekend trip to VCE on a very shaky start).

Mrs A actually finds it rather comforting that her husband, otherwise not particularly reliable, always gets the family in comfort to nice places while her friends are amazed at how do you always know of all those deals? One of them has proudly stated: "I am absolutely computer illiterate. I think it is disgraceful that you're supposed to do everything on these computers". This lady recently complained that she had to pay 650 for an ECONOMY ticket to Madrid (I have no idea how it can be possible, but a helpful travel agent in Staines made the miracle happen).

My biggest (albeit wicked) joy comes from reading experiences of anti-BA, anti-travel-establishment and self-righteous dummies like Bill Bryson (a good writer and a complete dolt when it comes to any practical aspect of travel) or Lonely Planet crowd. I do have, in the words of JFK, a certain "sober satisfaction" in the fact that the people of militant and self-congratulatory ignorance ultimately subsidize my comfort and enjoyment of travel.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Attempting to explain to my very straightlaced boss why instead of flying straight home from JFK on an RTW ticket, I was routing myself JFK-MIA-LAX-ORD-SJU-DFW-LAX-LHR. That was NOT an easy conversation - I kept having to point out that the RTW would save a couple of grand, and that the US adventure was on my holiday time. I tried very hard not to mention the oodles of tier points and miles I'd get. I doubt I'll get another promotion!

The girlfriend is midly sceptical, but Concorde, BA First to Sydney, about 20 Starwood suite upgrades and a nice glass of champagne in the lounge every time we go away has helped.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Why do I suspect that he 1) would rather have the miles and 2) has probably got a deal with Tesco wheer he gets 55 points per can, has bought a hanger full and is now feeding it to the ducks on the Thames or whatever....
^ I was going to say that you should send it over!

Well at home my Mum thinks I am mad to the point of being driven insane, although she is happy to drip sell a few jars of coffee back to her office ^

My brother thinks I am equally mad

My Dad finds it all utterly hilarious that I'd come back from work with 40packs of biscuits for the sake of a few miles yet is astonished at how clever the FT resource pool is in working out all these deals

If we go out for a family I am the first to whip out black plastic at the dinner table and offer to pay knowing I will get reimbursed. I even go along food shopping with Mum in order to pay and stick it on Amex.....250miles at a time!

My girlfriend understood the concept (being American and a little more miles savvy than most Brits. I was surprised when she told me she had an FF account....and even more surprised when she said had more than one). She thought I was loopy for paying for broken phones in order to get miles and her brother found it hysterical! Although she is rather looking forward to our F trip to South Africa next year

As for me, well Flyertalk certainly keeps me occupied when I get bored (check post count ) but I have learnt a hell of a lot and meant some great and funny people.
From cheapskate brat flying on Daddys money to self-funded BA elite, semi-fledged, part-time Club World inhabitant on a student budget in 18months
Old Nov 22, 2004, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
My workmates thought I was mad with the palmiers, and are now rather amazed that I'll be in NCW (will MFU) on my next four holidays...... Bloke at the Sally Army was also rather shocked by the number of palmiers I gave them.
Old Nov 26, 2004, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I still haven't persuaded her to get her own BAA Visa card, though, yet. So I still have to "buy" her a pair of upgrade vouchers every time we go out to LHR together on the train - with my BAA Worldpoints, of course.
Bond Girl thinks I am a freak too, but that may be for other reasons...

Anyway Globaliser, just get her a supplementary card on your a/c and she'll never know except when it comes time to ride the HEX and you save yourself some points!
Old Nov 26, 2004, 8:25 pm

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
My new gf thinks i'm mad too! Just got metter now that we got upgraded from SIN-HKG and then HKG-SIN. First segment, I was traveling with my gf and her mom and we all got upgraded because of oversell and my status. Second segment was just my gf and I. And I got to take her to the CX F lounge for dinner. Now, she understands better why I'm crazy about FT!
Old Nov 27, 2004, 12:02 am

Programs: PC Amb., BA Blue
Unlike the others above - I have yet to receive an award trip yet to pacify the missus - who does think I have gone mad over the last few months & thinks she is constantly being forced to sign away her life's savings every time a financially-related tesco promo comes up. Explaining to her that having taken 5 years to get to 8k BA miles, then getting 50k over the last 3 months is a rather good thing, when conjoining it with the pending Amex voucher, invites a blank stare and further assesment of my state of mind. Any ideas for the ultimate BA metal 150k in 1st romantic holiday destination would be much appreciated.
Old Nov 27, 2004, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by tristan727
Any ideas for the ultimate BA metal 150k in 1st romantic holiday destination would be much appreciated.

Yes MRU ( One of the longest Flights for 50,000 K basic milage )( . I just used my 2-1 for 2 X F on this route. Also needed to burn an extra 150,000 k for my Son so 3 F Tickets cost me 300,000. To Get 3 tickets , in a School Holiday had to book 11 months in advance. ( The day the flights were made available).

You dont feel so bad about burning all those points during a great offer like the LP.

I have found that I get stressed if my BA miles bal goes below a certian level, as I constantly worry that these great milage earning oppotunities are going to be snatched away from us. ( I know that they probably wont, but I worry anyway).
Old Nov 27, 2004, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by jchand
Yes MRU ( One of the longest Flights for 50,000 K basic milage also from T 4 so you can use the Concorde lounge )( . I just used my 2-1 for 2 X F on this route. Also needed to burn an extra 150,000 k for my Son so 3 F Tickets cost me 300,000. To Get 3 tickets , in a School Holiday had to book 11 months in advance. ( The day the flights were made available).

You dont feel so bad about burning all those points during a great offer like the LP.

I have found that I get stressed if my BA miles bal goes below a certian level, as I constantly worry that these great milage earning oppotunities are going to be snatched away from us. ( I know that they probably wont, but I worry anyway).
My Big regret that I did not find FT early enough to enjoy the SPG star point promo , for buying , is it inside flyer mag or something , into Qantas miles at a promo rate , for BA miles. I think Concorde rtn flight were working out around 750 quid or something).

However have made it up via the Tesco route ever since.
Old Nov 27, 2004, 5:26 am

Programs: BA, BD, AF, LH, AA, EK, Hilton, ICHG, SPG
I must say I've found this a hugely enjoyable thread ^ ... confessions of fellow-addicts

Like several others, I think of it all as a hobby, but I am aware that it is a highly addictive one. When I achieved Gold via my RTW I was quite clear in my mind that retaining it on a self-funded basis, without another immediate RTW, was out of the question. Yet with a few I-class sale purchases and a couple of ex-LIS bargains added into everything else, here I am breathing down the neck of Gold renewal

Being single is a big help ... I don't need to justify my escapades to anyone, or 'seek permission' for anything. This is just as well, because I am absolutely convinced that most of my friends think I'm a bit crazy - and they don't know anything about Palmiers, L-P champers, etc! Outside of FT, I've only told a couple of people about my upcoming LHR-LIS-LHR turnaround trip. I mean, how do you explain something like that to 'normal' people?!

Of those who don't think I'm nuts, there are some who - I suspect - think I'm involved in dodgy scams and others who just assume that I'm minted. In fairness, I do also have friends who are envious in a thoroughly approving way of my various trips, but for one reason or another they are not in a position to follow my example.

One reason I enjoy FT do's so much is that it's an opportunity to swap stories with like-minded people without having to try to explain where the heck you're coming from. It's very easy to forget that the stuff we take for granted goes right over the heads of most people.
Old Nov 27, 2004, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by tristan727
Unlike the others above - I have yet to receive an award trip yet to pacify the missus - who does think I have gone mad over the last few months & thinks she is constantly being forced to sign away her life's savings every time a financially-related tesco promo comes up. Explaining to her that having taken 5 years to get to 8k BA miles, then getting 50k over the last 3 months is a rather good thing, when conjoining it with the pending Amex voucher, invites a blank stare and further assesment of my state of mind. Any ideas for the ultimate BA metal 150k in 1st romantic holiday destination would be much appreciated.
There was a thread on this a few months back - if you search under 'California' it should come up. I recommend a driving tour of California - out in F to SF, a few days there, drive down the coast to LA, across the desert to Vegas and the Grand Canyon, then back to SF for the flight home. The flight to the West Coast is also about the longest you can get for 50,000 miles (or 150,000 in F). A fantastic 2-3 weeks. But, as I said, if you can find the thread there are other opinions!
Old Nov 27, 2004, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA 3MM
Interesting thread.

With the Hurricane in Cayman displacing my family, I am doing a ludicrous amount of flying back and forth right now.... so AA PLT renewal not a problem at all.... last time over I spoke with an AA FT'er (he had FT and Exec Plt bag tags).... and he and his two daughters fly from the West Coast to London 6 times a year, using cheapo fares and the most circuitous routes possible, simply to maintain ExPlt status.....and stay in London for 4 or 5 nts max each time.

Now that, to me, is quite extreme, but on the other hand, makes this part of their lifestyle.

Count me in another group though.... I like to know everything possible about the details of flying, and take advantage of deals and offers when I can... call me a stickler for planning, but I see no harm in spending a little off time in researching such things... makes travelling easier, and if it gets me more miles (to make future travelling even easier), so be it.

Case in point, AA is sticking a US$250 each way surcharge on international upgrades for all upgrades requested after Dec 1st.... so guess who was on the phone last week making a few reservations for the next few months and requesting the upgrades ?

So, some of us fall into a slightly different category... I have done a MR once though.... tacked on a MIA/Freeport rt onto a trip to MIA to make sure I requalified PLT... for those not aware, that is about a 30" prop flight..... and as it was an MR, at least I do understand what it is like when the MR addicts have people looking at them like they are nuts when you clear immigration and customs and turn right around back through security to the gate !
Old Nov 28, 2004, 12:27 am

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
Single?

Is being single a function of spending time on FT? I would appear to have had a romantic attachment to some woman called Elizabeth by the amount of ex-LIS conversations.

As for the social life, JenBel's drinkies have certainly descended into parts of Clapham that I would not have been allowed into on my own!

Overheard on GatEx this week:
Ticket inspector "Two singles?"
Pax,"no, we are engaged".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.